Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 05:52PM

Please fill me in if any of you went to the second hour class today. Apparently (per exmo reddit) all bishops everywhere were charged with declaring that missions for every young man are required. No exceptions. No questions. No personal decisions.

Can't they go for more than two weeks without doing something stupid?

I can't wait for General Conference. Can they be any more obtuse?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2022 01:13PM by slskipper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 06:04PM

Maybe they should lower the mission age from 18 to 12 or even eight. That way they can get the kids before they've developed the capacity for independent thought.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: August 01, 2022 01:42AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That way they can get the kids
> before they've developed the capacity for
> independent thought.
===============================
Good one.
Seems they already do, male brain does not develop fully until 25 or 26 (women seem to be "fully there" a few years earlier)

(Actuarially correlates with eligibility to rent from Hertz and Avis, oddly enough)

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 06:11PM

Great way to get more and more young adults to say screw this.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 06:41PM

Sample thread:

https://old.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/wcskjw/help_my_brain_is_going_to_explode/

I like the poster who stated in the meeting that none of the first presidency served missions.

ETA: If you want to torture yourself, this was today's lesson:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/share/fifthSundayDiscussion?lang=eng

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2022 07:42PM by summer.

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 08:13PM

Missions my be good, but the focus needs to be on what would benefit everyone, this preoccupation with temple covenants and temples will solve all your problems just isn't what people actually need. I wish nelson would compromise and meet the diverse population half way. Change the subject to something like personal development, investment skills, or helping the poor and Confused.

Date: July 31, 2022 08:16PM

Maca Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish nelson would compromise and meet the
> diverse population half way.

I'm sure you really meant that.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 08:36PM

Clearly the church is struggling to get young men to serve missions. This is actually good news. Youth are seeing the church for what it is in even greater numbers. However, the increased pressure that young men will receive from parents and the church could make life a living hell for them.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 10:44PM

The beatings will continue until morale improves

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 09:10PM

Seems like desperation for LDS Inc. to try and keep the youth from leaving the Mormon church. Kind of reminds me of the last days of WWII when Hitler knew he was losing and sent boys (under 18 years old) off to war to fight. He didn't give a fu_k about the boys - he just used them in a last-ditch effort to hold on.

Covid is still a health threat. It's not going away. Why send young adults far from home to places where people still are not vaccinated and where healthcare is inadequate? Even with good healthcare there's still a threat of long-term health complications from Covid. This is NOT the time to send young missionaries all over the globe. I have a feeling this winter will see a surge in covid cases. I pity the missionaries far from home who get sick.

Date: July 31, 2022 09:23PM

In most places missionary work is now conducted via the internet, with occasional service projects and rare teaching engagements. It's must less interactive than in the past since interest in strange cults has waned considerably over the last few decades.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 09:56PM

I think some credit should go to the parents for listening to their child's wishes. Clearly, more of them are telling their kids that it's ok if they don't want to serve. And this is frustrating the top leaders!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 01, 2022 12:25AM

How many parents, some who may still be suffering from their own missions, are saying if they can keep their kids from the hell of a mission the need to.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 11:23PM

Notice the timing.

They obviously are hurting for numbers. Summer is the usual rush for those submitting mission applications.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 01, 2022 10:21AM

I have a relative who just turned 19. There is no discussion or inclination about a mission. He is active afaik but he works a full time job now. I hope he isn't getting pressured, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was. If this is the direction things are going, the church will have more young people ditching it all. Missions are so stale and outdated, almost quaint. I see the missionaries riding around on their bikes, acting like they are bored out of their skulls and with no destination in mind.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.