Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: August 11, 2022 12:55PM

I made it through the most tumultuous time of my life, socially and emotionally, with this board there to hear me vent my drama and give me valuable feedback. That means a lot to me. I'm glad there is a place with an as-long-as-it-takes, forum-style format with regular people who understand Mormon b.s., a place where Mormons who had it all bottom out can come and get a reality check and some positive reinforcement too. The church in my life would have kept a thumb on me forever by making me afraid to reach out to the people best suited to give me relevant advice. I'm glad the board is here for others like me... if and when they realize that they want it.

Thank you for letting me air so much of my baggage, even if it was TMI. I think I'm getting close to 90% recovered from Mormonism, and I'm looking forward to the 95% I was told is possible -- and I'm also grateful to know that the last 5% going unconquered is normal. I feel human these days akin to other human beings, and I have a sense of myself in the cosmos I never enjoyed as a Mormon which I always wanted but couldn't articulate what it was I was chasing. Now I can.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 11, 2022 03:51PM

Certainly one of the most intense journeys out I have seen. Out of the frying pan and into the fire you seemed to be--fighting for a new perspective like crazy.

My take anyway. I'm happy to read that you feel the way you do now. Good for you.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 11, 2022 09:23PM

Thanks for your thoughts and thanktimony. I left a gazillion years ago, pre-internet, and living in Provo. I was terrified and did not know the story of anybody else who had left. A couple of years later the story of Sonja Johnson's excommunication was the first detailed story I had heard. It was a great relief to know I wasn't alone in what I experienced.

I think one of the main purposes of places like RFM is for new people who are leaving or contemplating leaving Mormonism. It may look near impossible for them, and we all are proof that it is indeed possible to leave. It may not be easy, it rarely goes smoothly, but it is definitely possible, and there are a lot of people who decided it was worth the trouble.

That's a valuable message to hear.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 12, 2022 04:58PM

" . . . and we all are proof that it is indeed possible to leave..."

And---thrive! Which---- surprise! ---- is easier without that church.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 13, 2022 01:23AM

It's been a pleasure to watch you find your feet outside of the Mormon sphere. Having taken a long time myself to get over my Catholic upbringing (which is far less intense than Mormonism,) I can tell you that age and emotional distance helps as well. You can get to 100%.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.