Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 10:20AM

Miss Jackson if you're nasty...

I mean, I've sinned some but only with myself.

I guess if all I want to do is be offended and sin, I'm working really hard!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 11:11AM

I have too many other things to deal with right now that recovery from mormonism is on the back burner.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 12:24PM

Forgiving is fine if warranted. Forgetting is over rated and not possible and remembering actually works as a tool in your arsenal to navigate life. The trick is to defang the remembering by talking it to death. That is where RFM comes in.

I came to RFM the first time because someone told me about it and I thought "recovering" was the wrong idea. Moving on is the way to go. Healing is good. I still don't understand recovery. Your flesh heals but not so sure about the psyche.

I came to understand what Mormonism had done to be by excavating belatedly. That I recommend. You got to have a good long look at that mess. But it got done to you and you can't change it.

In the end, the best healing comes from understanding Negativity Bias and Control Illusion.

You can dilute the pint of pain you feel with a thousand gallons of spring water but if when you deep sea dive all you see at the bottom among the sea stars and ruffled sea weed is the pint of pain in the green bottle on the sand, then time to dig deep, make peace that the bottle will always be there and maybe even give it a loving pat before surfacing.

However. Some wounds will not heal and some bottles float on top. Your pain is hard to fathom sometimes, EB, if I read right, along with some others. Apologies if I don't. All I can say is I wish you the best, and, I wish you a lot more spring water.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 12:39PM

I'm attending church more plus trying to do my ministering better.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 01:54PM

You should have a heart to heart with your bishop so he can help you be the best mormon possible.

He's the father of the ward and he wants what's best...

Date: September 09, 2022 03:43PM

Remember I'm not a mormon anymore so that would also make me an exmormon now. Scarry Eh?

Date: September 09, 2022 03:56PM

Your bishop still loves you and wants what's best for you ... in terms of what's best for the church.

One must admit that the one true church has standards, no matter how often they are changed.

Date: September 09, 2022 04:24PM

I'm sorry but I can't take anyone with short hair seriously since they are in a willful state of rebellion.
Short hair leads to drug use & sin!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 04:28PM

Is the LDS coming on too hard?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 04:38PM

PHIL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Remember I'm not a mormon anymore so that would
> also make me an exmormon now. Scarry Eh?

Welcome to our side, PHIL. What was it that convinced you?
:)

Date: September 09, 2022 04:50PM

I think he followed his prophet there.

Date: September 09, 2022 07:09PM

Correct.

Date: September 10, 2022 08:57AM

Not to worry. My shelf is still well intact.

Date: September 10, 2022 11:20PM

Not worried. Your shelf life is eternity.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 04:16PM

Religion is for two kinds of people: sociopaths and their enablers. How is letting yourself be scammed "making Jesus happy"?

Think of a watering hole on the African savanna. Predators go there because that's where the food is. So how do you know who is a wolf in sheep's clothing? You don't. You can't detect a true crazy because they've honed their blending-in skills over a lifetime of survival.

Credulity is not your friend if it makes you an enabler. Leaches and predators will suck you dry and chew on your bones if you let them. That’s what ministering gets you. Mormons are out to scam God, scam each other, and scam themselves. I have a better idea. How about we not?

Date: September 09, 2022 04:30PM

Sure, it looks good on paper, but then how do we keep score!

Date: September 09, 2022 04:33PM

As long as I don't have to bottle it up and sell it. Thanks

D&D spring water that is. I would like to be plastic free diving but that might not be possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2022 04:35PM by Elder Berry.

Date: September 09, 2022 04:57PM

Yeah. Just *try* and avoid plastic. Anywhere.

You made me wonder. Are sacrament cups still paper?

Date: September 10, 2022 11:21PM

Yes.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 11, 2022 01:13AM

When I did the sacrament the cups were plastic.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 11, 2022 01:24AM

I've seen both, but definitely a lot of plastic.

In fact, this type of plastic cup . . .

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.org/wcsimages/LDSCAS/products/000/15700_81056000_000_p_348.jpg

. .. used to be offered on the church's website.

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.org/usa/en/sacrament-cups-81056000

I guess the revenues are no longer worth the public relations cost.

Or else God changed his mind.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 04:54PM

What I wanna know is.....what has recovery done for me lately?

Date: September 09, 2022 05:23PM

Made you a lie.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 04:56PM

Enjoyed some very nice Nauvoo made wine.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 07:10PM

hookers and cocaine

Date: September 10, 2022 11:26PM

I gave those up. It was getting too expensive.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 10:26PM

I tried to remember the dudes name I sent my resignation letter was it ? Dodge? I wonder if he is among us after processing all those resignations.

Guess I have too much free time since I am dwelling on this.

Date: September 09, 2022 10:37PM

Yep. Greg.

Date: September 10, 2022 11:27PM

Yeah. I wonder if Dodge got out of Dodge?

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 11, 2022 03:18AM

Yes he did. I will always wonder why. He was a very nice man and did work with us as far as his job allowed. I still think it is a shame they didn't let him have the Christmas tree we wanted to give him.

Date: September 09, 2022 11:51PM

Gleefully confined myself to my basement shop—-106 degrees outside, 82 degrees in my shop. Glance at RfM a lot, vacuum spider webs, cut glass, solder lead, and enjoying every moment.

Anything that creates joy helps recovery.

Date: September 10, 2022 12:35AM

One of the simplest, safest, most genuine joys in exmo life has to be guilt-free sleeping-in on Sundays.

Sundays as a day of rest... Weird!!

Date: September 10, 2022 11:22PM

Kathleen Wrote:
> Anything that creates joy helps recovery.

I love love love this.

Date: September 11, 2022 03:29AM

Oh I just HATE you Kathleen! I have always wanted to try that but I am afraid. Hot things + sharp things = a VERY stupid Susan. It wouldn't be an accident waiting to happen, it would be how bad an accident. I almost bought a heat press then thought about the damage I could do to myself and bought an EasyPress lol. Do you take commissions? No, seriously, do you???

Plus, I think if I brought one more art/craft into this house Hubs will divorce me. I am hiding the beginner amigurumi kit I just got (but it was on sale and I have wanted to try for a long time!) and will only work on it after he goes to bed. Me bad.

Date: September 13, 2022 08:37AM

Hi Susan, you gotta stay clear of the business end of that soldering iron, that’s for sure. I don’t do commissions, but I know ppl who do, tho, whom I could put you in touch with.

And you’d definitely have to keep your hubs away from this craft. If yours is anything like mine—-he just looks at stuff and it gets broken. Darling man, but . . . Luckily, my shop is 5’5” tall, and I’m 5’3”. I’m the only one in the outfit who fits down there. Did you you once say you’re 503? You’d be welcome !! :D

Amigurumi is what has me envious !!!!! Oh, I love yarn!

Date: September 13, 2022 02:21PM

Kathleen Wrote:
> Luckily, my shop is
> 5’5” tall, and I’m 5’3”. I’m the only
> one in the outfit who fits down there.

Love it.

Date: September 13, 2022 02:25PM

So you’re saying you could skip rope in her shop?

Slowly the pieces begin to form a picture. . .

Date: September 13, 2022 02:28PM

Only if the rope is made of yarn.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: September 10, 2022 05:31AM

let's see, where should i start. right after i sent my resignation letter i....

* spent a night with a really good looking hooker
* burned a book of mormon
* set apart 10% of my salary (before taxes of course) and bought new clothes
* drank tea oh my god, the horror

finally, at last, i was being myself. after the rush of freedom, i started investing on my education as much as i could. never been happier

Date: September 10, 2022 10:17AM

Yes! Education. *That* is the pinnacle of the recovery. And not just the one you get in school. But the one you finally get from just allowing yourself to look at all of life and this time with only the proper amount of judgement.

Date: September 11, 2022 03:44AM

I have actually done something I think qualifies. Amazing how after 40+ years there can be anything. It made me as uncomfortable as buying cake mix or a pie. I bought a couple of Saint medals. Gulp. Yes, I did that. Idols! But they are not Roman Catholic so they don't count as much right? I could only get them from Ukraine so um, I am really just helping their economy. Right? And since the food is sooo good it is fine that I learn to make a few things for her feast day next July. Right???? Besides, it really is admiration not worship. And I don't wear them, just have them. I only have one chain that would work and I will not stop wearing my tryzub lol!

Date: September 11, 2022 03:53AM

I remember the first few times I spent extended times in East and Southeast Asia, where there is a lot of excellent Buddhist/Hindu/Shinto/Animist art. Before returning to my family home, I bought some inexpensive religious statuary as souvenirs.

My parents were impressed. They are very TBM but they generally have a good sense of aesthetics, so they put the pieces up in prominent places around the house. The only thing that unnerved them was when I commented that, "Asia has the best gods nowadays. You just can't find them in the West anymore."

After an awkward pause, they laughed. Fortunately.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: September 12, 2022 06:15AM

I've started doing 75 hard. Like the name says, it's HARD.

Very simple program:
Take a progress picture every day
45 min workout x 2 (one must be outdoors)
Drink 1 gallon of water per day
Read 10 pages of non-fiction per day (something educational)
Follow a diet (you choose) no cheat meals
No alcohol

Miss one and you start over.

I'm on day 12 - started Sept 1.
It was a hot summer where I live, but it's cooled down in the last few weeks, so it was a perfect time to start.

I chose no refined sugar and no refined carbs. I was a sugar fiend for years, so I thought going off of sugar was going to be a hardship. But I've found out the hardest thing is finishing 1 gallon of water. Actually, where I live we don't have gallons, so I drink 4 liters. 1 gallon is 3.78 liters, so I'm actually going above and beyond, but 2 x 2 liters of water is easy to track. With 4 liters of water, I just don't get hungry, so the diet is easy. I ate one steak the other day, and that was it. It's kind of like a forced intermittent fasting. But after a few days of working out hard, I had 3 hearty meals the next day.

There are 2 workouts x 45 minutes. One must be outdoors, no matter what the weather. But fundamentally it's not a workout program. The point is mental toughness. One day I walked 45 minutes in the rain, without an umbrella. If it snows, I'll walk in the snow.

Also, the workouts just have to include intentional movement. It doesn't mean you have to lift weights or run. An outdoor workout can include walking. That's what I do. An indoor workout (intentional movement) can mean stretching, calisthenics, or body weight exercises.

Alcohol is easy. I don't drink. It doesn't agree with me. My accountability partners struggled with not drinking the first week, now it's routine.

I have a group of online accountability buddies, 2 that I know in real life. We keep each other motivated. We all started Sept 1. One guy had to start over. I forget why. But we all support each other.

That's what I'm doing.

Date: September 12, 2022 10:59AM

I'm impressed. I don't know if you've heard of Wim Hof but I like his stuff.

Date: September 13, 2022 10:37AM

I'll have to check him out.

Posted by: Braggadocious ( )
Date: September 12, 2022 01:58PM

Okay, fine!

October 2021 I weighed 220 lbs, down from 232 lbs. Christmas of 2021. I could only do slow walking because of an aortic aneurysm, and doing it just by dieting is hard for modern Americans!

Then I had the surgery to fix the aneurysm in late October. I picked up the pace on the walking. Six weeks later I was at 216 lbs. and the doc said you're fixed, so brush your teeth, comb your hair and go be a person.

I upped the mileage and the pace and work out at least five hours a day, four or five days a week with no dieting, other than no red meats.

I weigh 168 pounds right now after a breakfast of two big homemade waffles drenched in fresh diced and sugared strawberries.

I went from 38" pants to 32" pants, which are loose on me. I'm shooting for 160 and then I'll reassess.

Six to eight to ten mile jaunts, throwing some weights around and the real hard work: trying to appear humble. That's the hardest part, so thanks for this opening!

Date: September 12, 2022 02:55PM

Congrats.

Date: September 13, 2022 10:38AM

Congrats!

Date: September 14, 2022 04:29PM

I broke my big toe last night. . . Even THAT is recovery from mormonism!

Date: September 14, 2022 04:43PM

Jumping rope in your shop?

Date: September 14, 2022 05:14PM

Hmmmm. Maybe that’s how I got the bump on my head along w a broken toe. Hiccuping down there can be a hazard.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.