Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 30, 2022 06:33PM

The judge has approved some of it but has some issue with the $250 Million the mormon church is putting into the fund.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50449201/us-judge-rejects-parts-of-boy-scouts-27-billion-sex-abuse-deal

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 30, 2022 07:55PM

I wonder what the judge's problem was with the Mormon part of the settlement. Perhaps she thought that the Mormon church wasn't paying enough money.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 30, 2022 08:36PM

Round it up to $100billion
I hope this abusive CULT has to deplete their $100billion Slush Fund for a big welcome home party for Jesus.
I hope they have to declare bankruptcy, like the BSA and many RC churches have had to do over abuse!

80,000 victims of Mormon Boy Scout Abuse, stood to get $3,500-millions, depending upon the severity of the abuse. Make it $1million-$1billion, depending upon the severity.
Many of my Mormon friends growing up were in that 80,000 who were abused by LDS Scout leaders, and Zina know of far too many pedophiles who are Mormon still and git fight in with the singing praises of a serial rapist and all!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2022 08:37PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: July 30, 2022 09:05PM

I had a leader who was way to eager to do his assignment with young boys, use to come looking for me everyday during the summer. (He was unemployed as well) and did end up going to part time jail, sex abuse wasn't as big a deal in the 90s as today for some reason? The abuse can be really bad though, I hope the church realizes it. And apologizes for telling us kids that they are inspired and called of gawd, like I heard every frikin week.

Posted by: Roger T. ( )
Date: August 03, 2022 04:02AM

Interesting. Is the reason for rejectment that 250 M is not enough from mormon church?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: August 03, 2022 04:32AM

It appears to be related to the judge's objection to a term in the settlement relating to a liability release for the church about possible non-scouting related abuse claims. I admit I don't understand why such a provision would have been included in the first place since the case was only about scouting abuse.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2022/08/01/boy-scout-bankruptcy-hits-snag/

"One part Judge Laurie Selber Silverstein refused to approve was $250 million coming from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to help settle claims alleging child sexual abuse by Scout leaders."

"In a ruling that could have a significant impact on the case, Silverstein refused to approve the settlement involving the LDS Church. The judge noted that the settlement includes liability releases for non-Scouting abuse claims and “stretches third-party releases too far.”

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: August 03, 2022 04:43AM

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/boy-scouts-ruling-threatens-250-201107713.html

" The Boy Scouts of America may be forced to cut $250 million from its proposal to set up a trust fund for sex abuse victims after a judge rejected a key provision of a deal the youth group signed with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

"The judge did not give final approval to the proposed trust fund plan, however, instead she rejected a number of key provisions. One example is Silverstein’s refusal to grant the church a so-called third party release that would have given the church broad legal protections from all sex abuse claims, not just those involving the Boy Scouts.

“The TCJC settlement stretches third party releases too far,” Silverstein wrote. Such releases have been attacked by members of the US Congress and advocates for sex abuse victims and people harmed by addictive prescriptions drugs."

Posted by: Roger T. ( )
Date: August 03, 2022 12:42PM

Thanks!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 03, 2022 05:21AM

Another reason the church dumped scouting and the young men only go to camp once a year. It’s not just the LDS church where this has been a problem. But when you have a volunteer, untrained clergy at the stake level things are just chaotic. The church puts an untrained member of the congregation in as bishop and they expect him to run things well. He’s desperate to find anyone who willing to accept a scoutmaster calling. There’s no power of discernment. Bishops have their own families and careers to worry about. They have limited time to spend on the church stuff. It’s the worst calling in the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.