Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 29, 2022 10:50AM

Their PR dept must be working overtime playing whack-a-mole on all the unflattering news reports lately. Front page news on CNN about the black Duke volleyball player who had racial slurs shouted at her at BYU Friday, the removing of materials aimed at LGBTQ incoming students in their welcome bags, the child abuse cover-up from AZ, the employee requirement regarding clergy-member confidentiality, and more.

Would really hate being a door knocking mormon missionary right now and have to answer any of this to an investigator. For that matter, I would hate to be a member right now. SO glad I am out of that horrible organization!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 29, 2022 11:12AM

Right. Plus there has been a lot of chatter on Twitter from people telling their experiences with abuse and church coverup.

On my local news, they made a big deal of showing the coach talking to the fans at a game after the racial slur incident. He was trying to patch up the situation. The person yelling the slurs was not an actual student but it was ugly. I'm pretty sure I know why someone felt comfortable enough doing that there in the BYU environment.

Yes, this has been an especially damaging time for the church. I hope more people there wake up to what their support of people like Mike Lee enables. I wish more women there would step up and refuse to support the "leaders" who suppress them- using God to justify it all.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 29, 2022 12:57PM

Have there been any responses from people who say there were there and tried to get the guy to sit down and shut up?

Or at least, claiming to have been appalled that this was going on in the student body section?

Has anyone offered an explanation as to how he was able to keep up his taunting for the entire game?

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: August 29, 2022 01:02PM

Have you been to a BYU sporting event?
The thin veneer of Mormon civility quickly vanishes and is replaced by vitriol.

Date: August 29, 2022 01:30PM

Why, yes I have been to a BYU sporting event!  Early October of 1965, while at the LTM. We were at the new Lavell Edwards stadium looking at forbidden females while the rest of the crowd watched Virgil Carter and the cougars do who knows what out on the field.

It was a very pristine experience!

Two years later, I began three years of study there, but never attended any sporting events, unless you count dating as an RM at the Y a sporting event...more like shooting fish in a barrel.  

Posted by: villager ( )
Date: September 04, 2022 01:57AM

I am surprised there hasn't been a hourd of iPhone videos come forward catching the incidents.

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: August 29, 2022 01:41PM

"He's not a BYU student, he was just sitting with them" is not the stellar defense the church thinks it is.

And if they've banned him as they claim, then they know who he is. The question now is, will he face church discipline (not for the racism, but for embarrassing the church).

Wonder if the Big 12 is having second thoughts about the inclusion of BYU. Having that won't reflect well on the conference. Oh well. Not my dog, not my turd.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 03, 2022 03:37PM

misplaced

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2022 03:38PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: August 29, 2022 01:55PM

There was also an article this week about how new bYU hires are required to sign away clergy confidentiality, so that BYU administration can question bishops about faculty "worthiness".

This of course highlights what we all know - that clergy-congregant privilege exists solely to benefit the church, as in the sexual abuse reporting scandal. We don't have to report - it's privileged.

But the bishop can discuss issues with the stake president, the high council, the church hotline, probably his wife, and now BYU.

And that's the short list of people who may hear about "privileged" conversations.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: August 29, 2022 02:09PM

If your a common Joe six pack mormon anything you tell anyone in the Church everyone will know unless it's something that would embarrass the Church.

Posted by: tinker57 ( )
Date: August 29, 2022 10:47PM

As one who has been out for 22 years, what a fascinating time to be alive! Every day it seems like some new thing to make them look really bad! I am loving watching it implode....

Date: August 29, 2022 11:10PM

22 years of no tithing, but the blessings keep rolling in!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 04, 2022 02:33AM

Surely it would be blasphemous for any church to ask Jesus to pay tithing.

Date: September 04, 2022 09:40PM

I was congratulating Tinker for her 22 years...

52 years have passed since I last paid tithing.

I don't plan to resign, in case the church finally gets around to giving refunds, with compound interest!!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 04, 2022 10:55PM

I meant the other Jesus.

What an ego you have.

Date: September 05, 2022 12:15AM

leego of my ego!

Date: September 03, 2022 03:38PM

The racial slur incident at BYU is still churning along. South Carolina has just cancelled their women's basketball series with BYU.

Boy, that brings back memories of the mid 1970s at BYU, when a number of universities refused to participate with BYU in events. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

BYU is having trouble verifying exactly what happened. The player is adamant that she heard what she heard. The spectator that was banned was a special-needs person, and video shows that it was almost certainly not him that shouted the slurs, since he was not even in stands when one of the incidents was reported. So that's another whole issue of discrimination against people with special needs

Gordon Monson at the SLTrib has done two very long essays on the event. Today's is a mea culpa, since this is not turning out as cut and dried as he, and others on both sides of the issue (did it, or did it not happen) initially portrayed it. And either way, racism is still a problem in our society, which includes BYU.

Original article
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougars/2022/08/28/gordon-monson-racist-fans-byu/

Today's follow-up
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougars/2022/09/03/gordon-monson-should-i-apologize/

And just to keep the pot boiling, a U of U faculty member reported racial heckling while he waited for the train on campus this week.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2022/09/03/after-slurs-byu-volleyball-match/

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 04, 2022 11:04AM

With all the people there and cameras, she was the only one who really heard it? I can't believe everyone in the area didn't hear the slur and look to see who was doing it.

BYU is going to look even worse if they start accusing her of making it up or being mistaken, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2022 11:09AM by dagny.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 03, 2022 10:50PM

Boyd K Packer said they would have big debates in the Quorum of the Twelve over how much should be spent on BYU. Some of the apostles felt the church was about spreading the gospel and not providing higher education. Others felt the church benefitted from BYU as a Public Relations platform and also as a marriage farm. Boyd said in hind site BYU provided more benefits to the church than liabilities and the church leadership saw it was money well spent.

I wonder if that is changing now. BYU seems to be bringing the church a lot of bad PR and it's become a target and a place of protest. BYU costs the church a lot of money. I wonder if some apostles now are suggesting to close BYU down. You know that would fire up Jeffery Holland and they would get an ear full from him but is BYU still providing more benefit than problems today?

I would say the bigger benefit the church gets is hooking up young member couples and getting them married in the temple. The second benefit is they get an education which means they get better jobs, make more money which the church get's a generous cut of. Also if people went somewhere else other than BYU they might not stay in the church. A person going to Stanford or Yale run a higher probability of leaving the church than staying at BYU but Harvard had quite a few Mormons there when my sister went there. My brother went inactive at Stanford and never came back to church.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 04, 2022 02:50AM

It’s finally being exposed for what it is, the abusive CULT of Joseph’s Myth of Doomsday Sheeple

Date: September 05, 2022 12:16AM

There were no indicators prior to this event?!?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.