Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 20, 2022 01:48PM

As we attempt to recover from the devastating effects of LDSism, formally known as Mormonism we sometimes lose sight of recovering and just blast away at the organization.
From time to time I would like to see someone post how they actually went about this recovery and perhaps the steps that they conciously took to achiev this.
I have been posing here for a long time and although I have to be devious in my approach I have been able to offset the effecfs of this religion by surreptitiously avoiding contact whenever possible. And also enjoying a rum and coke from time to time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2022 01:51PM by thedesertrat1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 20, 2022 02:21PM

Exmormon.org helped me.

I found it a couple of years after it was founded. It was a Godsend to me.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 20, 2022 02:28PM

. . . Never heard of it!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 20, 2022 02:42PM

You probably know it as exchurchofjesuschristoflatterdaysaints.org

Date: July 20, 2022 02:49PM

D’oh!

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 20, 2022 03:18PM

Recovering, ah yes.

While at BYU in the 80's I played lead guitar and sang in an "oldies" band. I recovered my Peavey Bandit 65 guitar amp with grey felt and it turned out great.....fully recovered!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 20, 2022 03:47PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While at BYU in the 80's I played lead guitar and
> sang in an "oldies" band.

I knew it! I always envisioned you playing Perry Como!

And I'll bet a youthful EOD was there in the audience, creeping on the GAs' daughters.

Date: July 20, 2022 03:50PM

Dudette, I’m class of ‘70! I was long gone from the Y when Bro. Spectrum rolled into Provo.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 20, 2022 03:57PM

As if you got through college in four years. . .

And, everyone and anyone, notice how EOD denies neither his fondness for Perry Como nor his hitting on GAs' daughters.

Always aiming high, Jesus was.

Date: July 22, 2022 12:20PM

Oldies to me were top 40 to him.

Date: July 20, 2022 03:51PM

Was the amp originally cursed with a skin of blackness?

Date: July 22, 2022 12:18PM

Yes it was. But because I was at BYU, it's skin turned several shades lighter with the new felt coving.

Date: July 22, 2022 05:29PM

SWK would be proud.

Posted by: Adam Warrior ( )
Date: July 22, 2022 05:06AM

One thing that has helped me is no contact and i mean zero and moving to a location where no one from your past can swing by and find you. If you accidently come a across a missionary on the street that is ok but other than that no contact. No going in their building, no watching anything to do with them on television. No pictures of any of it. If you find yourself thinking about it or reminiscing quickly think of something else. I know its extreme but necessary for a complete restart and forming a new identity outside of religion basically. Not easy by any means. Had to cut out all family plus religion myself it all had to go in my case.

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: July 22, 2022 07:10AM

I would recovered more fully and moved on completely long ago if either:

(a) Mormons has left me alone with their judgments and interfering in my life or

(b) speaking out publicly against the church

I didn’t do (b) because I was being kind towards those mentioned in (a).

The point is, if you’re in contact with mormons you’re in a no-win situation anyway, so you might as well do whatever helps you to heal. That will be different for everyone. For me…

Just talking about it helps. Sometimes talking about it too much doesn’t. Speaking up i think will help, but not if I’m being baited by mormons; it will be on my terms and in my own space. Rediscovering who I am through doing new things and meeting never-mormons has been the best thing. Community with ex-mormons is also good. Being validated after so much gaslighting is the holy grail. Good wine, dancing, music, films, comedy, culture, travel, being kind to myself, setting boundaries, establishing independence, have all led (and are leading) to a better life where joy can be experienced. Being grateful that I escaped is one thing I often forget.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: July 22, 2022 08:54AM

Left LDSinc officially in 2000: myself my wife and three pre-school children. My side of the family: myself and one sister “converted” Mormon as small children. Wife’s side of the family: 100% Peter and Molly Mormon right down the line.

1) First 3-5 years was pure hell, requiring absolutely no contact with family and a formal request for no contact from Ward and Stake and Missionaries

2) About 5 years of uncovering ‘forbidden’ church history. Early RfM was excellent for this, as well as a book from Grant Palmer

3) Mix with the world, allow experimentation with various thought and art forms, especially of the sort LDSinc disapprove of.

4) Finally (for me): recognizing that LDSinc is better understood as a Corporation than as a religion. Seeing this was the final death nail of any residual guilt etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.