Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 09:08AM

Hate is hate.

You can't dress it up with faith.

If you are going to hate, just hate.

Stop pretending that it's something else.

Don't claim that "sky daddy" is "making" you hate.

You hate because you want to, not because someome or something told you to.

It's all on you.

*YOU* are throwing out your own child.

*YOU* are denying rights to people you don't like.

*YOU* are spouting crazy conspiracy theories.

*YOU* are creating your own fears that you claim you have to defend yourself from.

There is no justification for hate.

Hate is hate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 09:18AM

Date: January 22, 2022 09:33AM

Thank You :)

Posted by: sillymo02 ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 09:53AM

"Haters really don't hate you. In fact, they hate themselves, because you're a reflection of what they wish to be." -Unknown.

"Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in this world, but has not solved one yet." -Maya Angelou.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 10:43AM

"Hating something or someone based on a harsh reality can be both practical and admirable. But keep in mind that survival is a better, cleaner goal than revenge."

--Kukla, of Kukla, Fran & Ollie

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 02:21PM

Hate is futile. However it is the means by which tyrants temporarily gain control. I have run into this many times throughout my life time and it always amazing how the hate mongers never realize how temporary their time on earth is.
It seems that hate gives temporary release to hidden agendas and validates brutality.
I pity the born again hater

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 02:36PM

In my experience, if you question a Mormons faith-based hate you will be accused of persecuting them because of their religion.

Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 08:45PM

Agreed, completely, with the OP. More broadly speaking, I'm sick and tired of "because my religion" to justify hate, prejudice, willful ignorance, misogyny, homophobia, unhealthy lifestyles, toxic relationships, harm to children, and the outright batscat crazy nonsense. Bad behavior is bad behavior, period. I don't care if you think Sky Daddy, or a hate-filled book allegedly authored by said, says it is OK to be a terrible human being, it is still *wrong*. Society isn't going to make progress until such idiocy is swept into the trashbin of history where it belongs.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 09:21PM

Successful religion appeals to the lowest common denominator. Its adherents don't hate because of doctrine, they hate because haters like to congregate. How else would they have any friends?

If you don't like freedom of association, that's okay. When China is the world's hegemon, they will fix that.

Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 09:31PM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> If you don't like freedom of association, that's
> okay. When China is the world's hegemon, they will
> fix that.

I said no such thing. Freedom of association is a fundamental right, guaranteed by our Constitution. And I support that, even if the results are less than desirable in many cases.

Hate, be it religiously based or not, is still straight up crap. That was the point. I would have thought that was pretty obvious, yet, here we are.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 11:00PM

Isn't being an American all about the right to be stupid? Covid was proof of that. How can we be stupid together? Religion. It's even protected.

So you want to fix stupid but want someone else to do it? My philosophy is that stupid fixes itself eventually. Sometimes it wins a Darwin award.

Date: January 23, 2022 03:44AM

Bradley said: "Isn't being an American all about the right to be stupid?"

I'm afraid that right is all too universal :-/

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: January 29, 2022 01:54PM

bradley Wrote:
> Successful religion appeals to the lowest common
> denominator. Its adherents don't hate because of
> doctrine, they hate because haters like to
> congregate.
===============================

Now, this ^^^
is an interesting idea.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 22, 2022 09:35PM

Unfortunately, it's easy to produce, makes/raises money.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: January 29, 2022 02:04PM

Susan I/S Wrote:
> Unfortunately, it's easy to produce
===============================
Because it exploits the machinery; the inclinations built into the machine.
The tendency enhanced survival, and so reproduction, of this characteristic in the species.

Tribalism is a feature, not a bug

Date: January 22, 2022 10:28PM

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: January 28, 2022 03:38PM

That's exactly what religion is: hate dressed up as love,
distrust dressed up as faith, and ego dressed up as humility.

Date: January 29, 2022 02:02AM

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 23, 2022 04:30AM

Get used to it. Hate has been around as long as people have. It ain’t going away anytime soon.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: January 23, 2022 10:01AM

Religious historian and former nun, Karen Armstrong joked, "What's the point of religion if you can't use it to condemn others?"

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: January 23, 2022 10:43AM

Don't claim that "sky daddy" is "making" you hate.
You hate because you want to, not because someome or something told you to.
It's all on you. It's all on you.
*YOU* are throwing out your own child.
*YOU* are denying rights to people you don't like.
*YOU* are spouting crazy conspiracy theories.
*YOU* are creating your own fears that you claim you have to defend yourself from.

COMMENT: Broadly considered, the most important message of this post is not about 'religious hate,' or even 'hate' in general. It is about the power of the individual to control not only their emotions of hate, but also their conduct in response to such emotion. The suggestion is that such responsibility cannot be passed off on something or someone else. 'YOU' are responsible! Powerful stuff.

Now, least I get in trouble, the first thing to ask is whether this is just a vent of frustration or meant to be taken literally. Do we *really* have such power or does religion (or something else) force our 'hate' thoughts and actions upon us, as passive bystanders of our genetics and environment. Read literally, I take it that 'anybody' meant precisely what he (or she) said. (He (or she) is welcome to back-pedal to a mere rhetorical intent if I am mistaken.)

So, then, what does this strong view of free will entail? Well, as already noted, the first thing to go is the standard idea that our thoughts and actions are the result of a human nature that is ultimately *determined* by nature and nurture (genetics and environment). One must now add to the mix, a transcendent power of free will. (Just as 'racism' is not inevitable with human beings, neither is hate!) Once free will enters the mix of human nature, materialist science takes a huge hit, because there is nothing in physics, biology, psychology, neuroscience, or any other science, that accommodates genuine free will within any proposed theory as related to any of these scientific disciplines. In fact, it is much worse. Except for certain interpretations of quantum mechanics (which are currently disfavored) genuine free will (of the sort insisted upon in this post) is anathema to all of materialist science.

I wish I could stop here but unfortunately, I can't. Free will (the notion that there are individual 'selves' (persons) associated with their physical bodies who by their nature can make free choices that govern their thoughts and conduct, independent of external constraints, suggests a metaphysics that involves a classic, religious-type, 'soul' that science emphatically rejects. So, what we have is the following:

The OP's insistence on moral responsibility as related to religious 'hate' entails a commitment to free will that itself plays into the hands of a traditional religious, anti-science, metaphysics. The problem, of course, is to reconcile genuine free will with science, which so far no one has been able to do.

In order to avoid knee-jerk, ill-informed, reactions to the above, consider the following quotes:

First, from arguably the leading philosopher on free will, Robert Kane:

"*Free will* . . . is *the power of agents to be the ultimate creators (or originators) and sustainers of their own ends or purposes.* . . . [T]o will freely, in this traditional sense, is to be the ultimate creator (prime mover, so to speak) of your own purposes. Such a notion of *ultimate* creation of purposes is obscure, to be sure -- many would say it is unintelligible -- but there is little doubt that it has fueled intuitions about free will from the beginning. Its meaning can be captured initially by an image: when we trace the causal or explanatory chains of action back to their sources in the purposes of free agents, these causal chains must come to an end or terminate in the willings (choices, decisions, or efforts) of the agents, which cause or bring about their purposes. If these willings were in turn caused by something else, so that the explanatory chains could be traced back further to heredity or environment, to God, or fate, then the ultimacy would not lie with the agents but with something else." (Robert Kane, The *Significance of Free Will*, p. 4)

From the Harvard psychologist, Daniel Wegner:

"The mechanisms underlying the experience of will are themselves a fundamental topic of scientific study. We should be able to examine and understand what creates the experience of will and what makes it go away. This means, though, that conscious will is an illusion. It is an illusion in the sense that *the experience of consciously willing an action is not a direct indication that the conscious thought has caused the action.* Conscious will, viewed this way, may be an extraordinary illusion indeed -- the equivalent of a magician's producing an elephant from the folds of his handkerchief." (Daniel Wegner, *The Illusion of Free Will*, p. 4)

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: January 26, 2022 07:01PM

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: January 29, 2022 10:01AM

Hatred may have some purpose, personally I'm not fond of spiders, especially big ones, I hate the webs they make, breathing them in cause asthma trigger, walking into them when I'm not expecting that, is startling and revolting, hate is complicated but serves a survival purpose.

Date: January 29, 2022 04:22PM

Date: January 29, 2022 04:58PM

>
> ...hate is complicated but
> serves a survival purpose.
>

Just like humor also serves the noble cause of survival?

I am really interested in whether you equate 'hate' with survival of the species, with survival of the individual, or both.

C'mon, flex your mental muscles for us!!  Most of us don't bite!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.