Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 09, 2022 12:25PM

Now that Russia has declared international sanctions are tantamount to a declaration of war, are your Latter-Day Saint family and friends excited about their apocalyptic prophecies FINALLY being fulfilled, or are they as concerned as the rest of us, not suffering from apocalyptic delusions about the prospect?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: March 09, 2022 02:07PM

I've had several mormons tell me it is the end of times, but they started telling me that when COVID hit and it continues on. You can almost tell that other mormons want to tell you that same thing, but keep from stating it, thinking I'm deluded as they have the truth.

Date: March 09, 2022 02:57PM

Mormons have always claimed these are the ‘Latter-days’ and take everything as a sign of the ‘immanent’ apocalypse. Of course they’ve been crying wolf for 192 yrs, but, now, here it is 70 yrs since we ended WW2 with a bang, and the world’s biggest arsenal of nuclear forces have been placed on ‘high alert’ for the first time. It’s like 1939 all over again, the Nazis just took over another European neighbor and has proceeded to carry out war crimes and genocide against innocent people, just fighting for their own survival, against all odds. Only now, the Nazis head the UN Security Council and they have veto power over any resolution made by the UN against their war crimes.
And they also have nukes and are threatening to use them against Europe and the US, if they don’t get their way.
Mormons should be really excited their doomsday prophecies are about to be fulfilled with a bang!

And I wish I was living in Australia or South America right about now, with the Doomsday Clock running down to seconds remaining.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/putin-orders-nuclear-deterrent-forces-high-alert-tensions-build-ukrain-rcna17853

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 09, 2022 04:50PM

Actually, the president of the UN security council now is United Arab Emirates. Russia's presidency ended february 28.

https://www.un.org/securitycouncil/content/presidency

The US, UK, France, and China also have veto power in the security council.

Date: March 09, 2022 06:01PM

Oh, well, then no need to worry huh?
I’m sure everything will work itself out just fine then.

Date: March 09, 2022 06:20PM

You have no more or less to worry about than if Russia were still the president of the Security Council. That is strictly a ceremonial role that provides no additional power to the holder, so your statement "Only now, the Nazis head the UN Security Council" is not only incorrect, but also unimportant regarding what will happen.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: March 10, 2022 11:57AM

back in the 1980s as my husband's friend had subscriptions and he'd share them with us. I read an article about in the early days of the church, women were leaving their husbands to be sealed to GAs as they were promised a place in the CK if they did so. And it said that they had told them back then that the end was hear. I didn't know that until I read that article. That was an EYE OPENER.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 10, 2022 12:19PM

In only eight more years, it will be two full centuries since the church was founded. You can’t say “Christ’s return is nigh” for 200 freaking years without losing all credibility. Not that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has much in the way of credibility to lose.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 09, 2022 02:50PM

It was the end times when World War 1 started.
It was the end times when the Great Depression hit.
It was the end times when World War 11 began
It was the end times in the 1950's communism scares.
It was the end times when hippies were protesting Vietnam
It was the end times during the Arab oil embargo.
It was the end times during the Gulf Wars.
It was the end times when Covid hit.

Why should the Ukraine War be different?

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 09, 2022 02:56PM

Are these people not familiar with the story of the boy who cried wolf?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 09, 2022 03:18PM

They think they know Joseph Smith pretty well.

Date: March 09, 2022 04:02PM

Shinehah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why should the Ukraine War be different?

Putin has put nuclear forces on high alert, for the first time in history, claims economic sanctions are "akin to a declaration of war" and has threatened to nuke the world.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-kyiv-business-europe-moscow-2e4e1cf784f22b6afbe5a2f936725550

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/putin-says-western-sanctions-are-akin-declaration-war-2022-03-05/

https://www.newsweek.com/putin-threatens-nuke-world-opinion-1685241

Date: March 09, 2022 06:02PM

>Putin has put nuclear forces on high alert, for the first time in history

Not true.

1995 - Norwegian Rocket Incident

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_rocket_incident

"This event resulted in a full alert being passed up through the military chain of command all the way to President Boris Yeltsin, who was notified and the "nuclear briefcase" (known in Russia as Cheget) used to authorize nuclear launch was automatically activated. Yeltsin activated his "nuclear keys" for the first time. No warning was issued to the Russian populace of any incident; it was reported in the news a week afterward.[4]

As a result of the alert, Russian submarine commanders were ordered to go into a state of combat readiness and prepare for nuclear retaliation.

The Norwegian rocket incident was the first and thus far only known incident where any nuclear-weapons state had its nuclear briefcase activated and prepared for launching an attack."

1983 - Able Archer 83

"The Soviet Union, believing its only chance of surviving a NATO strike was to preempt it, readied its nuclear arsenal. The CIA reported activity in the Baltic Military District and in Czechoslovakia, and it determined that nuclear-capable aircraft in Poland and East Germany were placed "on high alert status with readying of nuclear strike forces".[11][50] A 1989 US memorandum said that Soviet commanders ordered nuclear warheads to be placed on 4th Air Army bombers and for Group of Soviet Forces in Germany fighter-bombers to placed on a 30-minute alert."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 09, 2022 06:09PM

Thank you for this.

For a moment I was so frightened that I wanted to steal El Gato's pearls so I had something to clutch.

Date: March 09, 2022 07:49PM

Oh well then, nothing to worry about then.
This is NOTHING like the Nazis in 1939 invading Poland and giving half of it to the USSR.
Back to your regular programming.

Date: March 09, 2022 08:18PM

Who said there was nothing to worry about?

Your post is just another example of your overdramatic hyperbole coupled with your once again not knowing what you are talking about.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 09, 2022 06:26PM

Why should the Ukraine War be different?

The current situation in Ukraine has the potential to be anything from the end of Putin's reign to the end of civilization. My point is that whatever the eventual outcome, it has nothing to do with Mormon end time 'prophecy'.
Mormons predicting the end times are here since the 1800's.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 10, 2022 06:04AM

Most likely we will go into another Cold War with the Ukraine being a neutral country. I’m waiting to see what China does with Taiwan. It’s a hot mess. There’s no good leadership in the west anymore. All the leaders are fascist nutballs and in this kind of situation it’s very dangerous.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: March 10, 2022 12:33PM

. . . with the caveat that we're not dealing with the Politburo, where differences in thought/problem solving and moderated debate were marginally tolerated.

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore --

Might be useful to understand precisely what creature ideologue+psychopath yields

Date: March 11, 2022 04:45AM

I'm picturing Two Face flipping a coin. "Heads I blow up the world."

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 09, 2022 02:59PM

There are a lot of thrill junkies out there who adore a catastrophe, and they’re particularly chipper about it when they can blame the Bible.

It’s the, “See! We were right!” thing.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: March 09, 2022 08:21PM

It is most definitely the "end times". I am 82 and am aware of it as a fact.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: March 09, 2022 08:32PM

As Chris Hitchens once said, "They yearn for it. They cannot wait!"

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: March 10, 2022 11:25AM

. . . your options to interpret/explain events are pretty limited.

- And for these that's part of the attraction, lol

Date: March 10, 2022 01:38PM

President Zelenskyy thinks Putin is bluffing.
He might be right, and if we call his bluff, by imposing a no-fly zone over Ukraine, we’ll find out.
https://thehill.com/policy/international/597615-zelensky-calls-putin-nuclear-threat-a-bluff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2022 01:39PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 10, 2022 07:17PM

Oh Catty One

There is zero chance the US/NATO will impose a no-fly zone in Ukraine. A NATO pilot shooting down a Russian pilot is not going to happen. That would not be “the equivalent of an act of war”. That would be an act of war, full stop.

Nuclear bluff or not, doesn’t matter. We are not going there.

Date: March 10, 2022 08:23PM

It’d be the ultimate ’Fnck around and find out’ event.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 10, 2022 08:27PM

Which nobody in his right mind would want to do.

Date: March 11, 2022 04:46AM

Who is in their right mind?

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: March 11, 2022 08:53AM

I don't know if "Latter-day saints" get excited about tragic world events, but end-of-the-worlders of any religious persuasion glory in such things.

I grew up listening to such bloody drivel again and again and again on a daily basis.

People came to our house at least three times a week to hear my father tell it again and again and again. My father gloried in seeing the distressed expressions on their faces. It was his only source of happiness.

I grew up knowing fear fear and more fear. I remember praying earnestly to God, could he PLEASE delay the end of the world until I finished Junior High School. Don't ask me why, but at the time it was a big deal to me.

I think the mainstream LDS church is trying to distance themselves from doomsday prophecy, but doomsday prophecy was what got the church going to begin with. Without that sense of urgency that we must prepare for the end, there would be no LDS Church.

I have to say, my father presented a very simple remedy to prevent getting zapped by end-times mayhem. All you had to do was buy stock in the Dream Mine, and the stock was very inexpensive. Stock owners would not get zapped. Simple.

I am going to start a new thread about the End of the World and me. I have been putting off doing it, but I feel like I must do it. Now is the time and this is the place.

Lois

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: March 11, 2022 08:55AM

Yep. Not just Mormons. Did y'all see Pat Robertson come out of retirement to express his glee? He even said that Putin isn't in control...God's making him do it!

They can't help it. It's how they're taught to assuage their fears.

Date: March 11, 2022 10:58AM

I was astonished when Jane Fonda gleefully extolled that "Covid is God's gift to the Left (chuckle)."

Date: March 11, 2022 11:09AM

Kathleen Wrote:
> I was astonished when Jane Fonda gleefully
> extolled that "Covid is God's gift to the Left
> (chuckle)."
Because 99% of those killed were unvaccinated science deniers?

Date: March 11, 2022 11:13AM

Should we be gleeful ?

But if we should be gleeful, as you are often, Shcrodie, why just a gift to the left ? A little too much schadenfreude possibly ?

Date: March 11, 2022 11:50AM

It’s as if you’re saying the Holocaust was God’s gift to the gentiles. And ending it with a chuckle.

Posted by: El Gato ( )
Date: March 11, 2022 12:04PM

Kathleen Wrote:
> It’s as if you’re saying the Holocaust was
> God’s gift to the gentiles. And ending it with
> a chuckle.

#1. I don’t believe in God, so that’s not what I’d ever say.
#2. I do believe in man’s evil towards our fellow men, women and children and the Holocaust is the ultimate evidence of it.
#3. I’d never joke about it, like you just did.
#4. I don’t believe evil exists in nature and viruses are not evil, nor are pandemics. They are a form of natural selection and actually make us stronger for having endured them.

Date: March 11, 2022 12:16PM

I wasn’t joking. You’ve demonstrated your self-satisfied chortle over Covid deaths in other threads. You’re pretty transparent, El Gato.

Date: March 11, 2022 12:31PM

Kathleen Wrote:
> I wasn’t joking. You’ve demonstrated your
> self-satisfied chortle over Covid deaths in
> other threads. You’re pretty transparent, El
> Gato.

I just think we ought to rename it “Darwin’s Revenge” since it killed mostly anti-Vaxer science deniers, which is a perfect example of natural selection and survival of the fittest, at work making us stronger. It’s not something I laugh at. It’s something I think shows how ingenious nature is.
Nature always wins in the end, by striking a balance.

Date: March 11, 2022 01:07PM

I think you'd be happy to name it "El Gato's revenge." Like I say, you're pretty transparent.

Posted by: EL Gato ( )
Date: March 11, 2022 01:14PM

You are pretty opaque, meaning, aka, dense.

Albert Einstein noted, “Mankind invented the atomic bomb, but no mouse would ever construct a mousetrap.”

Homo sapiens sapiens, the only species to esteem itself so wise we named ourselves, not just wise, but “wise wise men”, have created the equivalent of a mousetrap for ourselves, then gave them to all the other mice to assure ourselves of mutual annihilation if any mouse ever used a mouse trap again.
Do we really deserve the name,”wise wise men” when every indication is that we are not even yet ‘wise men’ and may never have a chance to become wise, because of our own stupidity?

Date: March 11, 2022 01:27PM

Here we go, Einstein again.

Date: March 11, 2022 01:45PM

Kathleen Wrote:
> Here we go, Einstein again.

Sorry, I know he is probably way over your dense head.

Date: March 11, 2022 01:54PM

He's clearly way over a lot of our heads.

Date: March 11, 2022 11:56AM

I’m not gleeful, but grateful, that my family and friends all survived and for those who caught it are, naturally, stronger for having survived it. Viruses are essential for life.

“Eight percent of our DNA consists of remnants of ancient viruses, and another 40 percent is made up of repetitive strings of genetic letters that is also thought to have a viral origin.”

https://www.cshl.edu/the-non-human-living-inside-of-you/#:~:text=Eight%20percent%20of%20our%20DNA,to%20have%20a%20viral%20origin.

There are 10x’s as many viruses in you and on you than there are human cells in you.

Date: March 11, 2022 07:40PM

Schrodie, Despite our angry sparring at each other and our vicious name calling, ("transparent," and "opaque,") I, too am grateful that your family and friends have survived covid. You mentioned that your son didn't get vaxxed. I hope with all my heart that he stays well, and if he (or any of you) get sick, I hope for the finest medical care available for you.

Sincerely--Kathleen

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.