Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wings ( )
Date: January 24, 2022 07:37PM

Are any recent priesthood guys (or anyone else who feels in the mood to chat) available to answer a question?

--"Are priesthood "blessings" given to excommunicated folks who are dying?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 24, 2022 07:52PM

I would be happy to wager that no church rule exists regarding the bestowal of priesthood blessings, period.

...because I assume that notice is given to the precept that The Spirit® can move people in different directions, depending on the circumstances.  ...to every season there is an umbrella...

As a public service, please take note that I am still in possession of my full Melchezidek Priesthood Powers® and I would be glad to give a blessing, via Zoom, to anyone who wanted it.  And while I do not charge for such blessings, gratuities, if they come from the heart and wallet, are accepted.

Date: January 24, 2022 08:08PM

Oh my! Sorry...no. I'm not seeking one! But one was offered by a family member to my loved one who is dying. It's Awkward.

Date: January 24, 2022 10:28PM

Okay, so, look, I'll do it for free...  But that's as low as I can go!

/s (which is usually assumed...)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 24, 2022 11:14PM

I'm sorry about your loved one. I'm also sorry you have to deal with the weird church stuff on top of that.

Date: January 25, 2022 02:05PM

Thanks, Dagny. It is odd and hurtful...but everything hurts right now. I frequently posted here for years and it's nice to see old timer's still here when I need them!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 25, 2022 02:09PM

And always enjoyed your posts, so I came to read this thread. Nice to see you here, even if the circumstances are sad.

Date: January 25, 2022 03:06PM

Hi Softy...thanks for the welcome back. Love to see you are still here, and thanks for the kindness.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 24, 2022 09:32PM

So you haven't resigned? That's the best of both worlds, like getting Netflix for free.

Date: January 24, 2022 10:27PM

You're damn right, Bradley!   When the church's billions are divided up, Imma be in line!! (If I start to use the phrase, "Lima Bean in line!", this is what it refers to.  Thank you.)

Date: January 25, 2022 02:18PM

I was excommunicated decades ago,...when Blacks still didn't have the PH!! The loved one resigned, but the bishop told him the only way to do that was ex-communication, which happened. Trust me, this deathbed blessing was not sought out, and it has been declined. But it felt so strange to have our still TBM family member offer it up like it would be desired. I know their intent is good....but...

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: January 24, 2022 09:25PM

There is precedent. Fawn Brodie was exed in May 1946. When she was dying in 1980/81, she asked her brother for a priesthood blessing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawn_M._Brodie

Maybe awkward, but not prohibited if both parties are OK with it.

Date: January 25, 2022 02:47PM

That's interesting Dallin. Reading "No Man Knows My History" in the '70s marked a turning point in my life that there was no turning back from. I wouldn't think of ever desiring a Mormon ritual at death more than I would want the JDubs or the Moonies to offer some ritual at death. They are all in the same pot to me. I don't know if they still baptize apostates after death...or excommunicate still. I have been so apathetic about what's happening in "the church", but this ---offer--- renewed my interest.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 24, 2022 10:31PM

A priesthood blessing may be given to anyone as directed by the spirit.

Family members are more likely to offer one to other family members.

Certain leaders may whine and moan but it would be rare in my opinion.

Date: January 24, 2022 10:35PM

These events pretty much always allow for future bragging, else what's a F&TM for?

Date: January 25, 2022 02:51PM

Yes, it's a well-intentioned family. I was told to call my bishop...as if I have one. Back when I was ex'd, the missionaries were instructed not to call on me!!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 24, 2022 11:27PM

I saw how effective the "priesthood blessing' is when my late wife had lung cancer
The bishop came over to give her a blessing. It was basically "Sister Larson it is ok to die" which she promptly did.
So much for the power of the priesthood!
There is no power to act in God's name there!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 24, 2022 11:49PM

Condolences.
That's the only time I've seen one of those blessing work as well. When someone was 'released from this life'.
Don't believe I ever heard anyone brag about how well that worked in Sacrament Meeting either.

Date: January 25, 2022 02:55PM

Yes, nothing will stop this roaring train of death that comes, regardless of if someone prays... or not. Sadly.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 25, 2022 03:14PM

I think priesthood blessings can be given to anyone who will hold still for it. There have probably been pets that have been blessed.

Good intentions randomize behavior, as do stressful situations, and this sounds like a case where both are true. I’d cut whoever offered, and yourself, a little slack.

Peace

Date: January 25, 2022 03:29PM

You are correct, Brother. And I declined politely. But it's renting that old pissed-off space in my head...the one that hardly peeks out anymore. Sigh~

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 25, 2022 04:44PM

I'm sure it was meant in a well-meaning way, BUT they just don't get it. It's rude. They obviously KNOW you don't believe, but they are sure they are right. Their blessing is going to do what? Make them feel better? They are doing their missionary work?

We've had some trouble with our son. He had a mental breakdown 1-1/2 years ago and ended up in the hospital. Then he was out on the front lawn a month or so later yelling at me and my "husband" came out. The neighbor lady told me her husband would be pleased to give us all blessings. They are very nice people and I USUALLY like them, but every now and then. I told them No, didn't need it. I don't feel bad about telling them no. Even when I was active, I grew up in a family where we didn't like this type of thing even if we were believers. We kept to ourselves. We liked our lives private and didn't like members butting into our business. My dad was one who didn't mince words, so they got the message.

I think them offering was rude and at such a difficult time.

I'm so sorry.

Date: January 25, 2022 07:01PM

Thank you for understanding how it felt, cl2. I am sorry to hear about your son and hope things are better for him now. I would have died if this had been a neighbor! I learned much from you. Rude is it. That's what I was feeling and did not identify. I know in my heart it was meant with sincere concern and care, but in my head---and my head can be very, very petty, it was rude and hurtful when everything already hurts more than is sometimes bearable. Thanks for offering those "words of wisdom". Hugs

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.