Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Folger ( )
Date: July 19, 2022 04:07AM

The mormons participate in freemason rituals in the temples. Should mormons be considered freemasons?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 19, 2022 11:02AM

No.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 19, 2022 11:49AM

Folger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Should mormons be considered
> freemasons?

If they let you believe in any God or gods, don't make you quit your current religion, and only allow men then yes.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: July 19, 2022 11:50AM

Can’t be, there are female Mormons, no female Freemasons (at least in the US).

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 19, 2022 11:59AM

They are separate organizations, although Mormon temple rituals drew heavily on Freemasonry. Also the Mason's dues are a whole lot smaller than what you have to pay to get temple privileges in Mormonism.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: July 19, 2022 06:01PM

would be unfree masons.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 19, 2022 09:56PM

Mormonism is complicated, and it has never quite figured which way it should go. It started out as a garden-variety tent-revival millenarian sect. The whole Book of Mormon is a treatise on Protestantism. But then JS discovered Freemasonry, and that indeed came to define the church more and more. It goes far beyond the temple ceremony. The Priesthood is a fraternal order. Heaven has degrees. The Bible was re-interpreted as a story about the patriarchs as craft masters. And so on. So yes, modern Mormonism can be seen as a variant of Freemasonry. The early leaders were in full agreement with the idea, as they saw Mormonism as restoring the "true order" of Freemasonry.

Date: July 20, 2022 11:36AM

That is literally the wrong idea of a fraternal order that is antiatheist and all about allegorical alliances of a brotherhood steeped in myth.

Mormonism stole somethings but isn't an offshoot or even in masonic genealogy.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: July 20, 2022 04:16AM

I don’t know if they can be. But from this day forward, when referring to a Mormon, I will say “he’s a Freemason” or “I believe that family practices Freemasonry.”

And I’ll say to Mormons, “you’re a Freemason, right?” “No? What’s the difference?” And “I still don’t get it. You should talk to a Freemason because it sounds exactly the same.”

Thanks for this post and all of the fun I’ll have with a straight face.

“You’re Mormon? What degree?”

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 20, 2022 01:21PM

Mormons were not allowed membership in certain masonic lodges. I know this was the case with certain lodges in Idaho but Idaho's original constitution banned Mormons from voting so Idaho was not pro-Mormon in the old days.

Mormonism is no more Mason than my college fraternity was where I was initiated, given a new name and swore four loyalty oaths with four separate handshakes.

I would say the temple is the Mormon church's fraternal order. It created a insider's club inside the church. Great if you want to have separate loyalties and keep secrets.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 20, 2022 05:58PM

While the signs and tokens are similar, the ceremonies and structures are completely different.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 20, 2022 07:17PM

Or Christians, or Methodists, or theists, or Earth Magic followers, or Sikhs (that's were the sacred undergarments was "borrowed" from) or any other religion Joe Smith stole something from?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 21, 2022 02:06AM

UnFreeMasons.

Yup.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 21, 2022 11:57PM

Pfffft!

Mormons can't even be considered Mormons.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 22, 2022 12:05AM

If I complete a Miniature Golf course, can I be considered a pro golfer?

Date: July 23, 2022 04:53PM

Depends on how many strokes you need to go pro.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.