Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 25, 2022 08:14PM

Here’s SC’s thread about defining a woman:

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2422506

Here is an account from the Smithsonian magazine about Gladys Bentley, a “gay African-American blues singer” in the 20s and 30s. Challenges she faced in her life, especially in post-WWII US but before as well, arose from the conservative norms of gender and sexuality of her time.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-great-blues-singer-gladys-bentley-broke-all-the-rules?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Here are a few excerpts but the full article summarizing her life story is well worth reading:

“In 1952, Bentley wrote her life story in an article for Ebony magazine, entitled “I Am A Woman Again.” In the article, she described the life of a glamorous performer who silently struggled with herself. “For many years, I lived in a personal hell,” she wrote. “Like a great number of lost souls, I inhabited that half-shadow no man’s land which exists between the boundaries of the two sexes.”

“After a lifetime of loneliness, she wrote that she had undergone medical treatment that awakened her “womanliness.” She claimed to have married twice, though Wilson says that one of the men denied ever having been married to Bentley. The article was accompanied by photos of Bentley wearing a matronly white housedress and performing the role of homemaker—preparing meals, making the bed for her husband, wearing a dress and flowers in her hair.

“Scholars who have studied Bentley’s life said that the story Bentley told about being “cured” in the Ebony article was likely a response to the McCarthy Era and its hostile claims that homosexuality and communism were threats to the country.

“Gladys Bentley should be remembered for being a gender outlaw,” says Wilson. “She was just defiant in who she was, and for gender and sexuality studies today, she shows the performance of gender.”

-----

Here’s Gladys performing on the Groucho Marx show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-LTJNasTMc

This is an amazing account of her life and talents (Adult):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LeDbXK7H20

Was Gladys Bentley a woman? I guess it depends on which definition a person wants to use. Gladys herself spoke of living “in the boundaries between the sexes”. I think her expressions of relief at being “a woman again”, following medical treatment, were a reflection of the times in which she lived. (Have we come that far from that – not so much it would seem). Partly too it could have been the imperative to earn a living in the face of discrimination.

The definition of most importance is whatever the individual person chooses or describes themselves to be, based on their own experience and knowledge about themselves. Nobody is appointed, divinely or otherwise, to decide what the definition should be or that it is written in stone to last through the ages. Scientific knowledge has changed our understanding of biology. I can only hope that increasing knowledge of biology can inform religious teachings much more than has occurred to date. Some writings in stone are best left to history.

One of the narrators in the second video above concludes: “She is someone we can all look up to. She invited us to be our whole selves and that’s what we all want to be.”

Is that too much to ask for in this life? I don’t think so.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 26, 2022 04:35PM

Yes, I noticed that.

Wonder why. Hmmmmm.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 26, 2022 05:34PM

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: March 26, 2022 04:18PM

Thanks for the article, Nightingale. I don't know about "masculine" or "feminine," but I will offer my personal opinion that Gladys Bently was awesome!

Date: March 26, 2022 04:39PM

ookami, I totally agree. Incredible.

I noticed that Groucho made an unkind comment presumably referring to her weight, for a laugh I guess, and it got a laugh. She just kept on going. Amazing style on the piano.

So many people have much greater challenges than others in this life. Seemingly nothing fair about it at all.

I have been whining all week about having the sniffles. I'm afraid I wouldn't cope well with actual challenges such as the tanks of a foreign army rolling past my window. I'm resolving to toughen up. Just in case. Because who knows...

It's always nice to see you around, ookami. I enjoy reading your posts.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.