Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: caruthers ( )
Date: August 05, 2022 02:01PM

If a parent stops making payments for missionary son will they send him home

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 05, 2022 02:06PM

That would be interesting to know!!
Keep us posted

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 05, 2022 02:20PM

So if the faithful missionary has ‘sinning’ parents, ghawd punishes the faithful missionary?

Good to know!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 05, 2022 02:27PM

There's still time to withdraw your papers!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 05, 2022 02:49PM

Would my original application still be on file?

If not, would they have made a microfilm copy?

Is there an established method for viewing or getting a copy of my application?

And it just occurred to… What if a faithful member forgets his/her/Dave’s temple name, and dies? Does dementia end when you die, or are there penalties to suffer?

Date: August 05, 2022 03:29PM

Dave should follow your example and have his temple name tattooed across the small of his back so it's easy to find in a pinch.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 06, 2022 04:07AM

I never made it high enough in rank to get a temple name. I'm only a priest.

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: August 05, 2022 03:00PM

It would depend on why they stopped paying and other factors. If the missionary wanted to stay out they would find someone in the local ward to pay for it.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: August 05, 2022 03:29PM

This is correct, they want to keep missionaries in the field so they look for members willing to pay.

After my divorce my son wanted to go on a mission, so since I was a divorced priesthood holder, nobody wanted to associate with me, so they got several families in the ward to pony up. However, to go on a tangent, I overruled the bishop by confronting him on the stand at his farewell and reminded the bishop and others that I was the boys father, and never go behind my back ever again. The look on the bishops face was classic. My boy just smiled, knowing that's his Dad.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 05, 2022 06:16PM

That is a very nice thing for a son to know about his father.

Sounds like his farewell was one to remember!

Date: August 05, 2022 06:20PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is a very nice thing for a son to know about
> his father.

Agreed, in spades.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 05, 2022 06:55PM

Not to even mention the guts it took to confront the bishop in the middle of the program.

I sure wish someone had done that during the talk before my dunk tank chapel experience. When things were going horribly wrong, such as the bishop screaming at my friend who was going to baptize me (in one of the offices before the service started in the chapel) or my friend stumbling through a painful extemporaneous speech because the bishop had forbidden him from presenting his prepared talk (and only God knows why), why didn't one of us, or someone, jump up and say what the actual *&&*. The whole thing was totally mortifying, to all of us.

What bugs me about injustices such as that (and so many other examples in religious communities all over this globe) is that for once I'd like to see someone stand up and say up yours, you big fat bully idiot. Or words to that exact effect.

My friend and I were the ones to feel humiliated and ashamed. As mentioned (by me) in another thread recently, shame is often soul-destroying. And misguided religious zealots are the ones who should feel ashamed, not those under their power who they choose to humiliate.

To see my strong, capable, well-meaning, talented friend looking shame-faced and reduced to essentially babbling a few disjointed words because he couldn't use his own prepared speech and due to his undoubted shock and humiliation (due to the bishop's overactive imagination and misguided gutter mind) was truly awful.

I felt like a robot afterwards, going through the programmed motions, and have no clue why I let myself be dragged (figuratively) through the rest of the program and down into the font (twice, thankyouverymuch) because one of the missionaries thought my dress had floated up out of the water. I nearly said NO I ain't doing it twice but eventually succumbed to the pressure in front of the crowd and just to put an end to our misery so we could get the hell out of there.

I still can't believe I could let myself be compelled like that to do something I regretted before it even happened.

Sorry for the tangent. Sometimes something triggers that memory and it spills out of me all over again.

I wish I could only remember the moment when an elderly man I didn't know (maybe one of the Three Nephites?!) approached me in the hallway before the meeting started and said "You look like an angel" (who doesn't in a long white gown?!). Instead I only remember the bishop yelling and then scowling and generally spoiling the entire party.

I think it's the mention of shame. My friend and I both felt deeply ashamed. For what I have no clue. We didn't do anything wrong. It was just the bishop's accusation of wrongdoing that caused all the upset. We had absolutely nothing to feel ashamed about. Nevertheless, his attitude and actions caused us to do so. Shame seeps deep. Deeper than a nice old man giving a stranger a compliment. Deeper than anything else positive that should easily cover it over and eventually hopefully eradicate it.

I love to think of a bishop who has it coming being embarrassed in front of the ward. If they deserve it, they deserve it.

PS: Oh yes. I just remembered the other parts. (1) The bishop told my friend he could only talk about scriptures and nothing else during the speech before the gaggle at the font. (2) Eventually, my friend told me, weeks later, that "it was all your fault".

All righty then. Thank you very much. I wasn't even sure what "it" was.

It took me a while to finally walk away because once I was baptized I felt obligated to continue attending. Like, you made a commitment so you have to honour it. Eventually, my mind returned to me and I left. For which I am most grateful.

And it's been way more fun schmoozing with RfMers than any day at all that I spent in the Mormon church.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2022 07:17PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 05, 2022 03:27PM

The mission notifies the missionary that their parent/sponsor has missed a missionary supplemental payment. The missionary is charged to call home, contact the bishop and ward clerk.

Unless the missionary is a liability, the mission office will contact the stake to ensure that LDS Corp is paid. Keep in mind that there is no such thing as Free Money- the church wants its monthly check.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 05, 2022 04:58PM

my ex was paying for our son's mission until he skipped the last month or two before the end of his mission. I found out later that the ward paid those. I don't know Whether specific members chipped in or what but I only found out about it after the fact. I was never contacted by anyone in the bishopric about it.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: August 05, 2022 06:26PM

When I was a finance clerk eons ago, when funding was short, the Bishop would ask the congregation to donate to the missionary fund. Since we had several wealthy people in the ward, the slack was always covered.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 06, 2022 04:41AM

My husband's former stepson fell away from the church for awhile and decided he wanted to go back and do a mission. He was turned down because he had some sinful dalliances with MJ. So, instead of repenting, he left the church and never went back.

My husband's daughter seems to be the only one left who still believes in Mormonism and goes to church. She's also the only one who did a mission. Her mission was paid for by the church, since her mother has pretty much abandoned the church. I now watch her bizarre antics on Twitter, where she's constantly trying to grift money and tweeting celebrities.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.