Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: August 20, 2022 01:01PM

A while ago I used the name of an MTC (Director of training) on a post here. I did not like the guy and was angry at him, however having to listen to this guy was one of the things that started me on my path out.
I used his name because he is in a pretty high profile position within the Morg and later was a mission President. I would not be at all surprised if we see him get even higher one day, and I did not see it as any different than people using the names in their stories about other higher ups in the church.
The question is did anyone on here have any problem with me using this guys name or think it was wrong?
Also if you know who I am talking about feel free to share your stories or thoughts.
Thx

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 20, 2022 01:24PM

tombs1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A while ago I used the name of an MTC (Director of
> training) on a post here. I did not like the guy
> and was angry at him, however having to listen to
> this guy was one of the things that started me on
> my path out.
> I used his name because he is in a pretty high
> profile position within the Morg and later was a
> mission President. I would not be at all
> surprised if we see him get even higher one day,
> and I did not see it as any different than people
> using the names in their stories about other
> higher ups in the church.
> The question is did anyone on here have any
> problem with me using this guys name or think it
> was wrong?
> Also if you know who I am talking about feel free
> to share your stories or thoughts.
> Thx

The rules here on RfM prohibit using anyone's real name (or nickname).

In addition, there is a line between reporting something and, in effect, slandering someone--and that line is most often determined by RfM Admin.

Although there may be some inconsistency in applying these rules, for good reason the rules do exist and are applied with the very best judgment of those who are moderating board content--often after requesting input from other mods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2022 01:26PM by Tevai.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 20, 2022 02:40PM

Maybe this means you are moving on. You are confessing to RfM instead of your Bishop.

You are forgiven. Drink a brewski and belch twice.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 20, 2022 03:17PM

Not a good idea.

Posted by: rememer visiting one ( )
Date: August 21, 2022 12:42AM

Years ago I visited the home of a kind elderly man who was a retired BYU professor. During his professorship he spent 3 years with his wife/family in South America as a Mission President. Shortly after retirement (and securing his pension) he was called to go back to South America to be president of a MTC there. For a long time during his professorship he didn't have his pension but he did have his brain. And he figured out that the BoM & other stuff was baloney & also that if he spoke out then his job, salary, pension, and more could blow up. So, he became a compartmentalizer. Well he found himself retired and no longer worried about job/salary/pension & called again to serve in South America. So, he decided to be more vocal in trying to get some good changes made.

He made a list of recommendations to Elder Oaks of the Twelve via letter on things they needed to do differently in South America. However, this letter was not taken too well and he was shortly thereafter "fired" as MTC President. He/wife came home to Utah where they soon bought a motor home and toured the country for over a year. He wanted the Church to leave him alone and found this to be a good way to ensure this.

When they settled down on traveling all the time and got back home near Provo he decided to write a letter to the Editor of the Provo Daily Herald. In it he gave his credentials and made some suggestions on things the Church should change. He just wanted to do what any good honest retired BYU professor should do once they knew the truth. This wasn't too well-received and he was soon excommunicated for apostasy. Before he was ex-ed and behind closed-doors, they tried to get him to undo the "damage" he had done and they warned him how he'd end up excommunicated. And sure enough he was ex'ed for his failure to repent of his disobedience and him writing things that could hurt the Church's wonderful reputation and cause harm to testimonies.

His wife was of course humiliated/embarrassed as a true believer and he felt bad for her. But that whole experience just convinced him even more that the men running the church were selfish and not Christlike at all. When I visited him she was still a believer and their Ward RS President. He would go to Sacrament Meetings with her each week but then get out of there as he found SS/Priesthood to be boring. So, he'd go home and get things done & then go back to pick her up afterwards. He said that many of his nephews and other relatives were very happy when they learned that he had been ex'ed as they had previously felt uncomfortable at family reunions and other extended family activities. But, his letter to the Editor & excommunication gave them hope that they could live authentic lives in their families. For a while he put up a blog and his wife didn't like it because about 2% of the content was about the Church & even though 90% of that part was positive, she really disliked the other 10%.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 21, 2022 01:28AM

A mission president, president of the MTC, and prospective mission president again?

That man had received the second anointing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.