Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: navshelt7 ( )
Date: March 18, 2022 12:53AM

My first husband was a returned missionary
Going to Utah State. I was fine with college already. We were Married in my Church,Presbyterian. Later I readjusted he had no intention of finishing college and didn't PDAs his class he needed. I didn't know this before. So of course we had to leave Loan so he could find a job..golf assistant pro. This also was not in my radar. He had me fly home while he did everything. I has no say in anything. I eventually decided enough and drive to my home and filled for a divorce which was granted. Little did either of us know that the divorce want Valid. My state has A one person miss leave there for six months. Neither of us did. both married other people. He married An older girl,3 years old which I had been told was a not chosen girl. That she was already post the age she should have been married. Whatever that meant. My second husband passed ten years ago. My lawyer after asking questions when I did a new will told me or first marriage was still legal and he was now married to both of us. His wife is very your since they had a Temple wedding etc. Does anyone have any idea what happens to him now. He is not legally married to his second wife.help please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: March 18, 2022 01:06AM

I think this may be above our pay grade, especially since it happened so long ago. You should let your attorney handle this. Lawyer will likely have to notify ex. Then you can have them sort it all out.

Posted by: navshelt7 ( )
Date: March 18, 2022 01:17AM

He knows. We've discussed it. Does this affect his Temple marriage? My lawyer says it does. Because he was already married. Guess nothing is easy is it? Would A local bishop be able to help?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 18, 2022 11:41AM

Local bishops would not be able to help.

Mormon bishops are not full time clergy. They are unpaid volunteers that hold down regular jobs. They generally serve for about five years at a time.

Also a bishop where you live would have no authority or jurisdiction where your first husband lived.

Your only good bet is a good lawyer.

Best of luck to you.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 10:32AM

After all the legal implications, "Does this affect his Temple marriage?" I'm trying not to laugh.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 18, 2022 01:36AM

Birth certificates, death certificates, marriage and baptismal records, children's birth certificates. Even bank and credit card statements, especially if the accounts were jointly held.

The more you can document, the better your lawyer can look after you. It will also reduce legal billing, as he won't have to pay his staff to chase these things down.

Organize them, too.

Try and record everything that legally happened over your life: when you met your husbands, when you got engaged, married, children's births divorces, deaths, etc. A detailed chronology INCLUDING CITIES AND STATES, even if you lack documentation for parts of it, can help your lawyer get a complete picture, and chase down records to complete your case.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 18, 2022 04:56AM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Birth certificates, death certificates, marriage
> and baptismal records, children's birth
> certificates. Even bank and credit card
> statements, especially if the accounts were
> jointly held.
>
> The more you can document, the better your lawyer
> can look after you. It will also reduce legal
> billing, as he won't have to pay his staff to
> chase these things down.
>
> Organize them, too.
>
> Try and record everything that legally happened
> over your life: when you met your husbands, when
> you got engaged, married, children's births
> divorces, deaths, etc. A detailed chronology
> INCLUDING CITIES AND STATES, even if you lack
> documentation for parts of it, can help your
> lawyer get a complete picture, and chase down
> records to complete your case.

I very strongly agree with caffiend.

Remember that every state has its own laws re: marriage and divorce and marital property rights, and that there is a TREMENDOUS difference between the marriage laws of "community property" states, compared to the "common law" states. Which state each person is a legal resident of, at the critical points in each person's marital/divorce chronology, means just about everything important when it comes to state marriage, state divorce, and property laws.

The "community property" states of the United States are: Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington (state), and Wisconsin. Alaska has a marital legal structure I don't understand, but as I [think] I understand, it can be perceived as an optional community property state.

If "your" state(s) are NOT community property states, then they are common law states.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/community-property-states

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 18, 2022 05:20AM

If your second marriage is not valid because you were never legally divorced, then neither is your husband's second marriage valid.

However, I'm confused. A judge would have had to grant your divorce. How did the question of your state residency come up so many years later, given that a judge signed off on your divorce? Something doesn't seem right to me. In your shoes, I might get an opinion from a second lawyer.

Posted by: Caffiend nli ( )
Date: March 18, 2022 10:30AM

The OP should include in her history when she cohabitated with her husbands. Irrespective of whether they were married, and otherwise, that may not appear to be legal. That's why I included bank statements
Did you ever sign a will? A mortgage? Joint-own a house, car,, insurance policy, for a car or life." That, too. Gifts and greeting cards could be strong indicators of intent and expectation.

You don't have to collect EVERYTHING, but the more you have the better your lawyer will understand and represent you.

Posted by: Caffiend nli ( )
Date: March 18, 2022 10:39AM

Maybe: you & husband #1 need to get properly divorced (doesn't that sound strange!) So he can properly marry his wife #2. Your being widowed by your #2 makes some matters moot.

Major attention needs to be on your financial needs & protection from encumbrances, and safeguarding your estate for your heirs.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: March 18, 2022 12:34PM

The legal details of this matter depend on the jurisdictions involved and what the laws were at the time the relevant events occurred.

This is not a matter for an online forum but requires competent legal counsel, possibly in all relevant jurisdictions, and taking advice from random people online could lead you to make decisions that jeopardize your status in the future.

As to whether any of this affects your husband's temple marriage is an ecclesiastical matter, and all opinions here are moot given that the LDS Church will do whatever it wants in this situation.

Tyson

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 08:59AM

They probably don't care about a man being married to two women at the same time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.