Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 21, 2022 01:20PM

It's the new "Let them eat cake". I'm typing on my phone so no links. Anyone to fill in?

I am both appalled and amused. Appalled at the audacity to victim blame by hinting at the story of Jacob and Esau. We sold our birthright, so let's eat our lentils. It's so far beyond "let them eat cake" that it's laughable.

It takes a lot to piss me off, but this did it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 21, 2022 01:26PM

?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 21, 2022 01:29PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ?

My response as well.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: March 21, 2022 01:55PM

Referring to this?

https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1505292742993321993?s=20&t=LXZBAwOWJXS9bH2axXFRUw

Inflation stings most if you earn less than $300K. Here's how to deal:

* Take the bus
* Don’t buy in bulk
* Try lentils instead of meat
* Nobody said this would be fun

The tweet and article were thoroughly pilloried by my on-line circles. But frankly, I’ll take lentils over ‘beyond meat’ or ‘maggot-meat’ every day of the week.

Date: March 21, 2022 02:04PM

I TRY to eat more lentils instead of meat. I'll use beyond meat where possible. It's an ethical issue that is hard to face for me.

That said, I have to ask why people who rag about gas prices seem fine with people going bankrupt from basic health care. There are so many issues resulting from allowing the rich to do whatever makes them richer, I can't even start.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 21, 2022 04:27PM

I think a lot of that sentiment is centered around how things affect "me". So gas prices? That affects me! I'll rag on endlessly about it. Health care costs and the threat of bankruptcy, that doesn't affect me. It affects others who aren't taking care of their health like I am, so no, I don't care about that. It might help someone else, but it won't adversely affect me.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 12:35PM

The high cost of health care and potential medical bankruptcy only affects others who don’t take care of their health like you do?

Well aren’t you special. So anyone in trouble because of medical expense, it’s their own fault? Sometimes it is, and sometimes our system just sucks.

Canada, to take one example, spends half of what the US spends on health care per capita, has universal health care coverage, and has a 3+ year higher life expectancy in spite of higher rates of smoking.

So the entire nation is better off health wise, and at considerably less expense, even though some people make bad decisions.

Just sayin’

Date: March 22, 2022 12:41PM

Thank you. Someone had to say it.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 01:39PM

I wasn't describing my point of view. I was just outlining the mindset in this country that doesn't think people are deserving of universal payer healthcare like every other first world country has and others too. It's practically a crime. But they do go on about high gas prices. It's rather selfish and stupid too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2022 01:41PM by Devoted Exmo.

Date: March 22, 2022 01:40PM

Thanks for the clarification.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: March 21, 2022 04:29PM

Lentils are worth eating in their own right. They can be very tasty.

Some form of roti canai is probably my favorite version.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 23, 2022 07:23AM

Which is a major advantage, and fibre and no fat... Good in salads, too.

The French do wonderful things with lentils ;-)

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: March 21, 2022 03:07PM

But the Lentil Festival isn't until August. And nobody outside Pullman, Washington really cares.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 01:09AM

lentils are an important source of nutrition and a significant part of Washington state's agricultural economy.

Processors of these commodities have been successful in getting favorable tax rates from our legislature bc of the relatively low value / low margin of this & other similar crops/ products.

Even tho the Washington legislature has been mostly Democratic (few remember the last R governor here...), those from the eastern part of the state trade their support for 'western' issues to get favorable tax rates on their commodities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2022 12:09PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 21, 2022 09:12PM

I love lentil soup.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 01:24AM

You and me both! I got a recipe for lentil soup back in the early 70s from my late ex-MIL. I have loved it for years. My "second" family refused to touch it, but I still make it by the crock-pot and freeze portions for myself. It is delicious and makes a great mini-meal when DH wants to eat something I don't like. It's a great comfort food.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 02:01AM

I have never had it. If you would be so kind as to kick down your recipe Catnip I would appreciate it :)

Date: March 22, 2022 12:02PM

Me too!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 24, 2022 06:19PM

I had to dig up a letter from my late MIL (dated 9/16/76 - kinda yellow around the edges - my son was born just 10 days before that.) Anyway, she included the lentil recipe in the letter and I had the sense to underline the recipe part in red, or I never would have found it again later.

Half-package lentils
2-3 carrots, sliced
1-2 pieces of celery if you like it (I don't) sliced
about a quart of water
Toss in a couple of sliced hot dogs or some leftover crumbled bacon for flavor
salt to taste
about 1/2 cup tiny pasta - I use ziti

Cook everything but the ziti together, until the lentils are tender (about an hour). Cook the ziti until tender, mix it into the other stuff just before serving.

Season it any way you like. I don't even use salt (because of kidney ailments) but it was in MIL's original recipe so I added it.

I have yet to taste anything made with lentils that I didn't like. Enjoy!!

Date: March 24, 2022 06:23PM

Thank you for taking the time to dig for that, catnip!
I'm going to try it soon.

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 07:23PM

Lentil soup is a comfort food for me. I was in the Madrid Spain mission and ate a lot of lentil and garbanzo soups. After a long day of trying to get past porteros, it was nice to return to the apartment and smell the dinner prepared by the duena with copious amounts of the garlic.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 02:29AM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It takes a lot to piss me off, but this did it.

It's an exact parallel. Other, that is, than the fact that there's no Marie Antoinette saying it.

Posted by: ICUfiend ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 07:35AM

Date: March 22, 2022 01:22PM

We demonstrated two years ago how to cut oil prices in half - the whole world should stop driving. Worked like a charm. Of course, there is a down side to that…

If something is too expensive, either use less (2020 pandemic), find a cheaper alternative (lentils) or lower the cost of production (computers over the last 50 years)

It’s not rocket science.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 10:04PM

I took that for mere rhetoric, but they were serious.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 11:52PM

My neighbors grow lentils and I eat 'em!...especially with ham in yummy soup.

Date: March 23, 2022 12:39AM

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 23, 2022 05:29AM

Use less of all that toilet paper we seized.

Well, with all those lentils . . . maybe not.

Date: March 23, 2022 10:43AM

I wonder how many families are still working through the stash of TP they hoarded two years ago. I'm sure there are some. I saw some pickup truck loads driving off, and Costco, for one, refused returns on purchases like that.

Date: March 23, 2022 10:49AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 24, 2022 11:46PM

I buy it by the bale at Costco.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: March 23, 2022 10:50AM

was to not treat your pet if they have cancer and allow them to die.

Luckily I don't have to drive much and I have a little car that doesn't use much gas. I'm no longer a single mother and my "husband" pays the bills since I haven't divorced him "yet." I paid for the house for 20 years. He gets to take his turn.

So I'm fine. He is, too. We don't have that many expenses, but we are old, although we still have one child who lives here and needs us to pay some of his bills. We are trying to get him disability. Haven't heard back after the last round of papers to fill out. It took 5 months for the first batch. Also, I'm lucky my car has low mileage so I don't need a new one for a while.

Date: March 23, 2022 04:10PM

"Russia is the leading exporter of wheat, while Ukraine is the fourth-largest exporter. Together, these countries account for nearly one-third of total wheat exports in the world.

Much of Russia's and Ukraine's wheat exports are sent to the Middle East and Africa[.] ...

In addition to wheat, Russia and Ukraine are large exporters of fertilizer. Russia, and its ally Belarus, account for 42 percent of all potash exports, which is used for producing fertilizer."

The site I lifted this from points out that the Middle East and India will be especially hard hit. But like petroleum, wheat, soybeans, and corn are world products distributed to global markets, so the global scarcity will affect us, too. We already know what the reduction of Russian oil on the world market has accomplished

Biofuels, notably ethanol, "seemed like a good idea at the time." We now know that the production of ethanol requires 1.5 times the energy it actually yields--i.e. ethanol is an energy negative. Also, huge amounts of fertilizer, gas & diesel, and water resources are expended in the process. This might be a good time to eliminate ethanol and other biofuels from our economic equation, and devote that acreage to food production.

Source: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2022/03/more_food_inflation_and_its_because_of_ukraine.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2022 04:14PM by caffiend.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 23, 2022 04:59PM

Maybe they lent well?

Date: March 26, 2022 01:42AM

It pointed out that inflation is hardest on people who make under $300,000 a year, ad offered helpful suggestions for those of us under the 98th percentile of income.

https://i0.wp.com/politicallyincorrecthumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/everyone-earning-under-300k-bloomberg-buy-bulk-drowning.jpg?resize=515%2C381&ssl=1

Reminds me of the good old days of "two weeks to flatten the curve," and we were "all in this together."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.