Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: September 07, 2022 12:56PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 07, 2022 01:09PM

Golf.

Straight forward, simple.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 08, 2022 02:10AM

Yup. People who are obsessed about stroking balls like to be around each other.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: September 10, 2022 05:43PM

The pub.

In fact, we had several exmo meet ups in the Briar Rose in Birmingham!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 07, 2022 01:37PM

It was the 70's. You had to be there though.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: September 07, 2022 02:39PM

Church was never my community to begin with.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 07, 2022 02:42PM

So very true for me as well. I cannot imagine that I tried to make that work. . .

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 07, 2022 03:20PM

By being a good Neighbor, friend, brother, son, dad, co-worker.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 07, 2022 11:59PM

^ ^ ^

And always look behind you before you let go of a commercial door.

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: September 08, 2022 12:12AM

My employment, and small business

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 08, 2022 12:34AM

Volunteer in your community. A great way to meet people, do something constructive and often you meet people that are good people and care about others. Join a community sports team. Take a class in something you are interested in. Cooking, auto, woodworking, computer skills, see what your community center has to offer.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 08, 2022 02:05AM

I never really considered the church part of my community. Most my real friends were non-members. I just put up with the church thing to not disappoint family. It’s easy to make friends outside of the church social click. Just be friendly and outgoing. You have to make friends and if you are the type of person people like to hang around you will find a couple.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 08, 2022 02:25PM

I just started doing things I enjoyed and being around people I enjoyed. Some that I had things in common with and others that brought new to my life because I had nothing in common, but, there was something there;something fascinating.

Flying by the seat of your pants is usually how you get really lofty. That was easier, as I said earlier, in the 70's before offending someone became a crime worthy of incarceration.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 11:17AM

I went to the church because I thought I had to. At this point, 4 of my 5 siblings are out. My oldest sister just left. My younger brother is disabled and the church seems to work for him. The mormons are pretty good to him. He has a lot of childhood friends who still watch out for him and take care of him. Here my mother was so concerned about what would happen when she died. He has done amazingly well in the 14 years since she died.

My siblings, my "husband," a few of his ex-boyfriends. I have a lot of people I deal with daily who are exmormons. My son likes to talk about it the most and I took him out when he was 8. BUT his twin sister went back and he so hates the mormons as has caused problems between them. I've never needed a lot of people around me, so this is enough. Otherwise, I live AMONGST the mormons on every side. Most of the recent bishops lived very near to me, like next door, 2 doors down, on the other side next door, 2 doors down. I don't know how they all end up being my neighbors.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 11:53AM

Finding things you enjoy and can help in the community.

I helped start the soccer association in our city nearly 30 years ago as were leaving Mormonism. There were no girls teams. As a founding member of the soccer board, we created the first community girls teams and I coached a U12 girls team of which my daughter was a part. This group of girls stayed together, with me as coach, all the way up to the first year of college. I have been to their weddings and now see their children and spouses around town. A fellow coach has become a life time friend.

Music. I stupidly gave it up due to the demands of the cult. Now I play in numerous groups and get called on to play 4 or more musicals a year. I have had to turn down requests lately to play as I am getting too busy. It is a great way to meet new people. It does not have to be music, almost any art becomes a wonderful opportunity to find community.

You just have to get out there. There are few people more introverted than me. Push yourself a bit into some discomfort, if necessary, to make a new community.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 03:04PM

Eric K Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I helped start the soccer association in our city
> nearly 30 years ago as were leaving Mormonism.
> There were no girls teams. As a founding member
> of the soccer board, we created the first
> community girls teams and I coached a U12 girls
> team of which my daughter was a part. This group
> of girls stayed together, with me as coach, all
> the way up to the first year of college. I have
> been to their weddings and now see their children
> and spouses around town. A fellow coach has
> become a life time friend.

Love this--and wholeheartedly agree.

I've coached kids sports, girls and boys, for years. I used to tell people that my new religion was sports and my chapel the fields of the local leagues, for the values taught to children in such venues are much closer to real religion than those of religion itself. And yes, the friendships with children and with fellow coaches last for a very, very long time.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: September 12, 2022 02:54AM

start a meetup group. i'm not kidding

somebody in my area set one up for former christian fundamentalists but anybody can join

really cool people trying to make sense of the abuse they endured for years

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: September 12, 2022 05:59AM

I have to agree with darth jesus.

I'm not a big investor, but I go to crypto meetups. I've met a few people that are like-minded when it comes to personal freedom, politics, and health.

One of the guys formed an online workout accountability group. That's been a great way to build rapport, community, and camaraderie.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 12, 2022 10:45PM

98% of my friends are non Mormon and the other 2% are inactive so I still have coffee with the same people...same beer crowd too. And not many Mormon hot rodders either...my other passion

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.