Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 12, 2022 11:18AM

I have no idea where that temple is located in relation to any major buildings or areas that would likely be bombed or shelled.

If it is hit or destroyed, would LDS Inc rebuild it?

What about the temple building plan for Russia? I think it would look pretty bad to go forward with that idea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 12, 2022 01:18PM

The PR the church would get in restoring the blessings of the temple to the faithful in Ukraine would be huge.

Plus the "donation" of time, workers and materials wiuld keep the costs down.

Come rebuild the temple, then be among the first to do a session. With a general authority even!

Then temple tourism. Come and worship alongside of our Ukrainian brothers and sisters. Stay in the church owned hotel complete with church sanctioned security guards.

Then a Russian temple would be seen as a symbol of peace.

So with typical mormon spin they'd pull it off.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: March 12, 2022 02:36PM

It's on the other side of a ring highway in the oblast and away from the Dnieper. I'd say that as a prominent building not too far from railroad tracks it's still likely to be a target.

As for whether they would want to rebuild it, I'd argue that they have money to spend, so sure why not.

Tyson

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: March 14, 2022 10:30AM

to the Ukrainian people. After how long they waited to get into Russia some years ago (my friend's son was one of the first missionaries sent to Russia), they wouldn't give up the opportunity to build a temple in Russia. If the government will let them, I think they'd do it.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: March 14, 2022 10:30AM

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: March 14, 2022 11:34AM

https://kutv.com/news/local/lds-church-jesus-christ-latter-day-saints-says-all-american-volunteers-have-left-russia-missionaries-ukraine

Important quote from the article:

------------------------------------------

“The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not have any foreign full-time missionaries in Russia. I can confirm that as of mid-February, approximately 50 young volunteers have taken assignments outside of Russia, given the recent recommendation of many foreign governments advising against travel to Russia,” said church spokesman Sam Penrod in a statement to KUTV 2News Sunday evening.

Missionaries in Russia have been referred to as “volunteers” since 2016 after a law was passed in that country limiting religious proselytizing.

------------------------------------------

The Church had already removed missionaries from Ukraine back in January:

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/lds-missionaries-moved-out-of-ukraine-as-tensions-mount-with-russia-in-eastern-europe

Tyson

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 14, 2022 12:21PM

I had this horrible shower thought that Ukraine gets taken over by Russia and hard-core TBM's get verklempt and soil their magic underwear in excitement as they say: "President Nelson is a true prophet--there's a temple in Russia!"

Yeah, right, God works in mysterious ways...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.