Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 01:29PM

https://news.yahoo.com/news/195-house-republicans-voted-against-154820845.html

To be clear, we're not talking not your right to have access to birth control and contraceptives through your health insurance. No, it's just the freedom to use it at all. Clarence Thomas expressed his desire to come for the SCOTUS rulings protecting gay marriage, sodomy (which is oral or anal sex even when straight couples do it), and contraceptives too. For now those rulings are in place, and top of that some folks are assuring us that these matters are "settled," but they said that about Roe too. We are a half turn away from from losing the entire civil rights movement. What Trump, McConnell, and the Federalist Society did to the judiciary branch was EVIL. It was spiteful. It was vitriolic. It was petty. It was a naked power grab, the dispensation of justice be damned. These extremists who come to you claiming to have salvation from Wokeness for Western civilization in their hands are nothing but hordes of ignorant Vandals with contempt for liberty and the constitution and anybody who thinks it's ok to think for themselves. It was against people exactly like this that the author of the Declaration of Independence said, "I swear eternal hostility against every tyranny over the mind of man." Religion does not belong in the halls of power in this country. To say it does is unAmerican.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 01:42PM

It certainly seems to have damaged your country and, perhaps less importantly to Americans now but more importantly in the long run, it has trashed your image abroad. For a country which likes to see itself as a beacon of freedom, it makes the whole world wonder whether that championing of "liberty" was just a pose.

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 01:43PM

Religion does not belong in the halls of power in this country. To say it does is unAmerican.

Religion does not belong anywhere period. It is dangerous threat to democracy. Even tolerance of it must be eradicated from our society.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 02:10PM

That's the kind of talk that ensures there will be a civil war which for the one side will also be like a religious crusade and a conquering of the heathen. Also, you lose 70% of the side you imagine yourself to be on when you talk like that, because those people are still Christian, just with far more tolerable politics.

I appreciate more every day what a cultural accomplishment the enlightenment was, and how singular it was in history. Religion gets to rule the private domain as far as its powers of persuasion can carry it as long as it stays out of the public domain and uses no tangible force on the public mind. A wall of separation between government and conscience, and what's more -- the churches of America were, once upon a time and for a long time, completely patriotically on board with this arrangement. We need to conserve that secular pluralist peace.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 02:51PM

I agree, C-D, extreme positions of intolerance are not the answer. I don't like religions either, but this is not a binary black/white situation and the ONLY solution is to come to some sort of compromise.

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 04:20PM

So should have have compromised with Hitler? I am not Godwining here either because in 2022 being a Christian is the same as being a Nazi. I will not compromise with people calling for my extension.

There is 0 hope for any future as long as any Christians are allowed to spew their hate filled vile.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 04:24PM

Speaking of hate-filled bile...

Looks pretty Godwin to me.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 27, 2022 04:05PM

These things always seem to happen right when you are about to get laid.

Posted by: Elder Brother ( )
Date: July 27, 2022 04:29PM

I only skimmed through HR8373, so maybe I missed something.
What exactly would make anyone vote against this bill?

It seems to just say that you have a right to use contraception and you can't stop a doctor from prescribing them.
The only argument I can come up with is that the bill might be unnecessary. It certainly doesn't seem objectionable.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 27, 2022 05:44PM

I think it's political point-scoring.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: July 27, 2022 06:14PM

in b 4 ~

OPie's mom started using contraceptives ~

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.