Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: karin ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 08:48PM

Are the stories made up to show a point or are these real and true stories from real and true mormons?

Some mother actually sat at her table and would rather see her kids starve than not pay her tithing?

CA girl's story was MUCH more believable than the one in the ensign.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 02:34AM

Mine were entirely true.

Dunno about the rest of them, though.

Posted by: MsRed ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 06:16AM

I remember my dad being involved in a story that was printed in the Ensign. It was a story of how a bird was in the tabernacle and someone wanted to shoot it and suddenly Elder so-and-so recieved inspiration to shut off the lights and open the door and let it fly out. My dad said the way it was told was not anywhere near the way it actually happened - the details and most of the story had been changed so much, the story was barely recognizable.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 11:29AM

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 07:21AM

I know someone that sent in a story. She said it was heavily edited.She was somewhat dissappointed but felt he main message stood so she let it go..

Posted by: george ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 07:53AM

I wrote two stories for the Church News.They were printed exactly as written.

Posted by: European View ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 08:23AM

I had a something printed in the Ensign. They tidied up the grammar a bit, but apart from that, word for word.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 08:47AM

I have personal knowledge of a story that was in both the church news and Ensign. It involved some of my family members.

The story was written to highlight the involvement of a geriatric authority (Monson) and left out the family member who did all the work (the real story). It wasn't a lie, it just made the GA look good and didn't tell the real story.

It was an eye opener for me.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 09:17AM

Simone Stigmata Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have personal knowledge of a story that was in
> both the church news and Ensign. It involved some
> of my family members.
>
> The story was written to highlight the involvement
> of a geriatric authority (Monson) and left out the
> family member who did all the work (the real
> story). It wasn't a lie, it just made the GA look
> good and didn't tell the real story.
>
> It was an eye opener for me.

Was it written so that the reader would be led to a wrong conclusion as to what really happened? If so then it's a lie. Just one designed with plausable deniablity if caught

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 09:33AM

Not so much a wrong conclusion. It just ignored the real efforts of family members and highlighted Mr. GA showing up at the last minute for his accolades. It really made it obvious to me how church publications are just propaganda.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 10:12AM

My father had a story prin tedabout a family they had helped but sadly shortly after the mother die4d and the kids were addopted into non mormon families. The end of the story didnt have the sadly bit at all it was all faith promotieng so no mention of what happend later and I know my dad wrote that.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 01:39PM

...there was a story/article written about one of the local leaders and his family. There were nice pictures(staged) to go along with the glowing write up. Many of us in the ward read it and commented on the large divide between reality and what was printed. I'm picturing a lot of lipstick on a pig.

Stunted

Posted by: keentish ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 01:49PM

As a former writer for the Church News all such stories were on real people. The only time I came across out and out lies was when we got copies of General Conference talks before conference day and there were sometimes references to events that took place while the speaker was walking to conference that morning.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.