Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 10:08AM

I have not been to the temple.

It is often said, "If one is true to the covenants made in the temple,.....blah blah blah".

Can anyone tell me specifically what are the covenants one makes?

Is one the old "avenge the prophet"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 10:23AM

It has been a few years since I last attended a temple endowment session, so my info is somewhat dated.

The worst thing is that you have to promise to obey all covenants (under threat of punishment from God) before you even know what the covenants are.

I think they did away with avenging Joe’s and Hyrum’s death around the 1930s (?).

I’m pretty sure that women don’t have to covenant to obey their husbands anymore.

You still have to promise to do a lot of stuff, and promise to not talk bad about church leaders, not to laugh loud, and not to have sex with someone who isn’t your spouse. I wonder if they are going to redo the wording to say that if you’re legally married you still can’t have sex if your spouse is the same gender.

If you think you can stomach it, I assume you can find the whole ceremony on YouTube.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 11:16AM

Thanks CrispingPin. I'll pass. I have a strong gag reflex.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 09:07PM

I haven't been through the temple either and I suck at obeying.

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 12:04PM

There's 5 endowment covenants, the covenant to obey God and husband, the law of sacrifice. To sacrifice like Abraham, there's the law of tithing, 10% of all to the church, and the law of consecration, to give all to the establishment of the mormon kingdom and zion. There's the law of chastity as well.

Mormonism has a lot of necessary requirements the catholic church had 7 sacredments mormondom has 9 last I counted, most protestants only recognize two, christening and the lords supper,

I like the simplified religions.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 07:35PM

Lutherans (ELCA) have the same 7 sacraments as Roman Catholics. Other than communion most are once and done.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 05:23PM

They're going to add a few more.

To get off social media when Nelson gives the command.

To stop lighting the Y in rainbow colors (for Holland).

To give 20% to Ensign Peaks.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 05:27PM

If I tell you, I’ll have to eviscerate myself.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 06:00PM

You don't covenant to obey the law of tithing in the temple. You don't agree to give 10%-you agree to give everything.

"You and each of you covenant and promise before God, angels, and these witnesses at this altar, that you do accept the Law of Consecration as contained in the Doctrine and Covenants, in that you do consecrate yourselves, your time, talents, and everything with which the Lord has blessed you, or with which he may bless you, to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for the building up of the Kingdom of God on the earth and for the establishment of Zion."

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 06:24PM

One of the many things I didn't understand about the temple experience was how the masonic symbols (square, compass, ruler) stitched into the garments were supposed to remind me of my temple covenants. Those weird stitchings didn't really remind me of anything. I never looked at them and thought about the covenants I'd made. I don't recall that the meaning of the symbols and how they related to the covenants was explained very clearly.

Whenever I walk past the local Masonic lodge and see those same symbols on the outside of the building I'm reminded of the absurdity of the temple.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 20, 2022 01:35PM

There are some mistakes in the endowment. Elohim is Hebrew for gods. It's not the name of a singular god.

The masonic compass is used to make circles or curves. It's not a navigational tool to point the way.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 07:10PM

Promises made under duress are not enforceable!
Nor are promises made where part of the promise is concealed
If I promise to do what ever you say then I am agreeing to become your slave

Date: April 20, 2022 01:38PM

I never signed a contract.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 19, 2022 07:55PM

miss out on anything. I made it a few times with coercion from my husband. My dad said it was bizarre. I can't remember the word I use for it. For all the hype, it was ???????????????

By the way, my super special name given to me from God is LUCY.

Date: April 20, 2022 01:27PM

I never agreed to any covenants. I never stated my name. I was so confused I used the New Name.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.