Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: February 07, 2022 12:06PM

I'm glad to see this happening. I've never understood how the government has control over your personal decision of life or death. I don't know how I would feel in her circumstances, but, I would definitely want the freedom to choose.

From the article:

"But in Utah, it is against the law for a doctor to prescribe medications that would end a patient’s life. The Legislature gets to make that ultimate decision about life or death, suffering or relief."

"This week Allred will be on Capitol Hill when HB74 — which would allow doctors to prescribe life-ending drugs when a terminally ill patient makes a clear, written request to end their life — is expected to get a legislative hearing."

"The fight won’t be easy. Similar legislation has been sponsored repeatedly in the past. Former Rep. Rebecca Chavez-Houck sponsored the measure before and Rep. Jennifer Dailey-Provost, D-Salt Lake City has sponsored it three of the past four years. It hasn’t gone well, and for the last several years, it didn’t get a hearing.

This time it appears it will, and Dailey-Provost said opponents are once again mobilizing against the measure, but she hopes that her colleague’s sentiments have changed — as they have over time in other states.

Currently, 10 states allow medically assisted suicide. Three of them, including Colorado, were passed by voters through a ballot initiative."

https://www.sltrib.com/news/health/2022/02/07/facing-terminal-illness/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: February 07, 2022 12:34PM

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: February 07, 2022 12:59PM

True, however, it's good to see at least some people are still trying to get it passed. I doubt the Mormon theocracy would approve. Although, I have talked with several Mormons that agree it should be a legal choice, but they will revert to whatever the corporation tells them to do.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 07, 2022 01:55PM

They'll only encourage it when the would-be dying person has a large estate to leave to the church.

Posted by: dinosaurprincess ( )
Date: February 07, 2022 06:57PM

I highly recommend the book "Being Mortal" by Atul Gawande on this subject. After watching my grandmother's long slow decline and learning a lot about the horrific state of the nursing home industry, this book definitely resonated with me. Why do we insist our love ones cling to life when they clearly just want to be done? Their quality of life will just get worse and worse. We talk about animals getting a humane end but we don't fight for it for ourselves. This book was amazing about changing my perspective on what a better end of life scenario could look like.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: February 08, 2022 08:04PM

I thought a Utah version of death with dignity would be not having your corpse dressed in those hideous temple clothes.

Posted by: Willie ( )
Date: February 08, 2022 08:19PM

"The fight won’t be easy. Similar legislation has been sponsored repeatedly in the past. Former Rep. Rebecca Chavez-Houck sponsored the measure before and Rep. Jennifer Dailey-Provost, D-Salt Lake City has sponsored it three of the past four years. It hasn’t gone well, and for the last several years, it didn’t get a hearing.
-----------------------

You can see the real problem easily.

WOMEN introduced legislation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.