Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nli ( )
Date: March 01, 2022 04:03PM

Yes. I know a young Mormon man who was ordained to the priesthood. Later, he realized that his true gender was female, and he began the trans process. He is now "she," and is on hormones, dresses as a woman, and is just waiting to make the surgical change.

Remember, she is an ordained priesthood holder and has done nothing that scripturally would cause loss of the priesthood (e.g. D&C 121). She has not been disciplined or resigned from membership.

Of course, as a practical matter she will never be able actually to use it, but anyway...

What do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 01, 2022 04:09PM

No worries. Actual priesthood power dissipates if there is not sufficient testosterone and a penile applicator present for it to function.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 01, 2022 05:11PM

I know a 'Mormon' (name rejected by Q15) 'woman' (trans not recognized by Q15) who holds the 'priesthood'! (not recognized by, well, nearly everyone)

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 01, 2022 05:23PM

Priesthood is defined in the Mormon church as the authority to act in the name of god. By that definition, no matter what the Mormon church decides to do, she’ll still have as much priesthood as she ever did.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 01, 2022 05:24PM

When I’ve asked Mormon representatives why they discriminated against blacks by denying them entry into their temples for most of their history, when women have always been admitted, w/o the priesthood, they’ve answered that women do get the priesthood in the temple, in order to perform priesthood ordinances.
So women do get the priesthood in order to prevent sexual abuse lawsuits against men, but as soon as they leave the temple, it’s magically stripped away.
The mental gymnastics required to maintain faith in Joseph’s Myth would make Simone Biles envious!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 02, 2022 03:24AM

>So women do get the priesthood in order to prevent sexual abuse lawsuits against men

I have no idea what you are referring to. Care to elaborate?

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 02, 2022 11:24AM

Men can't exactly anoint naked women with oil in the temple, without facing sexual abuse allegations, right?
So they have to temporarily give women the priesthood to perform the "priesthood required for exaltation".

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 01, 2022 06:37PM

most married Mormon women "hold the priesthood" in one way or another

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 01, 2022 10:36PM

I thought that joke about married women getting to 'hold the priesthood' was reserved for those old high priests who do the sealings in the temple.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 04, 2022 11:40AM

Shinehah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought that joke about married women getting to
> 'hold the priesthood' was reserved for those old
> high priests who do the sealings in the temple.
nah! I use it whenever it seems appropriate.
It is a poke fun at them statement, nothing more

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2022 12:58PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: March 02, 2022 09:23AM

Read this in a woman's GA conference talk voice:

One day, an 8 year old daughter of our heavenly father went to her father and inquired of him what it meant for her brother to be ordained to the priesthood. Her father a disfellowshipped non-believing mormon told her that it meant he was turning 12 and was starting on the journey to become a mormon boy who can do things like pass the sacrament. She asked how will he 'get' this priesthood. Her wise and impulsive father said this is how he will get the priesthood. Another priesthood holder will place his hands on your brother's head.... He paused for a second and said he would show her. So, this loving father placed his hands on his daughter's head and called her by name, and stated his priesthood authority and conferred to her the Aaronic priesthood and ordained her to the office of a deacon. All this was done in the name of or saviour, even Jesus CHrist. The father sat there for a minute and chuckled at what he had just done under the direction of the spirits. He asked his daughter if that explains what will happen with her brother and the priesthood. She was satisfied and moved on from the moment. The father still has the joy of having given the priesthood to a daughter of his and a daughter of god. Though it is not something recorded in the records of the Morporation, it is is known in his heart who she is and the superpower she possesses.

I'm told this is a true story.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 06, 2022 02:29PM

-----"Morporation!" That is funny, Cheesus.

:D

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: March 02, 2022 10:10AM

I am sure many woman and girls have been ordained to the priesthood by people who are on their way out.

It is all made up, and I am sure the people who make the rules could invalidate the priesthood of this woman.

Not really related to your post but I predict we are 5 years away from "offices in the priesthood" being discontinued.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 07, 2022 12:11PM

This sister wore the pants in the family, and sometimes wore a suit to church. Her husband was one of those executives for Kodak Eastman and was always somewhere else for business. She was one of those good ERA supporters in the 1970s and was a good RS counselor. My Mom was friendly with her and as a young lad I was always confused about some of her stories. She openly discussed about blessing the sick, annointing people's heads with olive oil and setting apart sisters who were called in different callings.

I think part of her trouble began when she tried to get the wife of a bishopric member to come over to her home so she could set apart this newly called primary leader- twas a 1st or 2nd counselor if I recall correctly.

I think many sisters who went over to her home had no idea that this sister was going to get them into her annointing chair at her home. My Mom fell for this as a primary teacher and she just shrugged this off as a eccentric- no harm prayer.

The stake president got wind of this and crap hit the fan. They not only didn't like her giving blessings to other sisters, but they were appalled that she was acting without the penis priesthood. They ordered her to stop- which must have really scared her (NOT!!!) in her 3 piece suit.

They backed off because a thinking stake clerk reviewed her most generous donations- Remember the ward building donations. Her husbands Kodak executive pay paid around 40% of all new church building funds- as well as stake/ward activity donations. I think they disfellowshipped and then SLC probably encouraged the stake to get her paying tithing/donations again.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 07, 2022 01:56PM

nli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What do you think?

“Transgender individuals who do not pursue medical, surgical, or social transition to the opposite gender and are worthy may receive Church callings, temple recommends, and temple ordinances."

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/transgender-understanding-yourself/what-is-the-churchs-position-on-transitioning?lang=eng

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.