Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: perditious1 ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 08:11PM

ZZ top @ salt palace 1975

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 08:33PM

Our neighbor (mother) loved the Osmonds. I'm sure she somehow met them during her life. She was truly crazy I think. But I was in jr. high and she got tickets for her and her kids and my sisters and I to go to an Osmond concert at the Salt Palace. I don't really remember much about it.

The next concert I went to was many years later. I believe I was 21. I went to see Billy Joel. I've seen him four or five times. One of my favorites. I was actually just thinking about concerts I've been to as I saw that Josh Groban had played at Red Rocks in Colorado recently. I did get to go to a concert there once.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 08:39PM

The Association @ University of Idaho 1967

Almost?? The Beatles @ Cow Palace, San Francisco 1964. TBM older sister would not consider letting her 15 year old younger sister get anywhere near them.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 08:48PM

perditious1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ZZ top @ salt palace 1975

Did they help you find your car keys?

Posted by: perditious1 ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 11:44PM

didn't drive that night, purple microdot

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 11:54PM

Hah!

I guess being a New Order Mormon was more fun back then.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 09:10PM

Peter, Paul & Mary, at NSU (Nevada Southern University), precursor to UNLV, in 1963.  Of course, I had to sit in the Lamanite section...

But in high school, after the junior prom, Rayetta and I went to the midnight show at one of the strip hotels, but I don't remember which one, or what we saw: 1961.

Then after Senior Prom, Christine and I saw Steve Lawrence & Edie Gorme at the Sands.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 10:06PM

Spirit 1969 Santa Monica Civic. I was 10 years of age

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 10:32PM

Morrison wouldn't stop playing and they turned the lights out, but everyone stayed. So exciting. The Doors, for me at least, sure didn't age well. Strange Days is the only song I still like.

Posted by: Lumberjack ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 11:50PM

Blood, Sweat, and Tears in 1974. Unfortunately, David Clayton Thomas (the lead singer) was not with them anymore. It didn't really sound like BS & T without him.
In 1975 I could have easily gone to a performance by a group I'd never heard of: Fleetwood Mac. This was the real FM with Stevie and Lindsay, but I didn't go. Still kicking myself for that one.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 01:23AM

Tal's dad.
Salt Palace.
Horrible festival seating.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 01:38AM

James Taylor in 1990.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 01:45AM

9th grade: Utah Symphony

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 02:31AM

That shall not stand !

6th grade Seattle Symphony.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: August 19, 2022 11:56AM

5th grade, Minnesota (the Minneapolis) Orchestra.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 02:09AM

Doobie Brothers 1980.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 01:19PM

I saw the Doobie Brothers in the early 80's. It was at Six Flags in Atlanta. Good show. It was supposed to be their farewell tour, but they've toured quite a bit since...

Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 02:28AM

Anki Bagger.

Late 80s.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 03:01AM

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band, Royal Albert Hall, London, 1971 ! I was 11, my brother 13 - and my dad kindly accompanied us!

Date: August 18, 2022 08:06AM

My dad took me to a Chet Atkins show when I was a kid. Early 70’s in Columbus, Ohio.

First by choice: Black Sabbath in Germany in ‘78. The opening act, Van Halen, blew them away.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 08:09AM

Up With People, Tucson, 1976. The dorm mother for the little blind boys' dorm at the state school for the deaf and blind got the tickets.

Of the more famous names, John Denver, ASU Activity Center, 1986. Extra tickets from a charity supporting blind children in the Phoenix area.

And, as a subbranch to this thread, the first African-American (I love older R&B) I saw in concert came in the 1990s (I don't remember the year) when Natalie Cole played the Celebrity Theater. She was pretty good. And I got to see (obviously a figurative term for me) Stevie Wonder in 1992 when he performed on the day then-Arizona Governor Fife Symington made Martin Luther King Day an official state holiday, reversing the decision of his Latter Day Saint predecessor, Evan Meekam (hope I spelled his name correctly).

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 10:00AM

Jimi Hendrix at the Los Angeles Forum was my first real concert not at BYU. I saw Neil Diamond at BYU.

Date: August 18, 2022 10:23AM

Date: August 18, 2022 10:43AM

Hendrix must have been 1970. I was around 17 then. It was a first date with a very nice guy. I told my parents we were going to a concert, which they assumed meant an orchestra or something. They would never have allowed me to go to Hendrix if they knew. A lot of people at the concert were lighting up weed. Being all Mormon, I was appalled and acted all uncomfortable and righteous. I can't imagine why that guy never asked me out again!

I don't remember when the Neil Diamond one was at BYU. Everything is a blur. It must have been mid 70s. All I remember is people being outraged over his tight leather pants.

Date: August 18, 2022 11:55AM

I just remembered that James Taylor came with his guitar to my elementary school to sing to us kids in the auditorium. I don't remember what grade I was in. This was in S. Cal in the Valley.

He was a nobody back then. Most of the kids, including me, were bored, giggling and talking to each other.
That has to be my earliest "concert."

Posted by: carthagegrey ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 01:02PM

dagney, could it have been early february 1976, did he tear up a letter of someone complaining of his long hair? and his black drummer got a embarrassing long ovation for his solo? i was there too!

Date: August 18, 2022 02:17PM

I remember that! LOL. He was too wild for BYU.
I think I attended an earlier one though.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 07:23PM

I had a free ticket and stayed for about 30 minutes. A memorable weekend in my life for much different reasons.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 11:32AM

I saw Neil Diamond in the late 1990s. He wasn't a hard rocker, but he sure put a lot of himself into the performance. Now I wonder if Mr. Diamond wanted to hold a concert today at BYU if that school would allow a very liberal Jewish man to perform there.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 12:08PM

"Hot August Night" is a great album.

As the years go by, more and more people claim to have been there! I may eventually decide I was there, too!

Date: August 18, 2022 01:21PM

I would love to have seen Hendrix live! I was only a child then, and my parents probably would have been mortified.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 10:17AM

Smothers Brothers, about 1966, Circle Star theater in San Carlos, CA

Posted by: Brother Bacon Sandwich ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 10:57AM

Around 1967, because I was taking violin lessons, my dad took me to see Yehudi Menuhin at ASU's Gammage Auditorium. I would have been around 8 yrs old.

My uncle took me to my first rock concert around 1971. Grand Funk Railroad at Big Surf in Tempe.

Date: August 18, 2022 01:23PM

Grand Funk Railroad was a great American Band! (pun intended) ;)

I saw Yehudi Menuhin in London (96?) at the Royal something or other theater, with the Royal something or other symphony. It was a nice performance (sorry, I don't recall the details).

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 11:10AM

Paul McCartney and Wings, Seattle King Dome, June 1976 (last day of school 9th grade)

My friends and I bought 300 level tickets (I think they were about $10) nose bleed section, and some other friends had 100 level tickets but wanted to trade with us so they could sit with other friends that had 300 level tickets.

Great show, sat for the first half, went down to the floor and got close up for the second half.

You can buy that show on DVD, I have a copy.

Date: August 18, 2022 07:27PM

He had a fantastic band for that tour. The level of playing for many of the songs is better than original recordings done just by Paul.

Posted by: pearlyeverlasting ( )
Date: August 21, 2022 01:56AM

I was at that concert.
It was a miserable time for me. I was with a guy that was my ex-fiancee. He begged me to go. I had a bad cold, I was just over him and his stupid shit.

I went and forced myself to suffer through it. I thought Paul's voice sounded cooked.
I'd seen the Beatles in Portland when I was in 8th grade. Much more exciting. That was my first concert, about 1967ish

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 11:21AM

John Denver with Helen Reddy opening at BYU. I forget which hall but I remember they wouldn't let her sing her hit "I Don't Know How to Love Him" from Jesus Christ Superstar.

Best concert EVER: Bette Midler at the Greek September 17, 1979 when besides her other outrageousness surprised us with the Mermaids in wheel chairs.

A blurb on the show:

But Monday night we also got Bette the clown, Bette the impressionist, Bette the chanteuse, Bette the mine, Bette the rock star and other Bettes too fleeting to pin down. At times it wasn’t so much a revue as a prospectus. Here’s one performer who is never going to be accused of giving us the same old thing.

And . . , she was ours. Some of you will know what I mean.

As for Bette, I wonder how much of what she used to do and say could be done in today's Correctness Police State.

Posted by: Healed ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 11:29AM

Herman Hermits at lagoon - 1967

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 01:24PM

I forgot about Lagoon. That was great. As a teen in the sixties I saw Paul Revere and the Raiders and Bobby Vee but I don't remember which one first. Unfortunately I do remember I wore a Nehru jacket and medallion to one of those with my blonde Beatle cut.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 05:57PM

Healed Wrote:
> Herman Hermits at lagoon - 1967

Herman Hermits at Lagoon - 1968

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 12:47PM

Kansas - mid 1970's - Salt Palace.

Sat near one of the speaker stands, nearly made me deaf. Cheap Trick was the opening act.

My ears rang for weeks.

Date: August 18, 2022 01:28PM

Two good bands.

I saw Cheap Trick just a couple years ago at a local amphitheater. The music was good. The schtick wore a little thin (how many times can Rick Nielsen look at the audience and act surprised?).

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 06:59PM

I saw Cheap Trick and Kansas in Seattle back then. Both bands were great.

Date: August 18, 2022 07:30PM

They were pretty unknown then and opened for Loggins and Messina, the crowd wanted Kansas to keep playing and booed poor Kenny Loggins.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 03:53PM

Screaming Lord Sutch.

Date: August 19, 2022 12:50PM

Was he any good?

(for those unaware, Screaming Lord Sutch was a rock singer but best known as the founder of the Offical Monster Raving Loony Party which is a joke party that nevertheless contests some elections)

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 20, 2022 07:16PM

Soft Machine Wrote:
> Was he any good?
>
> (for those unaware, Screaming Lord Sutch was a
> rock singer but best known as the founder of the
> Offical Monster Raving Loony Party which is a joke
> party that nevertheless contests some elections)

He was very good. Though the stage curtains accidentally set on fire during his version of "Fire". Very dramatic. The two guitarists riffed whilst they rescued the drummer (trapped behind his drums, near the flames) and put the fire out with fire extinguishers. I was at the front of the crowd thinking "****! This isn't good!"

That was in September 1977.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 05:56PM

1964, The Rip Cords. Capital Theatre Lethbridge. They were a California hot rod/surfer duo that had a hit with Hey Little Cobra.Was just prior to getting my license so dad drove me and a buddy into town.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2022 08:18PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: August 18, 2022 07:38PM

A bit of an embarrassment but the first concert I asked a girl out too. I got turned down. She is however a Facebook friend and likes all my posts, so I guess no hard feelings.

Ended up going with one of my best friends and my Dad insisted I not drive, so he picked us up at the curb. Lot's of Freaky People with weed even at a SLC John Denver concert.

Posted by: tilt ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 11:20PM

The Fifth Dimension - Special Events (now Huntsman) Center, U of U

Posted by: warsawdragoon ( )
Date: August 19, 2022 12:08AM

Frank Zappa and the mothers of invention, terrace ballroom late 70's

Posted by: Southbound ( )
Date: August 19, 2022 08:08PM

Kenny Rodgers and the first edition. 1969. Primary on the hill(Ricks College)

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: August 20, 2022 02:13AM

Menudo sometime in the early 80's at the Sunrise Theather in Ft.Lauderdale.

Posted by: concert ( )
Date: August 21, 2022 01:19AM

Morrissey, Viva Hate tour, Chandler, AZ 1989

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: August 21, 2022 10:07AM

That was an amazing tour. I've seen Morrissey many times, and I think that tour was the best.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: August 22, 2022 12:19AM

Chicago in 1973 at the Salt Palace
England Dan and John Ford Coley opened

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 22, 2022 01:17AM

Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Poneys at UCLA, very late 60s.

Posted by: lurker ( )
Date: August 22, 2022 08:11PM

Interesting responses, what I don't see, Phil Collins, pearl jam,red hot chili peppers, Nirvana, bon Jovi, matchbox 20, etc. lots of boomers, early gen-x (like me)mine, Stevie Ray Vaughan, 87, lawlor events center Reno,nv.just wondering if it's the boards demographic, like I said ,interesting

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: August 22, 2022 11:04PM

Olivia Newton-John

14 years old, Ottawa Exhibition Grandstand with my brother

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.