Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 09:52AM

Just would like some information from the folks on this board. Including parents (step-parents) how many of your family members are in, and how many are out (ex or inactive for a long time?

I'll go first:

Siblings: 3 in 5 out
Parents: 1 dead. 2 out (1 step parent).
Children: 2 out (both non mormons from birth.)
Spouse: OUT

HH =)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 10:14AM

All kids are out. Spouse is out.

My parents are as indoctrinated as ever...

4 of 7 siblings are out.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 10:25AM

All are not only in, but they are all "all in". Parents (one dead), siblings, nieces and nephews, great grandchildren by the score, and the great greats as well. Garments as far as the eye can see.

Luckily I have a cousin and aunt who found their way out. They were always the most fun to be around of everybody anyway by a long shot. Think there is a connection there?

Which came first? The boring personality or the church?

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 10:49AM

Parents-both dead. They were both active and involved until the end of their lives.
Spouse-officially still a member, though she hasn’t believed, nor attended, for years.
Siblings-one dead (at the time of his death he was a stake high councilor and temple worker), three in, one out, and one in and out.
I have no children, but among my 18 nieces and nephews, I believe that only one is active.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2022 10:51AM by CrispingPin.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 11:33AM

My parents are both deceased. My dad was a so-so mormon. My mother was quite active, but disillusioned at the time of her death, as was my dad. My dad was more about being what his parents were, although his parents weren't all that active either. My sister said that side of the family are heretics. I can think of one male cousin who served a mission other than my disabled brother (who never should have gone).

In my immediate family, as of recently, 5 out of 6 siblings are out. My mentally and physically disabled brother still goes. It is good for him socially to go. People treat him pretty good.

Of the grandchildren, my daughter is the only TBM. Most haven't even been blessed, let alone baptized. Not a one of the great grandchildren are mormon. Of course, my spouse is out. My boyfriend is a never mormon. My son is out.

My parents were very supportive of my departure from the church.

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 11:40AM

Siblings and me are inactive, parents very tbm. The 1950s was probably the pinnacle of activity, went down hill from there

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 11:43AM

Myself - resigned from the church over 17 years ago.

Parents - both deceased. They had been inactive for 35+ years. (We put packets of temple clothing in their caskets to "keep up appearances", but we didn't dress them in the clothing, as that was against their wishes, and it would have angered/confused the non-member extended family.)

Siblings - 2 of 3 have also been inactive for 35+ years. The third and their spouse baptized their child, but they don't attend.

I also have step-cousins on my mother's side and first cousins once removed on my father's side who converted, but we have no contact with any of them, so I don't know if any are active.

Tyson

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 11:51AM

Spouse and kids out.
Both parents died devoutly in.
2 Siblings: One is true blue in. The other was more of a Jack most of her life but plays along now to appease her daughter who cares for her.

Posted by: jazbo ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 01:19PM

Parents: deceased, nevermo
Sibling: nevermo
Spouse: 4th generation, BIC, returned mishy, OUT
Children:
#1 son: 4 out of 5 - tbm; 1 disenchanted but not out
#2 son: 3 would love to be out, 2 tbm (his wife forces all to attend)

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 02:05PM

Mom n Pop: -- deceased nevermos

Spouse: --out; but, feels no need to resign. Never believed it anyway.

children: --3 out, 1 TBM, 1 still in bc tithing is cheaper than alimony

Sibs: --bro nevermo, sister out but became crazed, fanatic JW.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 03:04PM

No children
Former wife: atheist nevermo
Both parents: deceased TBMs
All 5 sibs: TBMs or TBM-ish
35 nephews/nieces: about 1/3 exmo
Lost count of grand-nephews/grand-nieces: many exmos/nevermos

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: March 25, 2022 10:58AM

For those who have responded, Thank YOU! Just trying to get a sample for some data analysis (albeit a skewed sample).

HH =)

Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: March 25, 2022 05:59PM

Me: resigned in 2004, two years after my release from a stake high council.
Wife: inactive since moving outside of our old stake boundary in 2008.

Daughter 1 and SIL: don’t believe at all since before they met in 2009 and got married in 2010. They’ve happily moved out of Utah to the PNW in 2019. I am so glad for them.

Daughter 2: totally inactive since the early 2000s.

Daughter 3: resigned in 2005, rejoined years later, and is currently inactive

Grandchildren: 6 of 7 are totally out. Sadly, one is an estranged step grandson who lives with his evil Morg mom and I have no idea about his status.

Extended family

Dad passed away in 2008. He was a convert but he knew a lot about church historical problems and doctrinal issues from a his BIL and SIL, who left the church in the early 80s, and a co-worker, who had studied Egyptology. I think he maintained his church activity for Mom’s sake. They even went on a senior mission in 1999.

Mom believes totally but has mellowed over the past 13 years since losing Dad.

Of my four siblings (my parents adopted a grandson after their senior mission) two are active and two are inactive. My older sister’s family is mostly all in.

My wife was a convert at 16 years of age, after her older brother joined while in the Air Force.

FIL, MIL, one BIL and one SIL are never Mo. Everyone has passed away on my wife’s side except her sister in PA and my Mormon BIL’s first wife in WA and his second wife in Utah. My wife’s Pennsylvania nieces and nephew are never Mo and her WA/HI/UT nieces and nephews are mostly inactive, to the best of my knowledge.

It’s a complicated family that I married into.

The only siblings and in-laws that kept their first marriages intact are me, my oldest BIL, a never Mo, and my oldest TBM sibling.

When I consider how well the Mormon religion did in terms of temple marriages that lasted, me, two of my sibs, and one BIL had a 50% success rate. To be honest, I look at my grandchildren and I envy the way most of them have lived together with their significant others before getting married or splitting up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2022 06:08PM by cuzx.

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: March 25, 2022 10:26PM

5 siblings - one in

4 kids - two out, one on the way out and one in

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 26, 2022 04:37PM

-All siblings out. My 4 birth siblings were never members.
-Parents both dead
-2 nevermo kids
-widowed..my wife was Catholic

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.