Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: May 05, 2022 09:28PM

I'm amazed how much of the temple is shown. For those who have been, how accurate is it?

It's been suggested that as much as it shows, it's authentic. But doesn't show the full ordinances and commitments.

Wonder if Dallin Oak's Speedo is bunched up?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 05, 2022 10:05PM

Not accurate by my memory if you're wondering if they showed the penalties.

Was accurate in the instructions given to never reveal the signs and tokens.

But......god changed his mind about both and decided to sternly warn us to not talk about the temple and the decided no need to practice killing yourself.

Bottom line....the parts shown accurately were later changed.

Posted by: ttb3090 ( )
Date: May 05, 2022 10:21PM

The stern old lady glaring at the women for whispering was pretty damn accurate.

I really liked the actress after she did the "throat slitting" part, she winced and had this "wtf" look on her face, which I am pretty sure I did several times the 1 and only time I went to the temple. Very accurate!

They had the men and women sit on opposite sides, which is obviously how it goes.

Aside from that, it still gave me the creeps just thinking about it, even though I know they don't do the penalties anymore. I went in 2003, so after they had already taken those things out (I think?). It gave me awful flashbacks to the anointing part though- I still shudder when I think about that. The hats and outfits never fail to make me laugh on the few shows I've seen them in. How ridiculous.

It blows my mind that anyone stays a member after visiting the temple, let alone keep going there. It pretty much traumatized me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2022 10:22PM by ttb3090.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 06, 2022 03:40AM

We had to put the thumbnail under the ear and draw it to the other ear—-no wave of the hand in front of the neck.

It would seem that our officiator wanted everyone to fully understand how to cut a throat.

Then we committed harakiri.

Date: May 06, 2022 04:08AM

It made me wonder if the temple wasn’t more about blood atonement than weddings and sealings.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 06, 2022 04:14AM

It was about loyalty and the enforcement of loyalty by means of damnation both in this world and in the hereafter. The blood oaths were part of the former.

I hated the temple. It was chilling.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 07, 2022 08:18PM

I was privileged to do sealings to another man once. I had some stalkers when I was younger and older. Had one about 10 years ago. He seemed like a stalker type to me the way he was looking at me. My husband had talked me into trying the temple one last time after 1990 so I could see the changes and they pulled me aside for sealings as someone hadn't shown up. Doing sealings to a stranger was really shocking. I sat in the foyer for about 30 minutes waiting for the husband and I finally got to meditate in the temple and I never went back. That was about my 4th time.

The temple is so disturbing. When I saw it in Big Love, I was like, "Wow! That temple prayer circle is like a cult."

I've read the book of Under the Banner, so I should watch the show.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 08, 2022 12:05AM

While stuck at the MTC for 2 months, we were required to attend once a week on the prep day. I think my pday was on Thursday. Anyhow, the group of elders in my dorm wanted to get it done and over with. So they decided to get up at 5am to do the 5:30 or 5:45 endowment session.

At that early hour, nobody was there (at the temple). Just a few elderly men/women a few others who obviously had nothing better to do (this was late Sep- it was very cold).

This had been the pattern since my dorm group had been hitting the temple super early. Why? So weekly laundry could be done by 9 and then they could play basketball 'til 4pm. So one morning there was a fairly attractive woman in her 30s. Some of my roommates admitted that they had stiffies watching her in the hideous temple garb. One wanted to reach around and squeeze her tush. They were walking hormones!

So they started climbing out of their seats, thinking they could sweet-talk the temple worker to allow them to serve as a witness couple. They didn't even know if the older woman was going to serve as a witness couple kneeling at the altar, but she was asked. She sat kneeling alone for quite sometime.

The temple workers did NOT want horny 19 year olds kneeling at the altar. They ended up choosing some old fossil who had to be assisted after kneeling.

I nearly got kicked out of the session because the old man kept farting everytime he attempted to get comfortable. I couldn't stifle my laughter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2022 12:11AM by messygoop.

Date: May 08, 2022 12:48PM

I told one of my leader friends that you should never do that to a young woman. I knew my husband was cheating and here he was getting me to go to the temple as he thought it would help me when I saw the new and improved endowment. Dealing with my husband being gay and cheating and then doing those sealings, it was rather TRIGGERING.

I watched 2-1/2 episodes last night. Lately I haven't watched much TV other than news and I started watching. I quit about 11 p.m. as I thought I'd save the end of episode 3 for morning so I didn't dream about it. It was immediately a trigger for my mormon trauma, but I had to keep watching.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: May 06, 2022 10:35AM

When we went through the endowment sessions prior to 1990, we also, in addition to the mimicked throat slicing, we pretended to slice open our abdomens, from the left hip and then across to the right hip.

IMO, it was all about blood atonement and keeping women in their place.

After reading Blood of the Prophets, it seemed to me that the oaths and penalties were handed down from what John D. Lee and his henchmen did after they killed the Fanchers and Bakers.

They agreed that they could never tell anyone, not their wives, their neighbors, or especially among themselves. They stood in a prayer circle, with elbows on the next person's shoulders and made those promises, and motions.

I can't believe we did this for 7 years and didn't really question what we were doing.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: May 06, 2022 12:39PM

Be sure to remember that the Lafferty idiocy and killings happened in the 80s. So the more important question for me is if what was portrayed in that episode was accurate for the 80s.

Maybe the changes the church made in 1990 were a result of what the Laffertys did? The whole bunch of them were crazy bastards.......

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 06, 2022 03:25PM

Around 1985 the church refined what the "missions" of the church needed to be. They figured that if they could get stake presidents and bishops aboard to promote temple attendance then the tithing would roll in again and again.

Originally, you only went to the temple to get married and sealed. They didn't really expect members to seek it UNTIL they were certain that they were indeed living "exalted" lifestyles. Many members pushed back of obtaining one- gee they had only been conditioned to believe that one needed to be damn near perfect to enter the temple or fear God's wrath of being impure.

The church promoted certain church-go-getters out of the lowly Elders Q to the office of Seventy (to do ward missionary work and temple work). High Priests were also expected to attend once a month (if they could safely drive there). My Dad was in the EQ quorum and the counselors did not have TR, neither did my Dad.

I was actually the busiest temple attendee in my family- as a 14 year old teacher going for dead baptismal dunkings. The temple that I was assigned became super busy. Why? -because the church started pushing temple attendance. Existing temple workers became overwhelmed on Friday-Saturday. I don't think they had much input dealing with 6-7 temple groups of 20 rowdy kids. That's probably why they were so grouchy and why I loathed going there :)

I think word got back to SLC that constantly promising to slit your throat and die was getting old. Also, if one was doing work for the dead (isn't that the whole idea of proxy?) what good is it to promise to kill yourself if the proxy is already dead?

The church didn't want to lose the momentum of new temple attendees- hey all you members need to return to the temple and learn more (Hahaha!!!). So they took out the parts that made members feel the most uncomfortable with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2022 03:29PM by messygoop.

Date: May 06, 2022 03:51PM

I’m surprised they didn’t have us slitting our throats over not paying our tithing.

I will have to say that slitting my throat was the only part I didn’t sleep through. . . There’s that.

Date: May 07, 2022 08:22PM

remember from back then. I was sealed/married in 1984. My dad never had a temple recommend until my sister got married and she was 17 months older than I am. He went a little bit after that. My mom went more than him, but I don't remember them going when I was young.

Posted by: dot matrix printer ( )
Date: May 11, 2022 05:03PM

I did a lot of temple sessions <sigh> and wasted my time.

I suspect this is going to be unpopular, but I think they got the temple scene wrong. There was way too much prattle from the women. Yes, they had a single biddy trying to sh-- the talk, but they needed a lot more temple matrons to keep order. That was always my experience.

I think the scene would have been better in a semi deserted locker room while putting on their temple garb. That would have been the only place where you could question the temple.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.