Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: September 03, 2022 06:37PM

https://slate.com/culture/2022/09/rachel-richardson-duke-volleyball-byu-heckler-mormons-race-racism.html

This the the first analysis I have come across from a real investigative reporter- as opposed to, say, an academic or a wounded former member- that lays out for all the world how Mormonism actually works. Read the whole thing. I think that this is perhaps the first fallout from recent exposes like Murder Among the Mormons, UTBOH, and When the Moon Turns to Blood, about the Vallow/Daybell affair. Read it to the end.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 03, 2022 07:19PM

My understanding is that the University of South Carolina is now refusing to play BYU. I don't think that will be the only school. Shades of the '70s!

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: September 03, 2022 08:07PM

Yes. But the real message of the article is that Mormons can't be trusted on anything any more- IMO. Thoughts?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 03, 2022 10:00PM

Love this sentence in the article:

“[Jane Manning] James remained a faithful member of the church until her death in 1908. But she did not stay a quiet member.”

They need more of the not-quiet members.

From the article re an incident involving Rachel Richardson, a Duke volleyball player:

“Last Friday night, at Brigham Young University’s Smith Fieldhouse, Duke and BYU women’s volleyball teams squared off as part of a multiteam tournament. During the match, Richardson said, at least one BYU fan in the students’ section yelled the N-word at her. And not just once. Every time she rotated to serve.”

Shortly after the incident, Rachel didn’t call BYU out but rather:

“She [Richardson] invited BYU to use the attack on her as an opportunity to engage in antiracist work, as she and her teammates have done: to study “the roots of racism and how to be an activist in not just dealing with racism, but preventing and ending it.”

That’s quite the display of amazing grace there.

On another note, from the article:

“Tamu Smith, a Black convert, recounted in the documentary Nobody Knows: The Untold Story of Black Mormons, “the first time I was called a n***** was in the Salt Lake Temple.”

Black BYU students, who make up less than 1 percent of the school’s student body, continue to experience similar racist abuse.”

How appallingly disgusting.

From the article:

“…they [Black Mormons] weren’t dupes. They heard a truth in the “small c” church about universal and eternal human families that appealed to them, even while the racist leaders of the “big C” church failed to embody those key aspects of Mormon theologies.”

This is an intriguing insight from the article’s writer. So eternally sad though, isn’t it. People longing for the supernal and finding only racist malignancy.

Thank you for posting that article, slskipper. Well written, interesting and informative.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 03, 2022 11:21PM

It doesn't bring up one of the most important points. The whole pre existence crap. People are born black because they were not valiant in the wars of heaven. They are lucky they got to be born at all but they will have to wear "the mark of Cain" blah blah blah. There is just no getting around it. When the ban was lifted there were a LOT of people not happy about it. They pretend differently now but I was there. It was seen as a sign of the very last days because there is no other reason that THOSE people would be allowed these blessings. One of the HUGE fears was that "those people" would try to date their daughters. And that was in an affluent/progressive So Cal ward.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: September 03, 2022 11:59PM

Susan I/S Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It doesn't bring up one of the most important
> points. The whole pre existence crap. People are
> born black because they were not valiant in the
> wars of heaven. They are lucky they got to be
> born at all but they will have to wear "the mark
> of Cain" blah blah blah. There is just no getting
> around it. When the ban was lifted there were a
> LOT of people not happy about it. They pretend
> differently now but I was there. It was seen as a
> sign of the very last days because there is no
> other reason that THOSE people would be allowed
> these blessings. One of the HUGE fears was that
> "those people" would try to date their daughters.
> And that was in an affluent/progressive So Cal
> ward.

This article talked about so many topics, it could leave the uninformed thinking that these are all the race-based issues that TSCC is grappling with, when we know there are still more.

It was nice seeing them pick apart BYU's namesake for what he was.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 04, 2022 05:57AM

The behaviour she describes is not only racist, but also has a sexual stalker component as well.

Rachel Richardson plays for Duke, is not Mormon, nor associated with BYU.

Why? What would be the motive?

Unless you believe in a vast "anti" victimhood conspiracy of the imagination — and I don't mean only anti-Mormon.

https://sports.yahoo.com/female-duke-volleyball-player-called-racial-slur-at-byu-match-210345557.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2022 06:13AM by anybody.

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: September 04, 2022 03:35PM

It's currently unclear what really happened and there is an investigation going on.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2022/08/30/fan-who-was-banned-by-byu-does/
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougars/2022/09/03/gordon-monson-should-i-apologize/

It is far from settled that this was a hoax and not something else. Until more facts are forthcoming, let's leave it at that.

CZ (admin)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.