Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 24, 2022 08:50PM

Link:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/children-killed-shooting-at-texas-elementary-school-report_n_628d386de4b0edd2d01c027a

For the record, I am not shocked.

In the mid-sixties, the head of the U of Utah Institute of Religion (a family friend) bragged about his arsenal to protect his family from dark-skinned threats.

To repeat: I am not shocked.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: May 24, 2022 09:05PM

I recently started watching Judge Kim YouTube videos of Tarrant County Texas. His court daily YouTubes detention hearings of kids ages 14-18 kids younger than 14 are not on YouTube broadcast. Last week one of the judges said they had 30 kids locked up in there for capital murder. I am sure other cities and towns see this too. Before the judge releases the kids or continues to hold them the police reports are read. N the first few times I was shocked. I think most are gang related but not all.

If this is a cross section of failures in parenting or social problems is yet to be seen. After watching the sheer number of kids arrested with guns in school, it is no wonder why school shootings are rampant.

Sad times we live in. And the politicians don’t seem to think it is important.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 24, 2022 10:18PM

Of course it isn't important to politicians. The important thing is that the NRA keeps forking over the money.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 24, 2022 10:26PM

I'm guessing that gun manufacturers and NRA pushers are writing a lot of checks to law makers right now.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 24, 2022 10:57PM

I'm still shocked, but not at all surprised.

Things will change when children are more important than guns. We apparently are not there yet for a majority of the citizenry, or at least a majority of our representation.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 24, 2022 11:13PM

Allowing the killing of kids after they emerge from the womb belies the professed concern for them while they are in the womb.

Seems pretty simple.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 24, 2022 11:27PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Allowing the killing of kids after they emerge
> from the womb belies the professed concern for
> them while they are in the womb.

Great point.

But beyond tragic.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 25, 2022 01:30PM

Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: May 25, 2022 01:31PM

Susan, Dagny, and Brother of Jerry, with all due respect and humility, I am going to post what I have posted to you all in a similar thread. The issue is not gun control, that is too micro. It is impossible to gather up all the guns and control them. It cannot and will not work. Not because I said so, just look at history.

This is my previous post:

Dagny and Brother of Jerry, both excellent points you made. However, what is your answer to the problem? Gathering up all the guns? Banning gun sales? Will that work or will it go the same way as prohibition did in the 1920's or the drug wars?

The Nazi's creatively killed thousands, if not millions, without guns. They used poisons, ovens, ropes & trees, fire, starvation etc...

Joseph Stalin killed far more people than Hitler was able to achieve, 20 million plus.

Mao Zedong killed around 45 million people. The great wall of China was not built as a tourist attraction, it is there to protect the Chinese from invasion from Genghis Kahn.

2996 people died on 9/11 by aircraft and box cutter knives and few other non-gun items.

Let's look at Ted Bundy, William Gacy, BTK, Richard Kuklinski, and Christopher Duntsch, all who may have used a gun to subdue but then killed without the gun. Some didn't use a gun at all, they were more creative than that. Gacy would play a trick to get hand cuffs on his victims to control and kill them. Bundy used a phony police badge then crushed your head in with a tree trunk or a rock. Kuklinski and Duntsch killed with poisons. BTK took pleasure in strangling his victims and watching them die slowly as did Bundy.

But hold on here, I do see one universal theme from these examples and so many more...Mental Health.

And especially from this forum, where religion we can see has done so much damage to the human thought processes...

Mental Health, think about it.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 25, 2022 08:18PM

Susan I/S Wrote:
> And we do nothing but continue to allow the NRA to
> shape policy.

That was quite the scene at the press conference today: Beto v Abbott.

Not a good look for Texas, at least from afar, as I am.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 25, 2022 09:21PM

Thanks NG. I had not seen that. Really, Abbott makes it legal to carry a gun around with no permit and no regulation then wants to speak about the kids who were shot? The NRA got caught with it's hand in the till so Abbott was happy to have them move to TX. He is supposed to go to a big NRA convention THIS WEEKEND and can't seem to decide if he will go.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/05/25/greg-abbott-texas-nra-uvalde-shooting/

Even Romney has his hand out.

https://www.pressherald.com/2022/05/25/after-texas-shooting-republicans-face-online-anger-over-nra-money/

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: May 24, 2022 11:37PM

This is the first I've heard this news. An 18 year old hispanic that killed other Mexican children, so this isn't a race issue. The article didn't mention a motive. Tragic for sure.

We live in a violent society that has many young people who haven't got a clear plan in this life. We set them loose at 18 to go make a way in the world when they haven't got the wherewithal to be making adult decisions, or to think rationally. The system failed this kid. Perhaps it's religion that failed him, failure to learn the morals from the Bible, right and wrong.

Date: May 24, 2022 11:40PM

You wouldn't get the point if you were shot point blank with a compound bow.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 25, 2022 09:57AM

At least the killer wouldn't have used a gun.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: May 25, 2022 01:27PM

What if it was a bow made of fine steel?

Date: May 25, 2022 08:51PM

Then it wouldn't be a compound bow!

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: May 25, 2022 08:58AM

Maca Wrote:
> This is the first I've heard this news. An 18 year
> old hispanic that killed other Mexican children,
> so this isn't a race issue. The article didn't
> mention a motive. Tragic for sure.

We'll probably never have a motive in this case as the suspect was shot dead by border control (who came when called), and there is no known manifesto involved.
>
> We live in a violent society that has many young
> people who haven't got a clear plan in this life.
> We set them loose at 18 to go make a way in the
> world when they haven't got the wherewithal to be
> making adult decisions, or to think rationally.
> The system failed this kid. Perhaps it's religion
> that failed him, failure to learn the morals from
> the Bible, right and wrong.

While all of this may be true, the fact that this person could legally purchase two assault-style weapons (as reported by national media) made this case much worse. If he couldn't legally get a hold of those kinds of weapons quickly, he may have settled for knives which probably would have saved all 21 lives lost.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 25, 2022 01:32PM

I'd just like to point out that the Bible is a terrible book for teaching you morals. Almost as bad as the BoM ;-)

Religions do not have a monopoly on morals. I'm a very moral apatheist.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 25, 2022 02:06AM

Where was NRA's fabled "good guy with a gun" ?

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: May 25, 2022 09:31AM

To some he wasn't in Buffalo because they don't allow him to be there. Had he been there it would have changed the balance they said. But this is Texas, where this is the third such massacre in just the past 4 years or so. Perhaps he forgot to strap on his gun.

I hate to sound flippant in the face of such horror but I am sick of all the justifications, nnd excuses that are trotted out every time this happens. Guns do not kill people, but people with guns do.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: May 25, 2022 08:34AM

Americans care more about their guns, than the lives of their children. How can anyone conclude otherwise?

Pathetic.

HH

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: May 25, 2022 08:44AM

We travel a lot and my ex-wife asked us where is the most dangerous place we've been too. Without hesitation, we both said, the US.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 25, 2022 10:08AM

The last time I was downtown, I saw two people who clearly belonged in a psych ward. There is no public policy for dealing with mentally ill people who by all appearances are dangerous but haven't hurt anybody yet.

Free-floating crazies and guns are a bad combination. But, with the political inability to even fix this country's crumbling infrastructure, I don't see much promise for mental health reform.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: May 25, 2022 12:08PM

I'm going to weigh in on this.
I grew up in a time with either WW2 propaganda movies or 6 gun justice pummeling us on the big screen yet we didn't shoot up the schools or each other to the extent people do today.
If the answer is take away all guns, fine but how do you protect yourselves and schools until you get rid of them?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 25, 2022 01:24PM

If you take away our guns then how will we protect ourselves from christers ?

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: May 25, 2022 01:53PM

First you have to take them away from
brainless red necks. Which means you'd have to disarm our local police.

Posted by: Stiffnekid ( )
Date: May 26, 2022 02:59AM

Why some kid who resembles richard ramirez wants to shoot a bunch of mexican kids? You cant make this up. Its creepy.

Date: May 26, 2022 03:11AM

Perhaps because the people who offended him are the ones with whom he most frequently interacted, meaning his community.

That's the way it usually. Most homicide is within the person's social network, if not family, because that's where the slights and insults occur.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.