Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: May 29, 2022 09:13PM

A Mormon friend of mine died recently. Her husband just introduced his new "eternal companion" on social media.

As both are in their 70s, I wondered what criteria she met to be able to become his 2nd "eternal companion".

A story is told a few years ago about her conversion to the faith in the Ensign. At the time, she was "immersed in a worldly lifestyle" but read the BOM and recognized it's truth and converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

She'd had 2 other marriages before her conversion so I'm wondering what hoops she had to jump through to become a 2nd eternal companion?

(BTW Her new husband is very, very rich.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 29, 2022 09:37PM

As long as she wasn't sealed to someone before it's pretty automatic.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 29, 2022 11:20PM

It's pretty automatic even if she was sealed to someone else. The former sealant (sealee?)is informed of the proposed temple cancellation of sealing and new sealing, and is given the opportunity to state any reason why this should not be approved.

The purpose of that request, as I understand it, is to provide the other former spouse the opportunity to demand that the about to be re-sealed owes back child support. The new sealing will be held up until that is cleared up.

I think LDS Inc has a vested interest in getting back child support paid, since they are likely being hit up for welfare from the spouse (typically though not always the wife) and children that are being stiffed.

Other than that, just claiming that the person petitioning for a new sealing and a concomitant cancellation of sealing if appropriate, is a douche bag is not enough to derail the new sealing.

In short, the Church informs the other spouse that the sealing will be cancelled. They are not asking permission. That ex-spouse does not really have a veto power over the decision.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 29, 2022 11:15PM

a woman who was "immersed in a worldly lifestyle" ~

with two other marriages ~

an polly knows which hoops to jump through ~

an how to jump through them ~

sound like the exact criteria ~

for 2nd eternal companion ~

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 30, 2022 10:49AM

in the Brigham City cemetery yesterday that had several wives and one husband.

My cousin died at 37. Her husband was meeting a widow at the temple for months before my cousin died of cancer. My cousin found out about it before she died. He married his new wife a month after his wife died. It created a horrible mess for the six children. That was how many years ago? I'm 64 and my cousin was 3 days older than I am. What is wrong with this picture???????

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 30, 2022 12:16PM

Nothing, if you're a TBM.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: May 30, 2022 12:01PM

All of which underlines the secondary position of women in Mormonism. Only in Mormonism do they talk of the wife "belonging" to the husband.

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: May 30, 2022 02:01PM

My TBM brother is now on his 3rd wife. He divorced the first two. He wa sealed to all three, and the first two never remarried or asked for a sealing cancellation, I often wonder what he pictures it will be like in the CK...

Posted by: I ( )
Date: June 01, 2022 03:26AM

Hoops? He is doing the Hugh La. Hoops here.
She need not go through any herself, really.

They both believe in something made up...
And so go thru the motions for those beliefs.

Beliefs are only skeptical hopes anyway.

If she can Jump Through Hoops
She'll make a decent S.E.C.

Mormons: more worried about a SECOND in a future in another world that can only be imagined than a SECOND on earth, in THIS existence,

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 01, 2022 06:51AM

The first wife is only a footnote if she has passed on and the Mormon man has remarried. I guess that's why Nelson pisses me off, but I really shouldn't care.

Here's a guy that pushed 10 kids out of her, a woman who sacrificed to put him through medical school while she sold her blood to make ends meet. She passes away and he never mentions her by name in any public discourse.

And along comes this leaf blowing in the wind and he praises her to no end as if she's the greatest thing to come along since sliced bread.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.