Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jay ( )
Date: June 21, 2022 09:19PM

He looked more earnest and dedicated than the two standing by his side.

I felt like his stance indicated he took the whole thing more seriously than the other two yahoos with their arms flopping around haphazardly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 21, 2022 09:25PM

"The other two yahoos."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 21, 2022 10:04PM

<sigh>

Einstein on the back of his niece’s soon-to-be boyfriend’s motorcycle, shouting “Yahoo!”

Date: June 22, 2022 12:19AM

You two boneheads didn’t go political did you?

I’d expect better of you ED.

Date: June 22, 2022 12:28AM

You're a joke, Jay.

You call people "yahoos," and I implicitly ask what basis other than politics you have for making that distinction. Your response is to accuse us of engaging in politics???

Grow up.

Date: June 22, 2022 12:34AM

ED can still save the day.

But you precisely confirmed my suspicion. You interpreted me referencing the other two as yahoos as having something to do with politics.

I’m pointing out that the Mormon who raised his right arm to the square looks so much more earnest because he’s taking that right arm way more seriously than anybody else. That right arm means something to Mormons. It has to have a certain look. Everybody else just kind of raises their right hand. I making fun of the Mormon guy with the way he’s raising the right arm.

So politics? You went there not me. So did you just call yourself a joke? Snort

Not surprised I understand sometimes you get really stuck. Now ED on the other hand usually can just go for the funny line. He’s gotta have a few right at the tip of his tongue.

Date: June 22, 2022 12:42AM

My comment was absolutely consonant with the rules of this board.

If you can stop your snorting for a moment, perhaps you can explain your fixation with me. You've been back for about four or five days and within that span of time you've taken several unprovoked shots.

Why don't you pull up your big boy pants and say exactly what your motivation is rather than opting for passive aggression that frankly makes you look weak?

Date: June 22, 2022 12:51AM

I’ve always enjoyed poking at know it all blow hards. Simple. Your name calling in condescension towards people just brings it out in me.

Doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy plenty of your post and what you have to say. It’s just a personality trait that I have fun with. And it doesn’t mean that I don’t think you’re a wonderful person. I’m sure your loads of fun. But there’s something that you’re dealing with that compels you to act that way. You’re not the first. You won’t be the last. And there’s just guys around like me who have fun with it.

Date: June 22, 2022 01:01AM

The clarity is almost as nice as the unintentional and hence self-revelatory irony.

You state that I call other people names but do so by describing me as a "know it all blow hard." You accuse me of condescension even as you write condescendingly.

And calling EOD "ED?" That's either another poor attempt at humor or projection.

In either case you are a joke.

Date: June 22, 2022 01:17AM

That’s some funny stuff.

No ED is short for elder dog I guess it is elder old dog but either case I think he’s saying old dog.

I think he’s made a few cracks at me here and there but I find him to be the funniest person on the board, unbelievably witty, and I’m amazed at how he can find something hilarious to say response to just about anything.

Anyways, back to my original post I guess you don’t see anything interesting about the pose that Rusty struck when he was sworn in in comparison to the others. When I saw his stance on the TV it was a little startling and then I found out he was a Mormon and it all kind of came together. I tried to make light of it be funny but I lack the skills of the old dog.

Date: June 22, 2022 01:20AM

Yes, Bowers appeared and was very Mormon. Raffensperger and the others were a bit less emotional but, in my view, equally sincere and credible.

Date: June 22, 2022 01:23AM

See that’s where I’m not funny.

My comment had nothing to do with real credibility of witnesses. It was a joke that the person who struck the pose with the most sincerity was to be taken the most seriously. And the Mormon wins the day.

But physical posture aside, the witnesses are wonderful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2022 01:23AM by jay.

Date: June 22, 2022 01:24AM

Agreed.

Date: June 22, 2022 01:26AM

EOD, Can you do something to get this thread on track and make it funny? Please . . .

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 22, 2022 09:03AM

I went back and double-checked . . .

Einstein actually said "Wahoo!", on the back of the motorcycle. It's at about 1:28 into the movie preview for "I.Q."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMlGIv1KSYk

It's a shmaltzy romantic comedy, which is how I run my life.

I don't do politics in the manner I see it mostly practiced, like a sport you can letter in, so you can be a BMOC and get the hot babes.

Although I will admit that if I were a going to be a sophomore at Newbury Park High School this coming Fall, I would run my ass off this Summer in hopes of making the track team when school started!

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: June 23, 2022 02:00AM

I have a niece (between my side of the family and my wife's, we have thirty-seven nieces and nephews) who is a rising sophomore at Newbury Park High School. I'll tell her to be on the prowl for you just in case you manage to pull off the time machine thing.

Date: June 23, 2022 02:43AM

You'd better warn her that EOD time travels in a Volkswagon minibus and not a Delorean.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: June 23, 2022 03:31AM

Duly noted! I shall warn her.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 22, 2022 12:34AM

Who was standing with him? What are you talking about?

Date: June 22, 2022 12:37AM

He was sworn in with two other people simultaneously three people were sworn in together. But Rusty stole the show with that beautiful right arm.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: June 22, 2022 01:20AM

The other two "yahoos" (I agree with LW--that wasn't a very nice term by the OP) standing with Rusty bowers were the Secretary of State for the state of Georgia and one of his subordinates who, I believe, oversaw elections in that state.

Being totally blind, I have/had no knowledge of how the right arms were raised. That said, if Mr. Bowers raised his right arm as if he were raising it to the square, he did it from long training and practice, something that the other two officials did not have because neither were Mormon.

Date: June 22, 2022 01:22AM

They didn't act in a Mormon way or speak with the Mormon lexicon and cadence. But they were equally sincere both about the events in question and the impact of the Big Lie on their personal lives.

Posted by: AZCrazy ( )
Date: June 22, 2022 04:29PM

I've known Rusty for years and he's as LDS as they come. The Donald and Rudy picked the wrong guy to ask to participate in their circus.

Rusty is a pretty humble guy who's actually a very accomplished fine artist, sculpture and school teacher. In his mind, I think he's in politics to actually make a difference and not to line his pockets. The AZ Speaker is only paid 24k a year compared to other State Reps in California that make well over a quarter million.

However, it's so very perplexing to me that despite all that Trump did that Rusty finds objectionable and "completely opposite to the teachings of his faith, " he stated yesterday after the hearings that if Trump runs in 2024 he'd vote for him again.

...wtf???

Date: June 22, 2022 04:37PM

That’s well stated. He appears a typical right-wing extremist and yet, almost like Cheney, he has admirable core moral principles.

He clearly is more ethical than an LDS church that will despite its constitutional doctrines take no stand regarding Ammon Bundy or Andy Biggs.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 22, 2022 06:28PM

So his ethics only go so far. He'd let Trump have another go at it, so long as it doesn't involve him.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 22, 2022 06:51PM

I keep around some old newspapers with which to use while potting, painting, etc. I have a copy of the Washington Post from September 25th, 2020. One of the headlines reads, "Trump again says he may not abide by election results." And, he didn't.

I think what Trump did either borders on treason, or is outright treason. I think he needs to be held accountable for his actions. People died as a result of the January 6th uprising. The lives of our federal lawmakers were seriously threatened. IMO if people would vote for Trump again, they don't understand what this country is about.

There have been presidential elections that have been close, but the most recent one was not one of them. Plus, the results were thoroughly vetted. If I could suck it up for four long years when Trump was elected, then people can suck it up for Biden.

As a public educator, it makes me wonder what has happened to civic education in this country that the right wingers are so far in denial.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: June 22, 2022 07:24PM

Every time he was asked if he'd participate in a peaceful transfer of power he'd say, "We'll see. We'll wait and see what the results are. If it's a fair election, I'll win and there will be no transfer of power. It'll be a continuation."

Then when he lost he ignored his WH lawyers, the AG, the justice department, his own family, and went with drunk Rudy's advice, just say you won! And he did. He claimed victory, never conceded defeat and walked off with 1/4 Billion in grift from it, to date.

Where's the balls?

Why doesn't Congress subpoena him like they did Clinton over a BJ?

Posted by: AZCrazy ( )
Date: June 22, 2022 04:50PM

..agreed. Although in my opinion Rusty and Andy Biggs are different creatures entirely. Biggs has no character or principles...but yet LDS members in good standing line up to vote for him (and The Donald)...I just don't get it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.