Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jacko Mo Mo ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 03:43PM

"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners". - George Carlin (hard core atheist)

The LDS Church is embracing more and more of pop culture, "the ways of the world", which will cause it to morph into nothingness, and make today's attendance issues seem trivial in comparison.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 03:51PM

Your two sentences are mutually exclusive. If the LDS church is descending into "pop culture" and insubstantial "nothingness," it is not becoming "fascist."

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 03:53PM

Very true, just this last week I was listening to mormon stories the recent episode about the church in decline and John had some insider information that suggested that in utah the majority leaving are because they're more conservative than the brethren, they don't believe in masks, in the jab, or paying people to not work, where the GA's seem to be ok with giving up freedoms etc, the left seems to be more vocal especially on this site, but still are a minority of folks questioning.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 10:33PM

According to the inside source, the members in question aren’t merely “more conservative than the brethren,” they are Q-anon followers and fans of other crazy conspiracy theories. Apparently, regular mormonism isn’t wacky enough for them.

Posted by: Jacko Mo Mo ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 03:59PM

I assumed the reader would be able to correlate the politically correct pressure being levied on the LDS Church by outside forces (i.e., pop culture fascists) and the Church's reaction of desiring to fit in, become part of the dominant crowd, be one of the cool kids.

Date: March 22, 2022 04:06PM

I think you need to read a bit more about the word "fascist" actually means.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 06:34PM

Yeah, it is trying to be less racist and sexist, a definite uphill battle for them.

Odd that people would see that as a negative.

The Church was never particularly anti-science. Wasn't James Talmage a geologist? The leaders still are not anti-science, but the rank and file seems to be getting infected. I see that as pretty odd too, but then Sputnik went up when I was in grade school, so I was in the middle of the middle of the STEM revolution, because the Russians were Beating Us. Horrors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2022 12:47AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: March 22, 2022 06:54PM

Maca and Jack Mo Mo think the LDS church is too liberal.

'Magine that.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 08:17PM

When trying to make a point it's helpful to provide examples.

How is the LDS church becoming more "watered down?" Are temple garments no longer required for temple goers? Is church attendance optional? Is tithing now optional? Is premarital sex now okay? Is same-sex marriage now okay? Has early morning seminary been canceled?

LDS Inc has made some changes but it hasn't really been "watered down" where it counts.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 08:32PM

heartbroken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When trying to make a point it's helpful to
> provide examples.
>
> How is the LDS church becoming more "watered
> down?" Are temple garments no longer required for
> temple goers? Is church attendance optional? Is
> tithing now optional? Is premarital sex now okay?
> Is same-sex marriage now okay? Has early morning
> seminary been canceled?
>
> LDS Inc has made some changes but it hasn't really
> been "watered down" where it counts.

Au contrary!

they used to 'insist' that honesty was a requirement for a TR, now it's 'do you strive to be honest?'

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 08:53PM

"they used to 'insist' that honesty was a requirement for a TR, now it's 'do you strive to be honest?"

And that means the Mormon church has been watered down? I disagree. If I were still TBM and asked if I strived to be honest instead of if I was honest, it wouldn't have made much of a difference to me. If ALL questions determining "worthiness" had changed, maybe it would have.

I stopped going to the temple at least 10 years before I quit the Mormon church but still wore garments during those 10 years. If the garments were no longer required when I was TBM I would have considered that "watered down."

The Mormon church is still a stickler for ridiculous rules and obedience. That hasn't changed or been "watered down."

Date: March 22, 2022 10:52PM

heartbroken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When trying to make a point it's helpful to
> provide examples.
>
> How is the LDS church becoming more "watered
> down?" Are temple garments no longer required for
> temple goers? Is church attendance optional? Is
> tithing now optional? Is premarital sex now okay?
> Is same-sex marriage now okay? Has early morning
> seminary been canceled?
>
> LDS Inc has made some changes but it hasn't really
> been "watered down" where it counts.

If you exclude that list of doctrinal and cultural elements of Mormonism, what is left to water down?

Pretty clear, isn't it?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.