Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: August 11, 2022 10:00PM

https://youtu.be/T2XqxJjl1HU

It is both the oldest galaxy and billions of years younger than any galaxy ever detected before. (220 mil yrs after Big Bang) so it shouldn’t exist that early in the formation of the universe, according to every theory of cosmology.
But it does, or did, 13.6 billion yrs ago.
But we need better lenses and filters to tell for sure.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: August 12, 2022 10:46AM

It hasnt been up there a month yet, and alread they want a bigger one.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 12, 2022 04:17PM

Who is this "they" you refer to? And what's wrong with wanting a bigger one? How long did planning on this one take - 30 years?

The folks at CERN keep wanting a better atom smasher too, and they keep shutting it down for multi-year overhauls more often than LDS Inc overhauls temples.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 12, 2022 04:10PM

Watch the video if you want to find out what this story is really about. the reason it is referred to as Schrodinger's Galaxy is that there are at least two possible explanations for the observed data. The galaxy could be older than thought possible in existing theories of galaxy evolution, or it could be observational error, with several possible causes, known or unknown ("there are known unknowns, and unknown unknowns" - Donald Rumsfeld)

El Gato, in normal breathless fashion, only mentions the first possibility, and presents it as fact, rather than speculation. The articles are not yet peer-reviewed, and only represent a single data point so far.

The actual video is more balanced and less sensationalistic. It is just a few minutes long, and I thought it worth my time. It sounds like it is done by NASA, but I noticed that the narration pronounces Z as "zed", not the American "zee". UnAmerican, I tell you! I do suspect most of the English-speaking world does pronounce it "zed"

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 12, 2022 05:10PM

I'm fairly certain that nothing of any consequence has happened to this Ford Galaxie 500 in the last 13.6 billion years.

Although it would be cool if in another eight billion years we'll be able to watch as a Dyson Sphere slowly blots it from our vision.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 13, 2022 06:34AM

Does this Ford Galaxie 500 happen to have carpet on the dashboard?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.