Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: squirrley ( )
Date: August 16, 2022 09:50PM

We have been out for many years, but a few years ago we moved. Little did I know that a friend lived up the street. He knows we have not attended or been to any ward funtions the entire time we have been there. Recently my frind was made elders quorum pres. Next thing I know there he is with the bishop at our door.

Here my freind knows we don't care about being part of the ward or LDS Inc. We like community and I'm happy to be his friend forever (I like the guy), but as the newly annointed EQP he feels pressure to come over and bug me. This puts are friendship at risk - but they dont care because they never get it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: August 16, 2022 10:45PM

Mormanism hates uneasyness, it makes them really uncomfortable.

Calmly and without expression, I have told Bishops to bite me, walked out of a Stake Presidents office telling him I was hungry and going to get a sandwich. I told my Mission President to go to hell one day on the phone and then hung up after I reminded him that he now had a problem elder.

If you are nice, they will be back. If you are mean or angry, then they blame you, but if you make them squirm, they will not bother you.

You should have looked at your friend and asked why he was doing this to you, why did he not value your friendship, and was he trying to distroy your friendship. Then looked at both of them and say something to the effect of, I will let this one go and then shut the door. And never bring the subject up to your friend again. All the time never raising or lowering your voice, just staying calm, like water off a ducks back.

I promise, they will never do that again.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 16, 2022 11:31PM

They just can't help it. They feel all guilty if they are not trying to do missionary crap to the point they ruin the chance for true friendships.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 10:43AM

I don't know that I'm one to speak, but the notion of "True Friendship", it seems to me, can't be defined until the "True Friend" is gone.

Only then, when 'do overs' are no longer possible, can you make a full measurement.

I suspect that those of us who have lived long enough to have death take those whom we loved having in our lives may concede that any "True Friendships" we had were slightly illusory, and that forgive & forget was a prime ingredient.  Too bad mormon ghawd was one who didn't always make the cut.

And even being a "True Friend" to the person you see in the mirror is likely a real challenge, so it's not like being a "True Friend" is all that easy.  If you aren't doing what's 'best' for yourself, doesn't that say something crucial?

There are Givers and there are Takers and we've all practiced both roles.  'Taking' requires so much less effort, once we've learned to justify ourselves.

But, yeah, mormons are lousy friends because they think ghawd is watching and judging, but apparently it only counts when other mormons are watching, or might be watching.  After all, only family matters; the gospel plan has us only being with family for the rest of eternity.  Ghastly!!

I'm happy being with and knowing like-minded people.  So thanks.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 10:35AM

Dodging inconvenient truths is the name of the game now.

It was all so much easier when the Mayan and Aztec ruins were still Lamanite and Nephite temples. Ha ha and ha. What a difference a day makes.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 11:42AM

We have 400 members on the rolls with 80 average attending. They don't assign ministers if you don't attend.
We had one guy who they visited for some reason and found he had been dead 20 years!
I keep hearing stories of harassment but it doesn't happen that way in the mormon church I attend.

Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 06:10PM

This is the unconditional love/obligatory follow a commandment process which makes the TBM's nothing more than drones. A shell of a corpse with a hollow center only following orders from on high. As a matter of fact, everything they do is to fit in the sweet spot perfectly of the teachings or leadership of the church. Empty headed superstitious dip shits! Jedi mind tricked freaks.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: August 19, 2022 04:18PM

There Is No Friendship.

It's the sinking ship...
Abandon ship!

Tell him where the great ships dock!
Wherever they want. Right here, right now.

Mormons have a hard time being present...
They are always thinking of doing things, and doing things that aren't important, or even relevant or useful.

Mormons are always trying to get something out of stuff, and a call to church takes a back seat to the call of the wild! To reality. To honesty. To equality & fairness... To LOVE, no matter what

I live while I can.
Without even thinking

Free
Me

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: August 20, 2022 07:58PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 21, 2022 01:50AM

I would be honest with him -- "Look, I like you a lot, and I enjoy our friendship. But I don't ever want any visits pushing me to go back to church. If for some reason my wife and I wanted to go, we know how to find the church. We know we would be welcome. We simply have no desire to go. Kindly knock off the official church visits. If you want to visit as a genuine friend, that would always be welcome."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 21, 2022 03:19AM

When you're in any kind of a relationship with a TBM, it's a three party relationship, and you know whom the TBM feels is the more important, between you and the church.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 21, 2022 12:22PM

Once when I couldn’t locate a person on my h.teaching list, I tried to learn where (he) had moved to, even felt guilty bc I couldn’t..

Sheesh!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.