Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nuggett ( )
Date: April 16, 2022 05:09PM

So "Under the Banner of Heaven" will show the temple ceremony, and "Big Love" did a couple years ago...Isn't the church a corporation? Can't they trademark their clothes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLGRqALg8Q4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDRqWtwbiSM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 16, 2022 05:44PM

A really fascinating question (which I would very much like to read the legal reasoning regarding--especially since any legal actions would likely, at least to some extent, involve California law).

Does anyone here know how to legally parse out this situation?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 16, 2022 05:51PM

They might patent and/or Trademark garments which Could be the basis for a ‘Stop and Desist’ request which might be followed with a court order and/or lawsuit claiming damages such as infringement of the brand…..

My first reaction is that this would be considered an economic offense - infraction (tort), but IDK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2022 05:53PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: April 16, 2022 06:31PM

https://secureyourtrademark.com/can-you-trademark/trademark-clothing-design/

I am not a lawyer, but that sounds in line with what I remember. Brands and logos, yes; clothing design, no.

(The link notes that a design patent might be possible, but that would require it to do something besides being a piece of clothing. I'm not sure heavenly fire insurance counts.)

Tyson

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: April 20, 2022 05:24PM

I think that’s why, say, after the Oscars companies can make rip offs of designer’s gowns and not get sued. I could be wrong, but it seems like the same thing.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 16, 2022 06:56PM

A company can't stop people from taking photos or videos of its products, nor can it block the broadcasting of such imagery.

I would love it if the church tried to litigate such a matter, for that would bring all sorts of attention to Mormon underwear and the doctrine/rules that apply to it. Few things would bring Mormonism greater ridicule.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: April 17, 2022 01:01AM

^^^ this ^^^

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: April 16, 2022 11:47PM

I noticed in Angels in America, and The Book of Mormon--The Musical, they were wearing the Older styles of g's, perhaps their patent (if any) is public domain now. An adult site, which used modern g's has changed it's name from mormon boys to masonic ditto.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 17, 2022 12:14AM

Patents are irrelevant.

Turn on the TV and look at the news or any entertainment show, and virtually very frame will include photos of patented items. There is no law that prevents the use of those images.

If you google Mormon underwear, you'll similarly see countless photos of modern garments on countless websites. That would not happen if the images were illegal.

The bottom line is that if the producers of films decide to use older garments, they are doing so for an artistic purpose: like highlighting the absurdity of the clothing and hence of Mormonism.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 17, 2022 07:21AM

.....probably as clothing......

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 17, 2022 01:16PM

we know that ChurchCo isn't afraid to Blaze New Trails in their wishes to maintain & expand their dominions, that includes their legal powers & authority

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 18, 2022 11:21AM

If someone uses "Garments" in a movie or anything commercial, it would seem to me that all religious outfits would fall under the same principle.

That could easily carry over to any organization or group that has some sort of dress code. Think of the long shoreman, miners, loggers, lab technicians, police officers, fire fighters, etc.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 05:19PM

Well if the church uses garments that feature Nelson's giant smirk on the back of them, then the church will become hellbent on suing the production.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 06:01PM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 20, 2022 01:02PM

The Bakers and Confectionary Union should sue for misappropriation of professional kitchen apparel.

And I'm not sure if you can copyight underwear from the 1800's. :-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.