Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 01:55AM

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/psychedelics-mormon-church-divine-assembly-1375027

"Worshippers are leaving the Church of Latter-day Saints in record numbers, and some are finding solace with an apostate band of psilocybin-loving spiritual explorers looking for God — one trip at a time.

On a Sunday afternoon in March, a group of 30 strangers huddle under a park pavilion in Salt Lake City, Utah, sipping hot cocoa and shaking hands shyly as snow clots the cottonwoods. A clean-cut gang of mostly white professionals, they are united by their interest in the Divine Assembly, a two-year old church with 3,000 members that considers psilocybin its holy sacrament.

Urquhart, ever the provocateur, paints a slightly more vivid picture: Like a mushroom spurting forth from a cow patty, “the Divine Assembly is growing out of the death and decay of the LDS Church.

The LDS Church is far from the only organized religion in decline. As of 2020, for the first time since Gallup began asking the question in 1937, less than half of Americans belong to a church, synagogue, or mosque. Nevertheless, according to another recent survey from Pew Research, 90 percent of Americans still say they believe in a higher power, with 56 percent placing their faith in a theistic god, and 33 percent acknowledging a more abstract spiritual force. All told, it appears God is not, after all, dead; neither science nor technology have sated man’s need for meaning. Now, as psychedelics such as psilocybin are reentering the mainstream for their promise in treating some aspects of the mental-health crisis — a crisis Utah leads the nation in by some counts, with more residents depressed and suicidal than those in almost any other state — a second question is emerging, perhaps intertwined with the first: Can psychedelics help heal us and restore our connection to the divine?”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 02:46AM

Dumbth

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 07:54AM

Now get Russell M Nelson to partake.

I thought it was a great introduction to post-Mormonism as well as the psychedelic experience.

"After a lifetime of believing God could read his thoughts, and hated him for them, the experience — his psychedelic one — was a revelation. “The only word I have for it is rapture,” Urquhart says. He also realized he didn’t know how to love Sara or his children the way he wanted to, the way God loved him."

Mormons who don't know how to love. Who knew?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 09:48AM

The First Vision.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 10:22AM

I hope they also are including group sex in the tenets of their faith

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 05:40PM

those members who have had their callings and elections made sure.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 05:44PM

special on mushrooms and one guy was postulating that magic mushrooms were the fuel that powered brain development in early man.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 03:13PM

Magic mushrooms definitely don't require faith!

Maybe there was some faith in not being caught while picking them in the cow fields of the river valley that night.

But in the end, divine providence kicked in when the sheriff realized he knew the older brother of one of the hunters and let them go with a warning.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 03:33PM

I presume the foregoing does not constitute an admission of guilt?

Date: June 30, 2022 04:53PM

Fifth!

Yes, twas my older brother that let us escape our temporary bonds, but if they let us go, how could we be guilty?

Date: June 30, 2022 06:28PM

Did you know that Michael Flynn is but the latest in a line of "juniors" with that name?

It's true. People who know him well call him Michael the Fifth.

Date: June 30, 2022 06:53PM

Roy G Fifth....kinda has a nice ring to it.

Now I'm off to overturn the thinking that indigo isn't a color in the spectrum....also known as "the big lie" in the world of visible light.

Date: June 30, 2022 06:55PM

It's a lie? I'm indignant!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 07:29PM

Date: June 30, 2022 07:36PM

Yes, that was the joke.

You can pick pick up your prize at the door.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 07:41PM

What can I pick up in the potty?

Date: June 30, 2022 08:24PM

Anything that catches your fancy!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 01, 2022 01:53AM

Some weird disease

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 03:31PM

Yellowstone National Park is full of magic mushrooms due to the 6,000 plus bison that roam the Park. They are especially common in the Northeast portion in the Lamar Valley where 3,000 to 4,000 congregate to mate in late June (now) and stay through August.

I spend a number of days fly fishing the Northeast section of Yellowstone and always chuckle when I run across mushroom pickers since they're normally carrying a grocery bag. Not sure if any are Mormon.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 03:45PM

How can I contact people who have bailed out?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2022 05:17PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 04:48PM

. . . and well we know how depressogenic Mormonism is

Tickling serotonin 5-HT2A receptors results in immediate sprouting of neuronal "boutons" increasing synaptic density and relieving depression. Because of the mechanism the result is immediate (in contrast to typical reuptake inhibitors requiring a minimum of eleven days to begin to see benefit, because these same bouton effects are well "downstream")

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/newsroom/news-releases/psilocybin-treatment-for-major-depression-effective-for-up-to-a-year-for-most-patients-study-shows#:~:text=Previous%20studies%20by%20Johns%20Hopkins,for%20up%20to%20a%20month.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5756147/

But it requires titration -- too much and congrats, got yerself a psychosis

Better living through neuropharmacotherapy ;-)

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 05:22PM

So interesting. I knew, or thought I knew, Steve Urquhart when he was uber-mormon and ultra-coservative state legislator. One of the last people I would have ever thought would stop clinging to the iron rod or follow the magic mushroom path.
I guess the lesson is that you never really know what's going on with people or where life might take them.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 08:07PM

Mormon Mushroom devotees are behind Mormon / LDS skinny-dippers in line… However there’s bound to be some crossover;)

just sayin’

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 30, 2022 08:08PM

Mods: please delete this post, TY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2022 02:10AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 03, 2022 03:20PM

I was on magic mushrooms when I was thrown into Orem City jail. I was homeless.

I saw the light and called my parents begging then to let me return home.

So you can say magic mushrooms helped me regain my faith.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.