Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heltz ( )
Date: October 31, 2010 02:17PM

I posted this on another message list, but I am proud of my community and it's Halloween activities so I wanted to take a moment to brag.

I live in the midwest, an area that was overrun with Mormons in the late eighties.

I'm glad I don't live out west.

We have Safe Halloween where the elementary kids go to the high school and trick or treat from classroom to classroom with high school teams and clubs passing out candy and allowing the kids to play simple carnival games

Then on Saturday evening many churches have massive Trunk or Treats. I drove past one church that had at least 100 cars in a field near the church along with carnival games and rides and booths manned by the police and firefighters.

And now it is officially Halloween and by 5 pm I will be home and ready to hand out candy to hundreds of ghouls and goblins what will ring my doorbell.

What a great holiday.

Happy Halloween everyone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: badkid ( )
Date: October 31, 2010 02:55PM

Posted by: Observer ( )
Date: October 31, 2010 10:16PM

Hardly any of the households are giving out candy these days. When I was a kid here, almost every house did. Now it's maybe one in five. Some neighborhoods have better participation than others, of course. Really disappointing.

Posted by: transplant in texas ( )
Date: November 01, 2010 02:48AM

it makes people like our family who decorate our yard to the nines, all dress up, play great spooky music, give out candy...makes us sound like degenerate pervs or something.

not everyone is out to get you. numbers wise, you are far more likely to get poisoned by a bag of store bought candy that was bad from the factory than get harmed intentionally by someone giving out treats. there was one guy many years ago who poisoned *his own child* and perhaps a couple later but really that's it.

it's actually a great way to know your neighbors, and have a fun evening together with your family. i have no prob with trunk or treat or other halloween carnivals but billing them as alternatives...seriously we are just a nice regular boring family who enjoys Halloween..

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: November 02, 2010 09:01PM

Glad to hear you have one that makes you proud. Trunk or treat Saturday AND trick or treat on Sunday. Sounds like a weekend long sugar high!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.