Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 03:12PM

I'd be curious to hear some wonderful examples of the above topic you've experienced in the Church by honchos you've run afoul of.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 03:28PM

Are you referring to the voting machines? /s

Date: July 15, 2022 04:51PM

I don't understand what that has to do with Mitt Romney.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 05:17PM

Nothing to do with Mitt. It was an attempt at humor, you know, the dominion voting machines were supposedly switching votes...unrighteous dominion? Get it?

Never mind.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 05:20PM

I will confess to having suffered a "whoosh" on that one too.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 05:23PM

HA!

I got it immediately! Righteous Dominion counter-sued and theie case is going forward!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2022 05:23PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 18, 2022 06:59AM

;=]

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 18, 2022 08:08PM

Date: July 18, 2022 08:16PM

That woman is a hero. I have no words to express my admiration for her.

Date: July 15, 2022 05:42PM

I'm sick of you people always finding ways to bring up Mitt Romney! Will you please get back to the subject matter!

Date: July 15, 2022 06:18PM

"The Subject Matter" and "The Matter at Hand" can become disparate on RfM.

It's kind of a "I say baloney and you say bologna" thing, which I fear is going happen a lot in the CK.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 06:01PM

On fast Sundays my stepfather put a lock on the refrigerator with a sign that said, "Fast Sunday!" He kept snacks in his pocket so he could hide in his car in between church meetings on fast Sunday and eat butterscotch candies. Food was forbidden for everyone but him. Maybe it's hypocrite dominion.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 10:40PM

Where to start......

Joseph magically get revelations the people should donate money to him, build him a house, store and do free work on his business interests?

How about Joseph demanding your wife or daughter or both for his sexual gratification?

How about the convenient revelation one should never sue the church?

Do I really need to go into Brigham's confiscation of women, property and money?

How about the stake presidents and bishops convincing believing spouses to divorce non believing spouses?

How many times does a church leader demand a member pay for something, donate an item to the church or work for free?

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 16, 2022 10:02AM

. . . and then realized for there to be "domination" one must be "dominated" -- which is an internal state/mindset, which have never experienced. Always a nidus of resistance, "bad seed" thing probably, who knows.

But later in life figured out these are just undeveloped people who organize their world by clinging to belief - and because that cling is tenuous, these must surround themselves with like-clingers - and this is why they strive to force others to comply with their belief. That's the attempt at "dominion" but - don't have to play along.

Not just Mormonism or religion

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 18, 2022 03:43AM

"My way or the highway" people don't want their beliefs challenged. They are all they have.

Date: July 16, 2022 01:52PM

Tithing setlement? Verbal abuse?

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: July 18, 2022 02:58AM

All priesthood holders have unrighteousness dominion in their church callings because the mormon church isn’t what it claims to be.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 18, 2022 01:11PM

The single incident that invited me to leave their building and never come back was the EQ demanding in front of much of the ward that I meet with him immediately for a PPI. He said if I didn't he would go talk to the bishop. I told him don't bother and headed to that office and told the bishop I needed to talk to him. I had to wait until he was free to see me and then after listening to my concerns he asked for my recommend.

Date: July 18, 2022 06:01PM

Just curious what prompted the EQ pres to interview you?

Date: July 18, 2022 06:15PM

If I recall correctly, PPIs were mandatory quarterly meetings with priesthood leaders. Lot found them intrusive and told the EQP he would not do them. He incidentally refused to do his home teaching/ministering for the same reason.

It sounds like EB was likewise refusing to submit to the police state and his overlords would not accept it.

Date: July 18, 2022 06:21PM

Exactly.

Date: July 18, 2022 07:53PM

Ok thanks. Just wondering. Bad manners speaks for its self.

Date: July 19, 2022 01:15PM

Bad manners?

I calmly detailed my concerns in my inability to believe. I expressed a desire to continue attending sacrament meeting with my wife. I hadn't attended EQ in many many months. I had never had a PPI with this guy in my life and he had been pres for probably going on a year.

The bishop would not accept my proposal. I'm still curious why not. I told him that I would not resign for my wife's sake. I said excommunicate me if you would like. And at one point he was red faced and almost yelling at me in front of my wife.

She was surprised and upset with the way I was treated. But I know I can't blame them for doing what they thought was their duty. They actually did me a service.

Date: July 20, 2022 09:21AM

I've run into a few jerks like that although not quite that bad.
On behalf of the Tuscaloosa third ward I offer this apology and invite you to attend our ward this week whenever the air conditioning is fixed.

Date: July 20, 2022 11:26AM

Funny, I'm friends with members of "my" ward. My neighbor has become miffed about it I think. He is a member of the ward. He was mostly the only member I talked to until my wife made new friends and we have branched out.

I think you are calling people jerks where it is more behavior members find tolerable and acceptable. The men of my unrighteous dominion were doing these behaviors. I don't blame them as much as the culture Mormonism promotes. Many people don't behave like this. Your ward must be full of them. Good luck on the ac.

Date: July 20, 2022 03:17PM

One thing you have to realize is that The Famous Tuscaloosa Third Ward doesn't exist. They used to have 2 because of the UofA but it was discontinued . I heard they started it up again but that may be a rumor.
I don't live too far away but every thing I have said about it were actual occurrences but elsewhere.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: July 19, 2022 03:21PM

I had a YW calling. The bishop told YW leaders that we had to earn money for girls' camp through fundraisers. We had a yard/bake sale that was very successful. The girls and leaders did all the work. We earned enough money to pay for camp plus some pretty fun activities throughout the year. But it was not to be. The bishop took half of what we earned and gave it to the young men. As usual, we were stuck with activities like learning how to fold a fitted sheet. The young men went water skiing and such because they had half of our money plus scouting funds.

Date: July 20, 2022 12:32PM

> The bishop took half of
> what we earned and gave
> it to the young men.

1st thought:  the bishop was the YW's pimp!

2nd thought:  did any of the YW lose 'faith' in the church because of this misuse?

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: July 21, 2022 11:43AM

Great way to put it...bishop was YW's pimp! To my knowledge, I'm the only one who lost faith in the church over this. Although who knows, the YW girls are all adults now and I know a couple of them have left the church. So this may have weighed down a shelf or two.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: July 21, 2022 12:22PM

When you think about it, just about everything that occurs in Mormonism is based upon domination. Every conference talk is really about guilt and shame. Every book written is about guilt and shame. Tithing settlement, PPI's, interviews with the bishop, going on a mission indoctrination, temple attendance, etc........all of it is guilt and shame wrapped in glittery paper to make it look appealing.

Emotional manipulation is the basis and always has been. Once one peels off the emotional skin of religious devotion, it is easy to see how you and everybody about you is or has been used.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.