Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 18, 2022 11:37AM

First, so much music was strange but not unpleasant. It reminds me of my youth when the leaders didn't want ward people to talk. I suspect that The Nelson's didn't want to spoil their show with the words of others.

Second, Wendy looked about the same, Dieter looked old. He reminded me of my great grandfather Hugh Brown. When he got sidelined and became just another trained monkey he lost his umph and wind in his sail.

Wendy was in full control. Nelson seemed like he was just saying what she wrote for him.

And there was nothing new or interesting. Nelson's only contribution was as others pointed out the labels thing. But I speak Mormonism. He was taking about the label Mormon. And it is a theme for him. He probably hates the label gay and any other thing that takes away or challenges his Mormon narrative. He picked out the Mormon label just like he did the gay label. He hates how society defines things without his eternal perspective.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 18, 2022 11:46AM

He wants to tell everyone what labels they are to emphasize, and which ones are not important. Very disappointing.

Out of all the things an individual should be a able to do, it is to identify with anything as they decide for themselves.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 18, 2022 12:10PM

I think Nelson says how great the church is, especially for the youth. But what does the church actually do for them?

Not much.

Am I wrong?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 18, 2022 12:13PM

>> But what does the church actually do for them? <<

It keeps them indoctrinated, nothing more.

The youth "do" for the church, the church doesn't "do" for the youth. They are only there to serve the master and support the business.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 19, 2022 12:15PM

I think you're right about Wendy writing the talk for him. He neither mentioned the name of his first wife-Dantzel nor how many happy-loving years they spent together. I found that to be odd.

Also, he never recalls any of his childhood memories or what role the church shaped his upbringing- and I have been reading his talks because I can't stand his oratory skills.

So this is why he fails to connect. He wasn't active during his youth. No primary, scouting activities, no ph garbage duties.

This is why he fails to resonate with young people: The church meant nothing to him as a young man, but it means everything now that he is the global faith leader (still laughing on his self appointed title).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2022 12:16PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 19, 2022 12:25PM

His attempt to "talk to the kids" was super forced. Wendy's talk seemed more naturally contrived.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 19, 2022 12:29PM

Nelson is who he is. I had an uncle who was a physicist. He graduated top of his class at MIT and he was a real egghead. He was like Mr. Spock. He couldn’t small talk or relate to regular people well. Not because he was a jerk but it was the way he was hard wired.

Russell M Nelson is a bit of an egghead. That makes him a bit weird and regular people aren’t going to relate to him very well and he’s going to be unrealistic regarding the ways of the world.

In the military everyone has a nickname. You don’t choose it but the other guys do and there’s no way you can change it. The more you hate it the more they are going to use it. Russ doesn’t realize you can’t change a nickname.

He probably had a big plan for the church but COVID and world events got in the way. He doesn’t know what to do and he has no answers. All he can say is trust in the Lord because that’s what he’s doing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.