Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scg73 ( )
Date: August 13, 2022 10:35AM

I’ve been thinking about the dress standards the LDS Church adheres to; like for men wear a suit or at least a dress shirts & tie. So doesn’t that mean if you’re NOT a white collar worker in your day job, you’re cosplaying as a businessman?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 13, 2022 10:48AM

Goes back to the agricultural society when farmers, wives, and kiddos would Feel Spechul wearing their ‘Sunday Best’ once a week…

Pretty much the same idea for other blue-collar workers, miners, railway crews, teamsters, mill workers, carpenters, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2022 10:51AM by GNPE.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 13, 2022 10:50AM

LOL. Right.

If the church "uniform" is a business uniform, the church is a business, right? Funny how so many religions have special costumes and look like they got lost in time.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 13, 2022 10:55AM

What's with the baker's hat?

Date: August 13, 2022 11:19AM

The baker's hat is symbolic of the required refreshments for most activities.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 13, 2022 11:31AM

I think the idea has always been to wear your best clothing to a house of worship. I remember a very long time ago feeling a sense of shock at driving by a Catholic church on a Sunday morning. I saw a woman exiting who was wearing a sun dress. Many churches are now, "come as you are."

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: August 13, 2022 12:05PM

Last stake conference I attended the stake president preached that for men wearing a white shirt and tie was an outward statement that members were willing to comply with whatever the church required of them.
Did I mention it was the last stake conference I ever attended?

Date: August 13, 2022 12:33PM

Uggggh!

I guess the members wouldn't realize they already crossed that bridge when the church told them what underwear they are supposed to wear.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 13, 2022 01:08PM

On sundays I see people going to church dressed in totally casual attire.
A lot of them are actually smiling.
I guess other religions don't care what a person wears.

Sometimes I will take a black handicapped lady to church at one of those "black churches"and the "pastor " comes out to meet and greet her in his two thousand dollar suit and always invites me in. I would be the only white person there. I guess no one would mind me being there. They usually have a band playing there and lots of fun singing. I can see why she likes to go there.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: August 13, 2022 05:27PM

I became a member of the Priesthood of Aaron at the very beginning of the 1970s. At that time we could pass bread and water cup trays without any kind of clothing inspection. I remember wearing brightly colored shirts and pants and no tie, as the 70s evolved we started hearing we should wear a tie. This often meant borrowing a tie from someone who was not passing or blessing. In the middle 70s ridiculous bow ties became fashionable and in Utah ultra-ridiculous large velvet bow ties became the norm. When we started to be pressured to wear ties to bless the sacrament we would all borrow the biggest most ridiculous bow ties we could find. When we were scolded for that we all wore western bolo-ties the next week. At that point the bishop told us to just wear clean shirts please. A year or two later I was on a mission wearing a Dark Blue Swedish Knit ZCMI suit and white shirt and red tie every single day of my pathetic life.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 13, 2022 07:48PM

Photos of Conference 1972 & Conference 2018

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/a6vu28/conformity_bullshit_screenshots_i_took_from_two/

Pink! From 1961 till I left on my mission in 1965, I often sat up on the stand wearing a soft pink dress shirt.  So what if the men curled their lips and growled?  The women were blowing me kisses!

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: August 13, 2022 11:45PM

I love that 1972 photo, it reminds me that I am not crazy and there was once a time when the good and faithful did not have to wear white shirts, just like Jesus did. If you look carefully there are a few free spirits with no ties too. No permanents or Afros yet. In 1972 my dad ditched his USAF flat top and grew his hair out with side burns. The times they were a changing.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 13, 2022 08:20PM

You see, Hedning? You mention bolo ties and EOD suddenly appears.

Please don't mention goats.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 13, 2022 10:29PM

Or sock garters.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 14, 2022 01:25AM

I remember when ties were optional. Any clean clothing was acceptable.

Lots of men would wear jeans to church because they had to irrigate after church.

The local sheriff wore his uniform and gun.

On reserve weekend some folks wore military uniforms.

In the 70s we wore turtle necks with a suit jacket.

Also wore my share of bolo ties.

The church used to teach about the Zoramites and how they refused access to the church to those that only had " coarse clothing" (Alma 32:2-3)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 13, 2022 09:01PM

Dress code at Seattle Mennonite: wear something

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2022 09:01PM by GNPE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.