Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 28, 2022 01:22PM

But if you ask, "Why wouldn't a mormon gay student go to BYU" it all becomes . . .   Wait a sec...!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 28, 2022 01:32PM

Covenant is the new word for closet keeping.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 28, 2022 04:12PM

I had a high school friend who went to The Citadel. He told me his dad did give him a choice -- "you can go where you want, but the money is going to The Citadel."

I doubt any LGBTQIA+ student would really want to go to a place like BYU unless there was another motive or reason, but not everybody gets a full scholarship or is ready, willing, and able to join the military.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 28, 2022 06:43PM

BYU gets another black eye. These people are slow learners. They think it is their God-given right to be totalitarian because their god is totalitarian, and they are his enforcers.

Then they get offended when they get called totalitarian goons.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 02, 2022 05:11AM

It's a private school. They have their rules. You don't have to go there. BYU isn't for everybody neither is a monastery.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 29, 2022 10:50AM

The link wouldn't open for me so I don't know what it is, but . . .

Why oh why so the gay kids go to the Y? Back in the seventies . . .

Sometimes you don't know what you are getting yourself into the middle of until you are in the middle of it. That was me. Realized the church was a cult halfway through and then felt stuck. Kept my head down.

Parents paying for college is seductive. That didn't happen for me. I had to pay my way myself and get the scholarships.

Some really think they have a testimony and actually believe its what God wants for them. That it will all workout because Heavenly Father. That wasn't really me either looking back.

Some think is they are just righteous enough that God will fix them. That was more me in 1973 during the mission and the first bit of BYU. But not really me. I knew it wasn't going away no matter what.

Some don't know what the eff they are doing as we were younger than we thought we were back then.

Seems to me though, that BYU's behavior as they continue their ways is turning the light on for the straight kids as much as or even more than the gays. Empathy will get you out of the church as fast as anything else.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 29, 2022 08:19PM

BYU never was attractive to me. I didn't plan on going to school, but when I did go for a while, I went to USU. I couldn't stand the attitude, just a feeling in the air, in Provo. I tried living there for one week when my missionary left on his mission. My sister wanted me to live down there and meet a new guy so I could ditch the missionary. That didn't work out, the move down there and the missionary.

I didn't go to pageants, etc. Just the feeling there I never liked. I saw a thread a few days or weeks ago about having weird feelings at church pageants and such. Yep. I found it to be exceptionally boring and too sweet, too religious. No wonder the temple was so reprehensible to me.

Most people who know me would be shocked by what I just said, but they were around. They knew. I'd turn them down if they asked. Every now and then my youngest brother will say to me "you really don't believe." Me not believing gives him the right to not believe either. No one in my family saw this coming--including the extended family. (Me leaving the church.)

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: August 30, 2022 07:09AM

This is an interesting article, especially byu's statement 'we welcome lgbtq covenant keeping community' what does that mean? I'm unpacking the statement and looking at the 't' in lgbtq it stands for transgender, mormons (unless I'm mistaken) don't believe in sex change opporations or changing gender, but that doing so is a sin against nature,

Byu has unfortunately not made itself clear enough, they don't want to appear homophobic or get called names but in the process have gotten themselves all confused or something.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 30, 2022 04:44PM

Apparently the BYU administrator who approved the inclusion of those booklets is taking a very sudden retirement. From a post on r/exmo:

"In the same week that The RaYnbow Collective's hand-assembled resource pamphlets were removed under the direction of a BYU administrator, the manager of business operations at The Daily Universe communicated through email to previous sponsors their retirement and the closing of the entire business office at the school newspaper. Coincidence or coverup?"

https://old.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/x1nxsi/byu_closes_the_daily_universe_business_office_all/

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 02, 2022 05:05AM

Cheaper tuition. There were gays at BYU when I was there. LGBT was none existent then. Gay parades were only in the very liberal cities like San Francisco. Nobody was talking about gay marriage. The gays were private and did their thing in private and frankly nobody cared,

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 02, 2022 05:30AM

Instead of openly like everyone else...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 02, 2022 12:51PM

To the contrary, many people cared--and those who did had power.

If you were straight and had sex, BYU and the church would ignore it or perhaps discipline you with something between no consequences and excommunication. The odds that you would be expelled from the university were well below 50% and in most cases you could still go on a mission.

If you were gay, meanwhile, they would hook up your genitalia and electrocute you again and again and again and again and again.

Do you really want to minimize that difference?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 02, 2022 01:04PM

Straight students and faculty at BYU had no idea what was really going on.

Here's an excerpt from a memoir from during the time I was there:

"“They started using decoys for entrapment. you know, good-looking security flirting with you among the stacks of books or in the bathroom at the campus library or the harris Fine arts Center, where all the artistic types took classes. Kids who hadn’t even planned on doing anything but couldn’t resist a cute guy ended up in hell. and then,” she said, “the second thing to which I referred—students could get actual credits for posing as gay decoys.”

“What?” I gasped. now it was my turn to join the conversation.

“School credit? For what the hell kind of class?”

“They called it the Justice administration 299R course. some took it—hard to imagine, but true. you have to under- stand the level of panic and fear going through these young brainwashed minds."

The Justice 299R course was real. So did BYU security go to SLC and look for BYU parking stickers on cars parked near the Sun Tavern.

You got caught, you could get some free electricity in the basement of one of the campus buildings, or you could be shamed to your family and kicked out. Your choice.

No. None of the straights knew this was going on. You saw the BYU they wanted you to see.

I lived through it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.