Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 05, 2022 02:58PM

This is what an apostle said at a government festive occasion.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2022-07-03/elder-uchtdorf-at-provo-freedom-festival-citizenship-in-gods-kingdom-is-the-highest-hope-for-humanity-260162

I think he is rich. I guess it is easier to reject selfishness and greed when one is rich?

But he also said he is a citizen of God's Kingdom. He was celebrating that more than the 4th. Life is good for him there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: July 05, 2022 03:41PM

I must have a negative view of human beings as I believe that all are selfish and greedy regardless of whether they are rich or not. I suspect that both are tied to our own survival mechanisms. Also, it is quite possible to be selfless about small things and selfish and greedy about things that we deem to be necessary to survive. So now when I read an apostle's (I won't capitalize the a) call for everyone to end their selfish and greedy ways I have to wonder what he is hiding in his background. That said, reducing (but not eliminating) selfishness and greed among the poor will take a lot of work over the generations, and part of that work will have to include making government policy decisions that will ensure that those who are without have enough supports, both financially and emotionally, that they can own a home, afford to buy clothes and food for themselves and their children, afford doctor bills and hospital stays, and support the education of their offspring. Anything short of this will ensure that greed and selfishness among the poor will either remain the same or increase.

Date: July 05, 2022 04:48PM

If I could just read where he rejected his selfishness and greed that would be a start. Jesus was supposed to be an example. How many people claiming to be citizens of his kingdom act like him in just simple living and sharing?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 05, 2022 06:31PM

So I guess his message is, "Do as I say not as I do"?

You could lead by example, Uchtdorf

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: July 06, 2022 12:09AM

Uchdorf is a guy who's probably in over his head in a strange culture that's baffling. He's continental, likes exotic foods, a globalist, a citizen of the world, an arm chair liberal, intellectual and buerocrat.

He dictates to the rest of us to sacrifice, to be nice, pretend not to be a bigot, all this in the safety of his basement,

The church gave him multiple houses a free car, and I don't think he shares his stuff, he hasn't invited homeless people to his park city challet has he?

Date: July 06, 2022 11:14AM

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Emma Lazurus

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 06, 2022 05:41PM

That stopped being operative when Maca's ancestors arrived in North America.

The plaque was scheduled to be taken down but corrupt deep-state buerocrats refused to provide the requisite funds.

Date: July 07, 2022 02:43PM

Yep. And I'm surprised he has trust issues and isn't a member in good standing. He probably is and PHIL is the poser.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 06, 2022 05:38PM

Anyone want to bet on which Maca learns to spell first: arguement or buerocrat?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 06, 2022 11:32AM

He is obviously better than me.

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: July 06, 2022 12:01PM

This is bullshit for a few reasons.

“Citizenship” in “The Church” is about belonging to an exclusive club. The christlike behaviour (which, as ever, is strange that they feel the need to explain) is generally only extended to those within the club. Mormonism is the epitome of divisiveness, yet hypocritically they will blame the person who is “dissenting”. It is not possible to be of one heart and get along with others if you don’t even understand them. What he really is saying is that other people need to join the club. One size fits all, theirs is the only way.

This is the core message behind every talk, article, conference, meeting, doctrine, book, handbook, and political statement from the mormon organisation. The rest is just empty nonsense. They only have one message. There is nothing good about it.

Not only is this entire article pure hypocrisy, it’s yet another exercise in virtue signalling. They should be called The Church of Virtue Signalling of Hypocritical Citizens.

As for all the wealth, they do nothing for the poor, or the sick. It’s the worst hypocrisy. They could build hospitals, but rely on brainwashing and “priesthood” blessings instead. EVERY single thing they promote, they are actually NOT doing themselves.

I’ve met a few wonderful, humble, compassionate, generous people in my time. None of them were mormons, and none of them had much themselves.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2022 12:04PM by Third of Five.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 06, 2022 12:22PM

Mitt Romney has always been a mixed bag to me. I'm sure he sees himself as having all the virtues. But the way that he systematically tore companies apart, and destroyed livelihoods while working for Bain, strikes me as being highly immoral. The way that he thinks of most of the U.S. citizens as being "the little people" is both clueless and dismissive at best, and immoral at worst. Is he known for doing any substantial charity work with his immense fortune? I don't think he's especially known for it.

But he has done many good things as well. As I said, a mixed bag.

In general, many of the ultra-wealthy would rather buy huge mansions and big, gas guzzling yachts rather than tackle some of the world's most pressing problems. Yes, we need less selfishness, greed, and pride. But I don't think that Mormon church leaders lecturing "the little people" will do much to solve that.

Date: July 07, 2022 12:18PM

Mormonism is first and foremost a leader church. No servant leader bullshit to see there.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 06, 2022 05:24PM

It's nice to see America's most wealthy church (net worth up there with the Vatican) doesn't act like Scrooge McDuck out of selfishness, greed, and pride.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.