Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 21, 2022 05:52PM

I guess he isn't showing enough loyalty to one of his cults.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 21, 2022 06:43PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 21, 2022 07:38PM

The Mormon cult has been careful not to endorse the Trump cult.

It must have taken Bowers a ton of painful effort to put his conscience ahead of the Peronista agenda, but he did it. I respect that. If both cults were in agreement, Bowers may not have had the integrity to do what he has done.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: July 21, 2022 07:10PM

Though her name isn't mentioned in the article, Kelli Ward, the current head of the Arizona GOP, is, I'm sure, behind this. It will be interesting to see if the Trump-backed candidates for U.S. senator and governor win their respective primaries in two weeks' time. The latest polls show both races to be neck-and-neck.

As for Rusty Bowers, it'll be interesting to see, if the GOP retains the state House after November, whether or not he will be House leader again (I haven't checked to see if he's termed out). And while I'm not impressed with his religion, I'm glad to see that he's trying to walk back the statement that he would vote for Trump again (if the race was to be between Trump and Biden).

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: July 24, 2022 09:32AM

Arizona is slowly becoming more educated, more liberal… these extremists are going.

The rich parts of Arizona are full of California rejects: people who made their money in California, realized they don’t like taxes late in their careers, retired out here in this horrible heat and then send their kids back to California because Arizona is 50th in education because we don’t put money in schools.

Date: July 24, 2022 10:27AM

I hope you are right. I thought the same thing about Idaho. It turns out that many of the Californians moving here to Idaho are conservative types that end up enabling the extremists.

Date: July 24, 2022 10:53AM

That’s sobering to read…

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: July 24, 2022 12:48PM

Arizona has a better chance at change than Idaho because 1) there are more registered minority voters here (mostly of Hispanic background); and 2) a greater percentage of the state's population lives in the Phoenix and Tucson metropolitan areas.

Date: July 24, 2022 07:51PM

This is very true.

Plus the GOP’s lazy incentive to get businesses to come here are inviting sociopaths escaping blue states and regulations: Elizabeth Holmes (awaiting sentencing) and Theranos from California; an Indian billionaire (in prison) from NJ who was peddling opiates; serial scammer and Mormon Trevor Milton (awaiting trial and hopefully imprisonment) who was raping/molesting underage females including a relative and pillaging his company Nikola; and, the Carvana felon scammer from NM who is taking out money as the stock price collapses.

Arizona is bringing in the worst people and the locals have noticed it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2022 07:54PM by newcomer.

Date: July 24, 2022 08:05PM

Lucky AZ!
I didn't know AZ was attracting such jewels like we are seeing moving to Texas and Idaho.

Date: July 26, 2022 12:39PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lucky AZ!
> I didn't know AZ was attracting such jewels like
> we are seeing moving to Texas and Idaho.

The Californians swear they like it out here. The exchanged the beach and ocean, wine country, and 70- and 80- degree weather in California for poverty, 115-degree temperature and bad schools in Arizona.

All you hear from them is how bad California is while their skin looks like leather from the AZ sun.

Date: July 26, 2022 12:48PM

blindguy Wrote:
> Arizona has a better chance at change than Idaho
> because 1) there are more registered minority
> voters here (mostly of Hispanic background); and
> 2) a greater percentage of the state's population
> lives in the Phoenix and Tucson metropolitan
> areas.

The Hispanics here are a non-factor and the candidates know it. All the commercials aren’t even dog whistles—they’re full blown racist.

I can’t imagine a party being this virulently anti-black in DC and Maryland (the richest state in the country. So much for it being a rat-infested Donny.)

It’s going to take a lot of white liberals and blacks to make a change in Arizona. (Blacks are a small group but we have more black mayors than Hispanic mayors in Arizona.)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 24, 2022 11:47AM

Many people who ‘live in AZ’ come to Sequim in the summer to avoid the heat.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 25, 2022 03:20AM

"Rumor has it that Trump picked Josh Hawley as his running mate."

Date: July 25, 2022 03:30AM

Well, someone's got to run and Trump sometimes has a hard time walking.

Date: July 25, 2022 01:10PM

I think primary elections are a waste of resources, their only purpose is to reinforce party loyalties.

In Washington state they’re somewhat ignored bc the top (2) candidates can identify with the same party (‘top two’ candidates are on the November ballots).

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 25, 2022 02:12PM

By the time they count WA State votes, the election is over.

Date: July 25, 2022 04:09PM

100% of elections are over when the counting begins…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2022 04:10PM by GNPE.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 25, 2022 05:46PM

I debated that after Maryland's recent primary, in which the Republicans ignored moderate candidates (who would have had a decent chance in November,) in favor of hard-right candidates who are far less likely to do well in a blue state.

Date: July 25, 2022 06:00PM

I hope that doesn't backfire in some unforeseen way!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 25, 2022 06:13PM

It won't for the gubernatorial race. Only moderate Republicans have a hope for that, and the current nominee is a Trump fan who thinks the last presidential election was stolen. That won't be attractive to moderate Democrats and Independents.

In lesser races, it may not matter as much.

Date: July 25, 2022 06:21PM

summer Wrote:
> . . . the current
> nominee is a Trump fan who thinks the last
> presidential election was stolen. . .

This is a tangential point, but I think we should stop using the word "think" or "believe" in that context. The truth is virtually none of the serious politicians in the United States "believe" that Trump won the 2020 election. From McCarthy to Stefanik to Graham and so on, they all know Biden won. Those people have reversed themselves for political reasons, not because they suddenly discovered new evidence that changed their minds but because it is in their interests to do so.

Their espousal of the Big Lie is a claim, an assertion, a talking point, a political stance, a prevarication, but it is not a sincere conviction, thought, or belief.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 25, 2022 08:11PM

Dems are bankrolling Republican extremist candidates in Primary races, hoping they’ll be easier to defeat than more centrist Conservatives in the general elections.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/27/1106859552/primary-illinois-colorado-republican-candidate-democrats-ads

A strategy that, hopefully, doesn’t backfire spectacularly.

Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: July 25, 2022 08:40PM

His censure was well deserved. Bowers has been way out of step with the voters...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 25, 2022 08:45PM

There is nothing pernicious about your statement, in that context...

But what do you think about your points of view being trampled when you're in the minority?

Date: July 25, 2022 08:46PM

Or your rights if you are in the majority of voters who elected Biden?

Posted by: Cactus Jim ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 02:39AM

He may be out of step with Arizoan voters overall but not the Mesa Mo-publicans in his district. His main issue has been to roll back those pernicious environmental regulations that cost his business buddies money. That is right down the line with his district. I admire the man for standing by his personal beliefs and his personal integrity. I wouldn't vote for him if you held a gun on me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.