Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: September 03, 2022 10:36PM

60 year old Mormon discretely, but not discretely asking me if my parents were okay with my brother marrying a black woman?

Is that Mormon racism or just him being [from] Kentucky?

When I was asked this question, the door in the room opened buying me time to craft a response. I ultimately responded, “Were you fine with your uneducated son-in-law teaching your aimlessly wandering, unmotivated 16-year-old son how to use a gun?”

I don’t think my question sunk in with him when I responded to his nonsense. He just got the message not to talk race issues with me. M

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2022 07:51PM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 04, 2022 03:18PM

That's a very intimate question to ask someone who is just a coworker. I don't think that it necessarily indicate racism, but perhaps more curiosity about how an older (and perhaps more conservative) generation is responding to changing times. You could just respond lightly, or give a non-answer, i.e. "Everyone in my family is doing well, how is your family?" I wouldn't report it unless the pattern of overly familiar questions persists. It sounds like he has more than enough problems, and that the situation will get sorted out in time without you having to lift a finger.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2022 07:37PM by summer.

Posted by: SCMD not logged in ( )
Date: September 04, 2022 06:07PM

If he's at least a fourth-generation Mormon, or maybe even third-generation, his question was probably influenced by his Mormonism. If not, it's probably a regional thing, though everyone in the region obviously doesn't deserve to be painted with the same brush.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 06, 2022 12:15PM

>> Kentucky trash <<

Stereotype much? Jeez!

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: September 06, 2022 01:21PM

¿Porqué no los dos?

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: September 06, 2022 01:27PM

To echo what others have said, this sort of casual racism can't be ascribed to just one area of the country. It's everywhere. I went to high school in a suburb of Tacoma, WA, where multiple cars in the student lot proudly wore confederate flags. And my grandparents lived a mile down the road from the Aryan Nations compound before they were booted from Idaho.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.