Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 07:51PM

My kids are at a sleepover with their cousins and DH has to work til late tonight so I thought, "Hey, I'm going to try having a beer tonight." I've tried beer once or twice throughout the years but literally, only one or two tastes. With everyone away, I feel comfortable having a beer and seeing how I like it.

Good call - DH finally told his sister we wouldn't be at her temple wedding in August just now. When he came home for his dinner, he found a message from her about the wedding on our phone so he figured he'd seize the moment. I wanted him to wait til mid-August at least, so she wouldn't flip. But he wanted to tell her when she called to talk about the wedding date. All he said was that neither of us had a temple recommend right now because we were working through some things. He kept is very short. He assured her we love her and her husband (well, I'm not entirely sure about that last one but I'm still keeping an open mind) and that we'd be happy to go out to dinner afterward with everyone blah, blah, blah. He said she didn't express any upset but she was in a hurry to get off the phone. Great. She is probably burning up the phone lines to DH's family members. Thankfully, several of them won't be attending either, but they are the ones who've had continual problems "accepting the gospel." Not stalwart big brother and his RM, BYU grad wifey. Ugh. Then DH bravely went back to his office and left me here to worry.

I'm going to grab that Corona now. Hasta luego

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2011 07:53PM by CA girl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 07:56PM

That sucks. Hopefully the fallout won't be too bad, but it had to come out at some point and maybe this way his family can ease into the idea.

Corona is a great first beer. You might want to try it with some sort of Mexican food. I like it with a slice of lemon or lime. ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2011 07:57PM by Makurosu.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 01:21PM

I think it's one of the worst damn beers on the planet.

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 08:04PM

Hope you enjoy it, CAgirl.:) I think it is normal to feel anxious when you are "outed" for the first time, even if he didn't give specifics. This is the first step for you. All you can do now is sit back and see what happens. As long as you and your DH stick together and not let the crap come between you, you can face anything. You are doing well!

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 08:13PM

I hope you get through your evening okay.

Side note: I will be in Orange County the end of this month. I think it could be cool to meet up. If you are interested, shoot me an email. ; )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2011 08:13PM by Queen of Denial.

Date: July 13, 2011 10:56PM

I'll e-mail you.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 09:23PM

Sorry you have to deal with this.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 10:47PM

In a gentle but clear way, he conveyed the message. I liked the way he put it, too.

From what you have said in the past, DH finds it challenging to set boundaries with his family. So to have done this, and to have done it so well, is a big step for him. Congrats to both of you!

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 10:53PM

Date: July 13, 2011 10:55PM

I'm just glad you all are here. I was kinda punchy earlier - wishing I had someone to talk to. I don't know how people did it without support boards like this one because I really couldn't think of anyone else to talk to. Most of my people are LDS or inactives I haven't seen in ages or non-LDS who really wouldn't get it - well, the friends I have - wonderful as they are. So thanks a lot for your support and feedback.

Oh, and I don't think I'll be changing my board name to Beer Girl any time soon. LOL. I see what everyone has been saying about it being an acquired taste.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 11:07PM

I love Blue Moon but didn't know about the wheat ale. Sounds yummy! Beer is definitely an acqired taste. I love a really cold beer every now and then.

Date: July 13, 2011 11:12PM

I thought about trying a Red Stripe or a Heineken because I'd heard good things about them but settled for the Corona because I'd heard it was a good starter beer. I'd probably have a beer occasionally if I were somewhere others were drinking them. It wasn't bad - just very different. I prefer rum and Coke

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 01:06PM

I'm trying to think of a good lawnmower beer that would be widely available (not just here in Texas). Corona or maybe Corona light for a first timer, but Corona is nothing special.

If I could give you a few widely available but reasonable beers to line up and taste test against the Corona (preferably with help from a friend), I would say try a Redhook ale, an IPA like their Longhammer (will teach you what hops are all about) and a Samuel Adams lager and Samuel Adams summer ale. Oh yeah, on the west coast you have access to Anchor Steam beers, some of the best in the world out of San Francisco. Their Liberty Ale is very hoppy, and their Anchor Steam lager is outstanding. Toward the maltier, darker, less hoppy beers, you might really like a sweet, smooth brown ale like Newcastle brown ale. It is pretty popular. (Okay, I care too much about beer.)

As far as widely availble goes, the Samuel Adams beers are well regarded and you can even get them in a variety pack. There are also some restaurants/pubs that have a beer sampler on the menu. That can be a fun way to try different styles of beers with friends.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 01:19PM

Haven't tried the Bud Light lime yet. Corona is a good choice for the aspiring newbie.

I loves me some Red Stripe every once in a while.

Party on, mates!

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2011 04:44PM by Timothy.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 01:54PM

IPAs are usually too much for novice beer drinkers.

Posted by: MrZ ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 08:48AM

Id go out and get drunk if I didnt have this fear of becoming an alcoholic! Too bad weed didnt get legalized, that stuff just makes sense.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 08:50AM

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 10:29AM

Beer is definitely an acquired taste that I never acquired. I can't get past the smell. I prefer wine or a girly cocktail.

I think DH handled his sister very well. Glad you and he are on the same page.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 11:05AM

Celebrate this moment. The stone has been pushed over the edge and is starting to roll. Geting it started is the hard part, now you can just sit back and watch the excitement as it tumbles, twists, and bounces down the hill. Everyones reactions can make you sad and angry, or make you laugh. I chose laugh.

Posted by: notinspite ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 02:57PM

Blue moon is my fav. When do you think you are going to tell them that you are completely out of the church? Are you? I was scared for a little over a year to do it. It was the most liberating thing for me. I think it would be much harder if I had children involved and I was married in the temple. Good luck, I am thankful for this board all the time because Mormons love painting their perfect picture of family life. Life on the outside is super hard at first!

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 03:35PM

How cute! Your gonna buy beer. (oh, you already bought it) What's that light one with the lime? Its good for beer sissies like me. Pouring it in a glass helps it go down better. If you want a buzz though Modelo dark will do it and it tastes good. I treasure time alone. I hardly EVER get to be by myself. Enjoy! Telling her you aren't attending has to be a relief in and of itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2011 03:36PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 03:46PM

One of the best drunks I ever pulled was on some cheap mezcal that was brewed in Mazatlan. The name of the rot gut was El Cortio and it was the cheapest swill on the shelve. It had a big fat agave worm and the taste of a wood fire. Everyone was scared to drink it but man the drunk that stuff gave me was magical. Maybe something else was in it besides just ethanol but sometimes you got to give up taste for the spiritual experience. I got closer to God on "El Cortio" than I ever did doing any of that Mormon hocus pocus.

Date: July 14, 2011 03:57PM

for next time I decide to give beer a try. And I am a bit worried about the fallout from not attending SIL's wedding but it's funny how the worry is the worst part. Actually coming out and standing up for yourself and drawing your boundary lines feels pretty good. I'm more worried about the crap DH will get from his family now because, having had some time to think about it and some beer, I really am pretty confident I'm doing the right thing. And comfortable in what's right for me. I just dread dealing with the crap-fest on DH's side.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.