Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 11:38AM

I GOTZ TA KNOW!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 11:46AM

I'm watching English soccer -- the Premier League. It's the last game of the season, and as a Tottenham fan, I want them to win and Arsenal to go down. That scenario would allow a top-four finish for Tottenham, and for them to compete internationally in the Champions League next year which is a very big deal.

The cool thing about the English Premier League is that the bottom three teams each season are relegated -- that is, sent down to the secondary league. The top three teams from the secondary league are promoted. That often leads to an exciting finish to the season!

It's *much* more entertaining than church.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 07:07PM

Thanks heavens for recordings as I was able to watch Liverpool this afternoon. I grew up in London which supports 7 teams in the Premier League's 4O. Grew up watching Charlton Athletic which last played in the Premier Division more than twelve years ago, before falling on hard times and residing two divisions down from the Premier. For that reason I never grew up following any other London team.

My favorite is Liverpool, where I have many ancestors on my mother's side. Got to go to Anfield to see them play ( a surprise birthday gift from my wife) during their championship season. Apart from the 1966 World Cup semi final game I saw at Wembley it was the best sporting atmosphere I have experienced anywhere. The red will be out for the Champion's League Final next week against Real Madrid

The promotion/relegation system you describe is one of the main reasons fans protested in uproar last year over a proposed super league pushed heavily by American owners and others that would be like the NFL, NBA MLS... a closed league, no consequence for failure, and virtually discounting the whole season so almost everyone plays for the title. Thankfully the fans were heard and the idea was squashed.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 07:14PM

My brother likes Liverpool as well. Such a narrow loss this year for the league title.

I got my wish with Tottenham!

Some of my favorite recent moments were seeing the immense relief, and subsequent celebration of Everton fans last week when they realized they would remain in the PL next season. Also the party atmosphere at Newcastle as they celebrated their team and the end of the season. Both celebrations made me realize how deeply woven are the relationships between the English clubs and their fans.

I hope to see a game at Tottenham stadium one day, and others as well.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 07:27PM

Unlike American sports that begin with wealthy people paying millions to buy a franchise, most English professional clubs had more humble origins and sprang from the working people. Arsenal is a classic example. It started with workers from an arsenal (Woolwich Arsenal) that started a Saturday team. It grew from that as did many others. Difficult to do today but theoretically a local works team could form nowadays and succeed in working their way into the top divisions.

Date: May 22, 2022 07:35PM

Keep your eye on Newcastle. The only team owned by a country as they were bought last year by Saudi Arabia. Many teams cannot compete with that. Liverpool is American owned as is Manchester United whose fans are mostly not happy with their owners. Chelsea is in process of being sold to American owners.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 07:44PM

The American leagues started out much like the UK ones, particularly football and baseball. The money came decades later.

Date: May 22, 2022 08:32PM

True. Idols of my youth were players like Stanley Matthews (knighted while still playing top flight till bread 50) and Tom Finney. Every bit as talented as today's stars and they did it with the old leather ball. Wages were fixed at 20 pounds per week and Finney in particular worked as a plumber five days a week. Matthews, the man even Pele called The Meastro.

Date: May 22, 2022 08:34PM

It's a beautiful game.

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 07:48PM

I don’t watch football but it amuses me to see how English football crowds behave up north. There are some compilations on YouTube that had me in stitches. I would go just for that.

Date: May 22, 2022 08:24PM

Nothing quite like the chants. Some humorous, some quite vulgar especially during derby games.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 11:51AM

I don't want to know what you're doing to keep it holey.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 12:28PM

My aunt showed up yesterday to take me to the graves. She has been e-mailing me at the wrong e-mail address and so I didn't know what day she was coming. I was mowing the lawn. So I guess I'll finish mowing the lawn today and do whatever work I need to get done.

I'll just say my aunt took me to "our" farm. We sold it 11 years ago after our father died as we had to for money to take care of my two disabled brothers. We sold it to a guy who knew my dad really well. We are allowed to go to the farm any time, but I haven't since they bought it out of fear I couldn't handle it. It was WONDERFUL. It borders the Great Salt Lake in West Corinne. Believe it or not, the street sign on the lane that goes down to our farm has the 00 as the street. And I guess it has been there for years. I didn't know that. And I spent a lot of time on that farm. They've made it beautiful out there and it was so wonderful to go to the place my dad and grandfather LOVED. It was so peaceful. I hated farming and yet now I long for the country and not the business of even the highway here in Hyrum, Utah. The main street in Logan. All the people. So I better get busy and do those things that make the sabbath unholy.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 12:47PM

I'm reading "I Was Better Last Night", Harvey Fierstein's Memoir. It's really great. I really only know him as the guy with the raspy voice who's written a few stage shows I've seen.

Im learning a lot.

Date: May 22, 2022 12:49PM

When you're done, give us a review.

I recall his voice and how weird it was coming out of that body...

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 01:03PM

Going on a bike ride to speak to nature.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 01:57PM

Making cold-brew coffee, cleaning my glass shop and making a scale model of my spiral staircase. I’ll need the coffee.

Edited to spell “cold” correctly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2022 04:02PM by Kathleen.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 02:21PM

I'm asking myself what a holy young adult would do.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 02:26PM

Hiking at Grand Canyon.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 02:29PM

Went to the gym this morning (24 hr gym) for the 2nd time since my surgery 5 weeks ago. It felt good to exercise.

When I got home, DW and I went to a brunch and I had eggs benedict and we both had mimosas.

In a few minutes a friend is coming by to help me with DW's garden to in carry some soil.

Going to cut the grass.

Practice the bass clarinet for some parts I have in an upcoming musical 'Matilda'.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 02:32PM

Having a family birthday bbq at our house; after all, “man is that he/she might have joy, and there’s nothing more fun than enjoying the outdoors. :)

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 02:55PM

Instead of the fabled 'covenant path' I hiked a nature path. Interesting scenery and wildlife. Absolutely better than Mormon meetings.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 02:58PM

I drove past an LDS chapel. That’s as close as I get to attending these days.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 03:14PM

Unfortunately, IMO, people don't go to church nearly as much as they used to (including me).

I did go for my granddaughters recent mission farewell (wearing my best slacks, as I no longer own any dresses).

She was assigned to a spot where she will have to learn their language (which is easy for her). However, (as it would seem), most people learn how to speak English--as it is good for their financial welfair during visits from Americans.

Remember the world war II movie, where on an island, a song is sung that the native women dance to "For the Yankee Dollarr"?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 03:39PM

According to the scriptures the sabbath is on the 7th day. I don’t worship the Roman sun God so for me is just the first day of a new week.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 06:07PM

I went and listened to 2 talks at a very boring sacrament meeting. (soon I won't be obligated to go any more)
then I made one of my famous Italian sausage pizzas and had Rocky Mountain Spring Water and pizza. ( to the uninitiated RMSW is more commonly known as Coors)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2022 06:07PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 06:13PM

I walked though some woods and marshland near Oxford. Bit random.

Then I wasted time trying to figure out the name of a 90s french rap song that came on during an episode of ER; I’m disappointingly none the wiser. (It’s the one where Chloe is giving birth, in case anyone can help me out!:-))

Now I’m working my way through my Stargate Atlantis dvd collection again and drinking the second half of a bottle of Garnacha Rose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2022 06:14PM by Third of Five.

Date: May 22, 2022 06:41PM

Hardly ever hear the term Sabbath in my circle. OT Law.

Date: May 22, 2022 06:43PM

EOD is a native speaker of Victorian.

Date: May 22, 2022 06:52PM

I am Marvin Bunter to Gladys Lot’s Harriet Vane, who FINALLY caved in to Lord Peter’s constant marriage proposals, at the end of “Gaudy Night”.

I think it only fitting that she and Lord Peter met in the much earlier book, “Strong Poison”.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 07:04PM

Took the younger grandkids to the zoo.

Date: May 22, 2022 07:12PM

Did they see EOD? He's always at the zoo and I think he looks great in the new cage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2022 07:50PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 23, 2022 12:21AM

The sabbath is saturday.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.