Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: June 11, 2022 12:09AM

LD$, Inc. may have dropped the Boy Scouts, but they still have the same safety issues

https://www.ksl.com/article/50420984/crews-rescue-15-utah-youth-adults-from-treacherous-slot-canyon

"Crews on Friday rescued a youth group and two of their adult leaders who had become stuck in a slot canyon in Garfield County.

The young men's group from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints went for a short hike Thursday morning in Sandthrax Canyon. Search and rescue crews dropped food and water for them Thursday evening, said Garfield County Sheriff Danny Perkins.

"We are in the middle of rescuing 15 young men and two young men leaders in one of our most treacherous slot canyons," Perkins posted on Twitter."

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 11, 2022 01:43AM

https://www.roadtripryan.com/go/t/utah/north-wash/sandthrax-canyon

"SANDTHRAX CANYON IS NOT APPROPRIATE FOR MOST CANYONEERS! It requires climbing competency and ability that most canyoneers do not possess. There have been several accidents in the canyon already, fortunately, none fatal yet. IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS ABOUT YOUR ABILITY TO DESCEND THE CANYON, YOU ARE NOT READY TO DO IT!"

Pictures of what is involved

https://climb-utah.com/Powell/sandthrax1.htm

This was another example of mormon youth leaders utter incompetence

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 11, 2022 03:41AM

Yet more mormon idiocy.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: June 11, 2022 08:19AM

I’m glad I won’t be at that ward next fast Sunday. Think of all the testimonies.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 11, 2022 09:12AM

Yup. Prayer got the boys out of a very bad situation. ...Well prayer and a very expensive rescue operation.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 11, 2022 09:14AM

Who in their right mind would think this is an appropriate activity for a youth group?

Date: June 12, 2022 02:38PM

Nobody in their right mind would think this was an appropriate activity for a youth group.

But then, these were mormons.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 11, 2022 10:46AM

The rescue operation costs should come out of the youth leaders' pockets.

And you have to remember that a GA once said that when they have spoken, or the "prophet" has spoken, the thinking has been done.

Therefore, their brains have been turned over to the GA's a long time ago; they aren't capable of having any common sense or foresight.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: June 11, 2022 04:48PM

had close calls with death by drowning in the scouts including my brother who is disabled. The leaders took chances they never should have.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 11, 2022 04:49PM

having been caught in many a treacherous slot his self ~

ziller would advise ~

that we should train our young men to avoid treacherous slots ~

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: June 12, 2022 01:55PM

"The young men's group ... went for a short hike."

Shaking my head...

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: June 12, 2022 02:21PM

I love slot canyons, but even though the Holy Ghost no longer prompts and protects me like it does righteous Mormons (especially priesthood holders and temple recommend holders), I still have enough common sense to realize when it would be a mistake to go any farther.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.