Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: munchybotazv2 ( )
Date: June 11, 2022 09:42AM

or I should say I tried to. I fell asleep and now need to rewatch most of Parts One and Two.

Also maybe not the best idea, since I'm still processing the stuff that Under the Banner of Heaven dredged up. That helped me realize I was literally *trained* to accept abuse and am still not finished working through that. When I'm treated badly, instead of just going, "That's unacceptable" and refusing to continue, now I just go, "It's them, not me." Their problem, not mine. I can take it! It doesn't have to affect me. But of course it does, and it still feels terrible and stresses me out.

Just like with UTBOH, I kept noticing the similarities to my own experience, having to participate in the Mormon church for 5-6 years as a teenager in the 1970s. The Mormon church is a ridiculous, horrible, stupid cult, and I still have a huge problem with my parents for forcing it upon me.

That's the thing: As extreme and shocking as fundamentalist Mormonism seems, it's really not that different from modern, mainstream Mormonism. It is and was always obviously just a bunch of sociopathic men, forcing others to do their bidding. And anyone who can't figure that out is just like, hello, brain not working.

Also, Mike Watkiss. What happened to him, besides aging?

Like I said, I need to rewatch Parts One and Two.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 11, 2022 10:00AM

I also watched it and I clearly remember the 1953 raid on Short creek by AZ DPS.
I also followed reports about this community throughout my adult life.
I knew 2 women who had escaped from there with their children.
In my opinion this type of exposure of slavery and forcible rape should happen whenever such an event happens.
I believe that this is still going on in various places here in the USA and it is slavery and I am opposed to it
I have no problem with adult groups living together and participating in VOLUNTARY ADULT SEXUAL ENCOUNTERS.
But never ever should forcible interference with another human beings rights be a part of it. And definately NEVER should minors be involved.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 11, 2022 10:21AM

>>That's the thing: As extreme and shocking as fundamentalist Mormonism seems, it's really not that different from modern, mainstream Mormonism. It is and was always obviously just a bunch of sociopathic men, forcing others to do their bidding.

I read Krakauer's book, but haven't yet seen the TV series. If I had to pick a theme for the book, this would be it -- that traces of distasteful behavior in the early, fundamentalist Mormon sect are still present in the modern church, no matter how much the church tries to disavow it. The modern LDS church wants to only acknowledge a cleaned-up and sanitized past, but distances itself from the unpleasantry.

I don't think that the state of Utah ever adequately addressed the fundies -- it took the Feds to do that. And I agree with Desertrat that what happens to the women and minors among the FLDS can be akin to slavery. If you are not completely free to walk away, then you are not free.

Date: June 12, 2022 02:07PM

and brought me to RfM in 2006. Bunch of big epiphanies, one of which was that FLDS and Mormon are the same religion: https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,67303,67719#msg-67719

The TV series is really good, if you can take the willies ... super huge ones for me! At first I had a hard time with how pious all the Mormon characters are, talking about Heavenly Father and what-have-you outside of church, because that doesn't match my experience. But I got over that as it progressed, and the culture and behaviors are RIGHT ON.

Totally agree with your last paragraph. I'm getting a lot of that from Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: June 11, 2022 12:56PM

I fell asleep too. LOL!, It didn’t put me to sleep, I just tried to watch it after a big meal and was dead tired. The few minutes I did see looked pretty good though.

Gonna try it again tonight.

Date: June 12, 2022 01:33PM

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: June 11, 2022 10:44PM

I've been watching it too. Trying to see an episode each night.

It's well done and I'm seeing more new information than I had expected.

In one bit of video, some FLDS women had put together a song and dance about keeping sweet. Yeah, it was creepy from that perspective, but the women had obviously put some work into it. At the end, some creepy cretin yelled, "now go do the dishes," followed by laughter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2022 10:45PM by Gordon B. Stinky.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: June 12, 2022 11:47AM

I made it through 3 last night and fell asleep in 4. I have seen something else that had Rebekkah and Elisa or is it Elise before. Does anyone know which program that was? Was it the Escape from Polygamy on one of the cable channels?

I don't know how things turn out for Ruby, but her story so far is so sad.

Date: June 12, 2022 01:36PM

I have also seen some of the escaped wives featured in other documentaries, but I don't recall exactly what (I assume something on YouTube, but could be wrong).

Date: June 12, 2022 01:31PM

Being married and not knowing how babies are made ... ugh! Never mind that you have to marry an 85-yo man, and your father is proud of that.

BTW I saw your thread but didn't reply to it because of all the RLDS stuff. What is that, lol.

Date: June 12, 2022 01:39PM

munchybotazv2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Being married and not knowing how babies are made
> ... ugh!

That blew me away. Enforced ignorance.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 12, 2022 01:02PM

Nice to see you :-D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2022 02:11AM by Soft Machine.

Date: June 12, 2022 01:17PM

Date: June 12, 2022 01:46PM

One thing that I didn't know was that some children had been taken from their mothers in Short Creek to YFZ in TX, without the mother's consent, and even without their knowledge in some cases!

I do remember the authorities having trouble reuniting kids with their biological mothers.

So "the men" sent for the mothers back in Short Creek. Can you imagine basically being told, "you're not good enough to be here, but come down now so that 'we' can get the kids back"???

The FLDS cultists were squawking about the children being taken away, but in many cases they'd already taken them from their mothers!

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 12, 2022 02:16PM

Binge watched the whole thing on Friday. Warren Jeffs is a horribly sick man.

Date: June 12, 2022 03:01PM

A sociopath and con man, like all of them. Mike Watkiss called him "the Caligula of polygamy."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.