Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 07:08AM

...driving at the time & what State, Province or Country were U in at the time???

Enquiring minds wanna know!!!

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 10:24AM

1956 Studebaker Skyhawk

19.9 cents per gallon

Las Vegas, NV

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 10:38AM

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 11:03AM

1966 Mustang

43.9 cents per gallon (I thought that when it hit .50 cents a gallon it would signal the end of the world)

Los Angeles during oil crisis in early-mid 1970’s

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 11:10AM

1966 Mercury Comet Cyclone

Southern Idaho

28.9 cents per gallon/ 1966
I think there was somewhat of a gas war at the time.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 11:22AM

24.9 cents per gallon Tom's U-serv 1100 S. State street Salt Lake. Can't remember the exact year but was early 1970s. Didn't cost a fortune to drag state street in the 289 V8 Bronco.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2022 02:37PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 05:42PM

I was in Ogden at the same time, 24.9 for gas. I filled up my VW and was able to get home on one tank.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 11:24AM

Going over my receipts for tax prep, I paid $.659 in early 2021.
That was $1.659/gal, minus $1.00/gal reward points earned at Stop & Shop supermarket. They limit the promotion to 20 gallons, or I'd load a 55-gal drum into my van.

Edit:

https://i0.wp.com/www.powerlineblog.com/ed-assets/2022/01/Screen-Shot-2022-01-08-at-1.27.54-PM.png?w=1360&ssl=1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2022 11:54AM by caffiend.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 12:19PM

I know as a kid it was in the teens. I worked at Gas N Go in Provo to get through BYU and I remember it being around 1.19 when I started or thereabouts. Self serve was just starting and we had both that and full service and we were always the lowest in town. Always real gas wars going on so it was up and down. That was 71 to 74.

My boss paid $3.00 and hour and saved my life as campus jobs paid $1.60 and I couldn't have made it. He let me work 60 hour plus weeks in the summer to save enough for the next year. Thank you, Mike. He gave me a hundred dollar Christmas Bonus that made me cry so he gave me another hundred. I feel sorry for anyone who has never been dirt poor. It's heaven.

Date: January 22, 2022 12:48PM

The future business and economics leaders of America:

https://imgur.com/QrxDm34

My first real job was on a Vermont* dairy farm for $25/week in 1963. According to inflationtool.com, that would be $214 in 2021. Six and a half days a week (half of Sunday off), my days were 10-12 hours long. Came back ripped.

Excellent experience--I wouldn't trade it for anything.

*"I remember when Vermont had more cows than Communists!"

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 02:18PM

Haha. High Five.

Love love love the video, and, the last comment. Dated, we are.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 04:28PM

Vermont has communists ? What's a communist ?

Posted by: normdeplume ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 10:27PM

Dave the teacher of business, if you had been born in the early Soviet Union, you would likely have been shot in the head by NKVD thugs.

Then you would have learned what Communism is.

The Reds took out millions in those years. Still do.

Teacher, there's lot's you've got to learn.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 23, 2022 12:29AM

That’s not communism, it’s authoritarian thuggery. Now the Russian government is no longer communist, but still plenty thuggish. The Vietnamese communists spent 27 years booting out the French, then the Americans, both of whom killed plenty of the Vietnamese people. They considered us the bad guys, with more than a little justification. Vietnam now makes a lot of our “stuff”. The Chinese commies are moderately thuggish, and make most of our stuff.

As for Vermont being full of communists, that’s funny.

Date: January 23, 2022 12:40AM

Thus, they don't DO it right.

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." (Einstein)

Date: January 23, 2022 12:45AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As for Vermont being full of communists, that’s
> funny.

In case you didn't quite get it, the old joke (very old!) was that "Vermont had more cows than people," and it was actually true. Vermont is now a vacation/retirement home and haven for affluent Bostonians and metro-New Yorkers. Perhaps the first Republican state to go Blue by migration.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 12:47PM

53 Ford, Summer of 64, about 25 cents.

Date: January 22, 2022 12:48PM

Oh yeah… Chicago, Illinois.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 02:50PM

22.9 at the gas station on the hill between Provo and Orem 1970. I remember the big and heavy gas "coins" we put in the pump after exchanging our cash.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 03:11PM

Why didn't you stop there at the Mr. Steak, if for nothing more than to say 'hi!'?

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 06:26PM

I remember it well but only in passing. With mortgage and two young children eating steak out was not too common.

Date: January 23, 2022 10:49AM

Yeah… that was Gas n’ Go.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 02:56PM

Pontiac gran safari less than 20 cents a gallon.

I remember when gas went over a dollar. None of the pumps could do anything over 99 cents.

The gas station would set the price for what was over a dollar the add a dollar per gallon at check out.

So if gas was $1.20 they'd set the pump to 20 cents. If you bought ten gallons the charge would be the $2.00 the pump showed and they'd add $10.00 for the ten gallons. Make the total $12.00

I was mad because I was earning a measly $1.35 an hour. Took almost two days pay to fill the tank.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 05:12PM

Y’all should find this interesting: inflation adjusted price of gasoline over the last century, in 2020 dollars.

The unadjusted price in the 1960s was in the 40 cent range. I paid 25 cents when there were gas wars in town. I also drove a 1956 Buick tank with a spectacularly inefficient automatic transmission that got 7 mpg in town.

There’s a graph about half way down this article that shows the adjusted and unadjusted prices, and a table that lists peak adjusted prices at various times over the last century, like during WW I.

The average adjusted price for the century has been $2.86. The chart ends at year 2019. Prices went even lower in 2020 because of the pandemic. They have now rebounded to about what they were pre-pandemic, in fact still a bit lower than pre-pandemic (2010 or so was the peak)

https://inflationdata.com/articles/inflation-adjusted-prices/inflation-adjusted-gasoline-prices/

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2022 05:19PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 08:28PM

1967 Volkswagen...34 cents/Imperial gallon, Calgary 1968.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 11:42PM

You are talking to someone who, after driving around with friends, took Mom's '59 Fairlane to a gas station and got $2 worth gas. I remember $.29 per gallon gas. And they pumped it for you, cleaned the windshield, and checked the oil and the air in the tires.

Remember the gas wars? Got down to less than that. Then came the 1970s.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 11:43PM

25 cents, Arizona 41 Plymouth. 1968

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2022 11:45PM by wondering.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: January 23, 2022 09:18PM

Gas was around 70 cents a gallon in 1978 when my parents let me use the family Chrysler Cordoba when I was 16. My sister and I would laugh at the television commercial for the car with Ricardo Motalban and the car's "fine corinthian leather".

Posted by: Healed ( )
Date: January 24, 2022 12:53AM

1960 Corvair Monza. It was a cool, first car. I remember paying 14 cents a gallon in 1965 during one of the periods “gas price wars”. Those events are certainly a thing of the past thanks to big oil and their multilevel international supplier contracts. Sadly an otherwise competitive and therefore healthy market dynamic is all but rendered moot - and the customer is handcuffed as a result.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: January 24, 2022 05:01AM

I remember when gas hit 50¢ a gallon, because my dad went berserk about it. It was the mid 1970s and I was about 11 years old.

The first half of my adult life gas mostly hovered around a dollar per gallon. In that window of time I had two VW Cabriolets, a Miata, a Jeep Wrangler and a Ford Ranger.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: January 24, 2022 10:35AM

19.9, Abilene, Texas in the early 60's when I filled my Allstate Scooter.
Gas wars were good then and I watched many drive more than 10 miles out of their way to save a penny a gallon.
We also bought gas at certain stations to get the Free Dishes and Glasses they gave out with a minimum purchase. Think it was 8 gallons. We and many neighbors got out "new dinner sets" and cooking pots this way.
Almost better than S&H Green Stamps.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.