Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: July 02, 2022 07:59PM

If life begins at conception, What will happen to the frozen embryos belonging to couples who used in vitro.

In the past, multiple embryos were implanted. Those most likely to result in a pregnancy were chosen for implanting Hence, lots of twins and occasional triplets. Excess embryos could be put into storage for more children later on, or in case the first procedure failed.

Now that technology has advanced, only one embryo is usually implanted. Still, my understanding is that many couples chose to maintain the embryos not used. What happens to them per the "pro-life" view that life begins at conception?

If they are destroyed, is that a violation in the pro-life states? If they cannot be destroyed, and the parents do not want to enlarge their family, and also doesn't want them donated, what happens?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2022 08:01PM by auntsukey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: July 02, 2022 08:25PM

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 03, 2022 01:08PM

It's up to States to decide what can be done with the embryos.

Seems to me too many people want federal government telling them what they can do or not to do.

Get active and work on your local officials to tell you how to lead your life.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 03, 2022 01:20PM

I'm not offering this to be critical, it's just an observation...

India gave away a chunk of land so that its Muslims could have a place to live their Muslim lives, and thus was born Pakistan.  It makes sense that there are currently those who praise that move and those who condemn it.

I consider it a strong possibility that because of an increased freedom of movement, The People of America are starting to do this, to 'partition' themselves based on wanting to be with people of similar interests.

If this follows a 'natural' progression, certain states will be known for their sets of beliefs, and their intolerance for other sets of belief.

And the question arises, can such differentiated beliefs allow for unity as a country?  Will Californians serve at a national level with Idahoans or Texans?  Will they trade with one another?  Will there have to be different version of Disneyland and different versions of movies and TV programs?

Will there be an agreement that we're all Americans?

Note: for an overview of how things have been working out since the 1947 Partition, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Pakistani_wars_and_conflicts

Would state by state partitioning within a national framework have a better outcome?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 03, 2022 01:24PM

Do you not get this? The local officials do not care what anyone thinks and have only focused on how to override any opposition to their minority views to maintain power at any cost. Do you not understand what the voter suppression actions have done that now are snowballing to make it difficult to change? Have you not noticed that action is being taken by the extreme minority to limit what local courts can do to further limit voting rights?

I hope it isn't too late to make our voices heard, but frankly all the local officials are bought and paid for by your side. No wonder you think that's fine. Who needs democracy when you can take away the voices of the people and have your views rule?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 03, 2022 01:37PM

Oh, please.

Utah legislators frequently bleat about decisions should be made on a more local level, until that local level us below state government, at which point the state government brings down the hammer. This is a massive case of "do what I say, not what I do."

Cases in point: gambling is forbidden in the state constitution, but it turns out that betting on horse races doesn't meet the technical definition of gambling. It turned out that individual counties could decide to allow parimutuel betting on horse races.

It would require a Utah constitutional amendment to take that power away from counties. In short order the legislature put together and passed an amendment, and got the local sheep to vote for it.

Case 2, the Utah legislature passed a law forbidding school districts to have mask mandates. Governments of course have the right to pass public health and safety laws. They do it all the time. It is considerably less clear if they can prohibit public health practices.

So, local school boards had that power stripped from them. This was in 2020-21 when covid was flailing up that winter. It became the number 1 cause of death in the US for a couple of months.

The mayors of SLC and SL County viewed with alarm, and passed their own mandate for masking in those two jurisdictions, which included the schools in those jurisdictions.

The legislature was not amused by all this "local control". A few weeks later when the legislative session began in Utah (mid January), their very first order of business, after, I suppose, the opening prayer, was to pass a law stripping Utah cities and counties of the power to issue mask mandates.

Again, it is legally murky whether the state has the power to forbid a public health practice. They actions certainly put the lie to their whining about too much federal control, and decisions should be as local as possible.

Their real goal is that the state legislature gets to make all decisions. They are just afraid to say the quiet part out loud.

There are other equally egregious examples, but I think I have made my point.

Date: July 03, 2022 01:53PM

Misplaced

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2022 01:54PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 02, 2022 08:40PM

- - - Every fertilized ovum is a person (zygote), from the 'instant' of the union of sperm and egg, no matter the circumstances of the 'union'. Every fertilized egg will be acknowledged, the 'union' date noted to the best of scientific or religious ability, an American 'person' number will be assigned, and a State (or Territorial) ombudsperson assigned to monitor the pre-birth status of the plucky little zygote.

All alleged 'miscarriages', and terminations of any sort, will be investigated!!  The willful destruction of a zygote will result in appropriate criminal charges, depending on the circumstances. But only for suspected White zygotes.  All others are of no consequence, and in fact, a reward may ...  Check with your ombudsperson for reward details. - - -

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 02, 2022 08:51PM

The Star Chamber has ripped the foundation out from under 60 years of jurisprudence. No one, including them, knows what that means for society.

That's what you get when you invalidate the entire chain of substantive due process decisions. This is much bigger than abortion, much bigger even than the right to privacy.

The decision itself is an abortion.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 03, 2022 12:25AM

Congress makes the laws. They had plenty of heads-up. Congress didn't want to stick their necks out so SCOTUS did it for them. Maybe the real fuss is that legislators will now have to eat a poop sandwich.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 03, 2022 12:54AM

Are you suggesting that Congress should pass laws guaranteeing existing constitutional rights in case the supreme court decides to abolish them?

A law to guarantee freedom of speech, another to grant citizens the right to habeus corpus? Another stating that a person cannot be forced to testify against herself?

No, I don't think the legislature should do that. If the supremes want to overthrow the constitution, that's on them.

Date: July 03, 2022 01:54PM

As LW pointed out above, we don't really know what the fallout from Dodd is going to be. I doubt that even this SCOTUS will rule that a zygote is a person from fertilization, but some state legislatures may indeed try that.

In vitro fertilization is an issue.

Contraceptives that work by preventing the implantation of a fertilized egg is an issue.

Will all miscarriages have to be investigated as potential homicides?

Would it be legal to put a pregnant woman in prison, thereby imprisoning the "person" inside her without due process?

You can make up a very long list, somme entries more fanciful than others, but rest assured that declaring a zygote a person from the moment of conception would open a large array of cans of worms.

Edit to add: let me add a few more possible complications to declaring fetuses persons: can a fetus sue? Be sued? Can it inherit property? Does it qualify as a minor in the Uniform Gifts to Minors Act? Does it qualify as a person for tax purposes? Does it need a passport to travel internationally? Is it a US citizen if conceived in the US?

Edit to add: I forgot the biggie: if life begins at conception, then abortion in the case of rape or incest would be illegal, since that would now be homicide. Even abortion to save the life of the mother would be under careful legal scrutiny to make sure it was legal under some form of self defense.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2022 02:07PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: July 04, 2022 11:46PM

Additionally, The embryo or fetus is not a citizen because it is not born in the United States.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.