Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: September 07, 2022 04:36PM

I am just curious if any of you got comments when nevermos saw your family, in those pictures by a large tree and wearing matching flannel or denim shirts and pants.

Every time I saw those pictures, I thought, "[The mother's] poor v----a!" or "How are they affording this?" Or, "The dad is kind of an oddball. What woman would make 5 kids with him?"

The Mormons I know suffer from "the soft bigotry of low expectations." Just having kids is like winning the Nobel Prize in their family. The fathers are really, really, really proud of their daughters for being fertile. Like totally proud.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 07, 2022 04:47PM

Half of the ones I've seen look like they should be posted on AwkwardFamilyPhotos dot com!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 07, 2022 04:48PM

Hey, be nice. That's my family page!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2022 04:52PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 07, 2022 06:20PM

?

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: September 07, 2022 06:31PM

Not sure how this fits in with the topic, but I have a friendship relationship with an LDS family thru school age kids and relatives.

The LDS oldest daughter graduated from HS about 3 years ago. She was very active in leadership roles in school, have great grades, well like, etc.

She went to BYU for a year and got her mission letter. Spent 18 months in the SXSW area of US. With the pandemic she spent very little or no time going door to door, all online tracing.

Just before she left on her mission, she stated her goals were to go back to BYU, get married and have a ton of kids.

She left for Utah a couple weeks ago, but according to her parents, she was making a detour to meet up with her boyfriend somewhere in the middle of rural Wyoming. Parents know very little about the possible future son-in-law.

The parents are very concerned, BYU is no longer a dream, but a Wyoming rancher/cowboy husband might be in the works.

I can't find out if the boyfriend is a RM or even if he's LDS.

Stay tuned as the story develops.

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: September 07, 2022 07:55PM

98% of the kids I went to school with inWyoming were LDS and many of their ancestors were polygamists hiding from the law.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 01:19PM

Found out the RM boyfriend resides in a small town in Star Valley.

All indications he's LDS and is attending a JC in Wyoming.

Parents hoping that the RM will get her BYU degree before anyone gets married.

End of my input in the matter.

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: September 08, 2022 09:59AM

I've got some, back in the 80s everyone was cowboy, there were more farms, people were connected to the land. Instead of staring at screens and going to Starbucks. There was more since of pride of ranching, Dallas was America's #1 show for how many years, and of course we had Hollywood's cowboy rancher Ronald Reagan in the white house, it was a better time, we've become more soft since those days.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 08, 2022 10:28AM

My mother did get our pictures taken of just us. I found one in the bottom of my closet recently and put it on the refrig. I think I'm 8, but not sure. We had one family picture taken when I was in my 20s. My mom didn't like how they turned out, so didn't order any. I know the samples?? Proofs? Are somewhere in my parents' house and I need to go look for them.

The only other family pictures are at weddings and we'll have to cover the picture of the person we were marrying at the time.

I'm not so sure my dad wanted us to produce a lot of kids. He was just more concerned with if we had a nice husband and he hated my "husband." Told my aunt at my mother's funeral that he wished my husband was dead. You didn't treat his kids or grandkids poorly.

Posted by: 1206 ( )
Date: September 08, 2022 05:11PM

I saw one of those pictures being made a number of years ago at Grand Teton National Park. It checked all the boxes: 50+ people with numerous infants and tots; big tree as background; every male dressed exactly alike with cowboy hat, white long sleeve shirt, jeans, cowboy boots; adult females with a synthetic, Stepford via Mary Kay appearance; etc.

Total creep-fest.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 08, 2022 08:04PM

What I inevitably hear is, "I can't believe anyone would sleep with you! You must thank ghawd for alcohol, right?“

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 03:55PM

The doctor that delivered my first child while I was at BYU had a big picture of his big family all dressed in matching jeans and sweaters, by a big tree in his big yard in front of his big house, hanging in his office.

How ideal it seemed to me at the time.

Years later I read an article in the news that he and a few others had been busted and was off to prison for making conterfiet drugs south of the border and selling them online as the real thing to people that were rejected by all the other legit online drug companies.

I suppose now he could take a picture with all his pals in matching orange jumpsuits out in the prison yard and hang it in his cell.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 04:00PM

The pre-Celestial photo lineups.

My one TBM offspring's family used to do this yearly. But Covid-19 spoiled it by killing my daughter's husband. ...all part of the plan, right?

Date: September 09, 2022 04:06PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I suppose now he could take a picture with all his
> pals in matching orange jumpsuits out in the
> prison yard and hang it in his cell.

Sort of like these from 19th century Utah?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gBR1JfcsRkI/UGE64YyF3kI/AAAAAAAAAzU/nfrRUUpBVF8/s1600/Mormons+in+Prison..jpg

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-aGmHqgQSj_Y/UOe58xTVg5I/AAAAAAAAEGY/to5wSgUH3mY/s1600/Polygamists__large2.jpg

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 04:13PM

Mormons? In prison? Trumped up charges and fake news!! However, they do look a little inbred.

Date: September 09, 2022 04:30PM

"I don't know that we practice polygamy. I don't know that we emphasize it."

--Gordon's grandfather, a-runnin' from the law, Dixie Utah, 1895.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: September 10, 2022 04:23PM

Somewhat the opposite of what is being asked, but...

We once posted a picture of my daughter at her 8th grade promotion, where she wore a tasteful sleeveless dress.

My sister sent me a text. She apparently felt compelled, maybe even inspired, to tell me that my daughter looked like a prostitute.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: September 10, 2022 06:21PM

Good grief. Sorry you had to deal with that.

The first time I took my late wife and our girls to visit the TBM clan, my daughters were 8 and 10. After we’d been at their house a little while, and the kids were all playing, my TBM sister-in-law hunted me down to tell me that my brother didn’t like my youngest girls’s shirt. It was a sleeveless red blouse with psychedelic peace signs all over. My brother is uber conservative, so I assumed he didn’t like the peace signs or “hippie” styling, so I said, “it’s not a political statement. She just likes the colors.” Little did I know (until I started hanging out here) that he was apparently having impure thoughts about my 8 year old’s bare arms! It’s probably a good thing that I didn’t know, because I’d have either gotten really angry, or packed us up to leave, or both.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.