Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jay ( )
Date: June 12, 2022 12:25AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 12, 2022 01:11AM

I've seen it done several times.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: June 12, 2022 08:44AM

where does the olive oil go?

Date: June 12, 2022 09:26PM

Olive oil is a small drop either applied to the forehead or the top if the head depending on the person.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 12, 2022 08:20AM

There have been numerous reports on this site about this.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 12, 2022 10:25AM

I've seen it happen in part member families. The member spouse convinces the non-member to submit. Often the blessor will take the opportunity during the blessing to preach to the blessee and challenge them to join up. Mormonism at its finest.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: June 12, 2022 11:44AM

has offered to give me and mine blessings a few times. Our son has had some mental health issues, ended up with meningitis and life flighted to SLC in April. I was offered to sit next to them at church and blessings. My boss offered my son a blessing and I turned it down. I have no doubt if I asked my aunt's husband. I don't claim him as family, that he'd be willing, but I'd never do that.

Any blessing I got--3--didn't do a damn thing and in reality left me with a stupor of thought.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: June 12, 2022 12:24PM

After I had cancer, my TBM brother tried to tell me that only his prayers had mattered. Not a "blessing" proper, but he clumsily tried to tell me about "authority" or some such, without using the word "priesthood." In other words, he tried to take credit for my survival and recovery, but after the fact.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 12, 2022 09:40PM

I have a friend who’s family joined the church because a LDS neighbor offered a blessing to a family member who got injured in a motorcycle accident.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: June 13, 2022 01:21AM

Does anyone remember the one about the GA anointing his buddy who had been hit with shrapnel and commanding him to live?

I'm thinking Paul Humbug Dunn but could be wrong.

I do remember Dunn had a story about a soldier dying in his arms, and it turned out the guy was still alive in the 1980s.

We had an eternal investigator who always asked us for a blessing, she seemed really into the ritual, and had been blessed by elders in our district for many years, and was very creepy.

Date: June 16, 2022 05:21PM

If you watch the documentary on Mark Hofmann, there's a segment where right after the third bomb goes off and severely wounds Hofmann, a passer by says he saw Hofmann was wearing garments so he blessed Hofmann and commanded Hofmann to live.

Date: June 18, 2022 02:44PM

It's been a while since I saw it, but IIRC right after he says it the interviewer seems a bit incredulous, and they guy confirms that he commanded him to live, and seems to believe in his own power to do so. Just another glimpse of mormonism's weirdness...

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: June 13, 2022 01:17PM

When I was a mishi we had a door approach where we'd bless a home. Using all the theatrics and etc, we had perfect strangers crying after doing it. I believe it was lorin c dunns idea.

Date: June 13, 2022 01:46PM

I think if mishies blessed my house, I'd invite them in to participate in an exorcism!

I'd say, "perfect timing! The priest will be here any minute. Have a seat."

I wonder how they'd respond!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 20, 2022 01:07PM

The church patriarchs used to even give patriarchal blessings to non-Mormons. I'm sure that since "Correlation," they've likely prohibited that.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 20, 2022 08:49PM

I personally don't see a problem if someone performs some form of spiritual blessing especially when the person receiving is on their death bed or is suffering a serious medical condition.

What harm can be done, the act may give them some peace of mind and allow them to face death with some comfort.

None of really know if there is something after we die, but we all might recall a religious teaching we heard as a child and think maybe, just maybe, there is some new life after death.

Date: June 21, 2022 12:11AM

Fixed the subject.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.